“Smaller sometimes is better” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Inn at San Pancho, Home of the GataGorda

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Inn at San Pancho, Home of the GataGorda
48 Retorno Camboya, San Francisco 63732, Mexico   |
Tampa
“Smaller sometimes is better”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2007

The Casa Gorda is a beautiful house just a few blocks walk from downtown San Pancho. For anyone looking to get away from it all this is definitely the place to go. Quaint town, shopping, local restaurants and flavor. I could have relaxed at the Casa Gorda for weeks. Eileen, the owner, couldn't have been kinder and more helpful. She really went out of her way to make sure My wife, 3yr old, and myself were right at home.

The weather couldn't have been better for us. No rain and hardly a cloud in the sky for 5 days. Eileen said that late fall and winter is the dry season.

• Liked — Clean, quiet, and safe. Owner Eileen is awesome !!!!
  • Disliked — Bugs are everwhere in Mexico and some get in the room....
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

95 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
San Francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2007

My husband and I stayed in Casa Nopal, the downstairs "casita", with our 14 month old son for a week. We wanted to get away from our busy lives and this was the perfect place to do it. Our room was extremely clean, tastefully furnished, spacious, airy, had a view of the ocean and had a functional kitchenette (essential for a toddler). The pool (which we had to ourselves most of the time) was beautiful, it has chairs and loungers where you can enjoy its lovely view of the ocean (or just read your book!)! Eileen and Tory, the owners, were very friendly and always helpful. Overall, the Inn exceeded all my expectations.

San Pancho itself is a small, quiet town. There are a handful of places to eat, all the ones we tried were good. We also ate a couple of evenings in Sayulita, just 10 mins drive away, which has a many more restaurants to choose from. The beach in San Pancho is about 15 mins walk from the Inn, but since it isn't really a swimming beach (ripe tides) we found we spent more time using the pool at the Inn. There isn't a lot going on in the town itself, but that's part of its beauty, it hasn't become over-run with tourists and truly is the perfect place to "get away from it all".

• Liked — Pool
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Seattle, WA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2007

The Inn of the GataGorda is a wonderful place to "get away from it all". Situated about a five minute walk from the beach at San Francisco (affectionately called San Pancho; about an hour’s drive north of Puerto Vallarta) and perched on a hill overlooking the Pacific, the Inn has two "casitas" or apartments located together in a building separate from owner's house. Casa Agave is located directly above Casa Nopal. Another apartment, “Villa Victoria”, is located underneath the owners’ upstairs residence.

The Inn is well (and accurately) described on the web site [--]. The owners graciously accommodated my travel schedule by putting me up for one night in Villa V, which had a lovely bedroom, colorful big bathroom, a spacious, comfortable sitting/reading area, a big outside porch with an incredible view, and a kitchen with all the necessities and comforts of home. Similarly, Casa Nopal was bright, airy, comfortable, and colorfully decorated in Mexican motifs. I was worried that being in a downstairs room would mean noise from above, but both buildings are solidly built, so ambient sound was not an issue. Now mind you, this is still a Mexican village, where noise ordinances are nonexistent, so you will hear roosters crowing at “dawn” (whenever they feel like it) and dogs barking at night, so if you’re a light sleeper earplugs are a good idea to bring for any Mexican adventure outside of the tourist enclaves (which aren’t really Mexico at all).

San Pancho is a lovely seaside town that is still relatively undiscovered, but which has a sufficient variety of restaurants and beach bars that you can eat out relatively inexpensively, or splurge if you feel like it. I chose to have breakfast at “home” (the owners kindly picked up a few essentials like coffee, fruit, milk, and cereal on the day I arrived) and eat out the rest of the time, but the kitchens are well-appointed for those who choose to cook in. There are several moderately priced restaurants and taquerias nearby, with a few upscale restaurants too, all within walking distance of the Inn. I particularly enjoyed Celia’s, a small restaurant on the main road into town, with their camarones aguachiles, a ceviche-like dish consisting of raw shrimp “cooked” in lime juice and green chile sauce, served with pepinos (cucumbers) and sliced onions, with a side of tostitas and awesome salsa. Bring your own 12 oz. Pacifico cervezas if you’re not up for drinking one of the quarts sold at the restaurant!

In short, the Inn of the GataGorda is a great place to stay with an incredible saltwater pool, beautiful beach on the Pacific Ocean located a short walk away, spacious, clean, new, colorful accommodations, and very friendly, helpful owners. Highly recommended!

• Stayed February 2007, traveled solo
MASS
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2007

As I had never traveled to Mexico before I wasn't sure what to expect. I got exactly what I wanted: a friendly and peaceful, small fishing village and a most comfortable and aesthetically pleasing casida to stay in. Though there are small shops, taco stands, and a few high end restaurants, it is not a touristy town. The sunsets are gorgeous, and often when I was there a local organization which serves to protect endangered large turtles, would release the little ones onto the beach while people congregated to watch them make it into the ocean. I felt like I was in a National Geographic story. Also, you do not need to speak Spanish, but of course one tries to out of courtesy to the kind natives of San Pancho.

I also felt very tended to by the owners Eileen and Tory who made sure I was comfortable. I soaked up the pleasure of solitude while exploring San Pancho and another somewhat larger town, Sayulita. San Pancho was my favorite. I met several ex-patriots who were very friendly and interesting. And even though the weather was cloudy (very unusual) some of my visit, I still thoroughly enjoyed myself, including going into town everyday and to the beach, which is about a 5 minute walk, as well as sitting around the lovely blue pool and enjoying its views of the ocean, the town below and the surrounding lush landscape and mountains.

I stayed in the lower casida, which was spacious and private. I'm planning my next year's trip there already!

• Liked — Aesthetically so pleasing and clean and a wonderful view, with all the necessary comforts.
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Vancouver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2007

After a week in Puerto Vallarta we traveled north to the Inn of the GataGorda in quiet San Pancho. Our lovely casita was spacious, wonderfully comfortable and furnished with local art throughout. Flanked by coconut palms and surrounding hills, the private salt-water pool was unsurpassed. Our hosts Eileen and Tory were most generous with their time and knowledge of the area and made us feel most welcome. A short walk away were local shops, restaurants and a vast stretch of golden beach with pounding surf. The charm of the place and people of San Pancho has made a lasting impression.

• Liked — the care of furnishings & overall comfort
  • Disliked — a foldout couch might have been nice to accommodate 1 more
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
puerto vallarta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2007

I just came back from 3 nights a the tropical pardise just about one hour north of Puerto Vallarta . The Casita I rented was so clean , and beautifully furnished with Mexican charm, I have traveled and stayed in many smaller type Inns in Mexico and this was one of the best. The owners Tory and Eileen meet me as I came in and I got settled in to the wonderful surrounding, the tasteful decorations in my inn gave me real feel of all the arts and charm Mexico has to offer. From he view from my porch I could see the ocean, complete with Whales jumping, and behind and to the sides was the lush green jungle. The place is full of tropical birds, butterflys and flowering plants. And the pool was more then very inviting after a few block walk to the beach. They offered to help arrange tours and even arranged a 2 hour massage! If your looking for a real realxing peaceful enviroment to experience all Mexico has to offer I highly reccomend it. After checking out many places in the area this was the top! Eileen , on eof the owners can be reached at finefix@gatagorda.com

Stayed February 2007
San Miguel de Allende, Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2007

The casita is fabulous ... very airy, lots of windows, hummingbird garden in window box. And, a view of the ocean. Everything you need for cooking is there ... even tea and coffee. Hosts will supply anything you ask for, like beach chairs, more towels. Even a drive around San Pancho, the jungle, and environs. The pool is beautiful. Everything is sparkly new and clean. Maid service daily. Easy walk to taco stands, restaurants. Town has fascinating history, outlined in well-written booklet in room. We stayed extra days and I'd go back tomorrow.

Stayed January 2007

Been to Inn at San Pancho, Home of the GataGorda? Share your experiences!