“Stunning” 5 of 5 stars

Lighthouse Rd, St. Brides Wentlooge, Newport NP10 8SF, Wales   |
Truro, United Kingdom
“Stunning”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2014

My partner and I enjoyed a wonderful 2-night stay for my 40th birthday. We were blown away by the charm and uniqueness of the lighthouse. Although only 10 minutes from the M4, it was so peaceful and relaxing with only birdsong to listen to.
Frank was a great host and the breakfasts were delicious. It was lovely to sit around the breakfast table with other guests and chat.
We were lucky and had the hot tub to ourselves and the weather was amazing.
We will definately return.

Room Tip: All the rooms are exceptional. We were in the family room and the bed was very comfortable.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Solihull, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014

Like you are doing now I waded my way through endless reviews of the Lighthouse, assessing contrasting comments, (mostly positive!), to decide on somewhere unusual to take my wife as a surprise for our 20th Anniversary. I told her to close her eyes as we turned into the pot-holed road and when we eventually reached the lighthouse she opened them with a gasp. We had a warm welcome from Frank the owner who gave us a tour of the quirky accommodation before showing us to the Family Room which looked inviting. Later, having eaten out that evening we returned and made the most of the available facilities, sipping chilled champagne (which I had secretly taken and put in the communal fridge) in the cosy warm hot-tub on the top deck in the late evening as a strong wind started to blow and cold sea-spray hit our faces - a surreal experience! It was very cold getting out of the hot-tub but we quickly changed in the Tardis and retired to our room where the bed was as comfortable as any I've slept in. After taking a few photos in the morning we had a friendly informal breakfast with Frank and the other three couples. Sadly we learnt that Sparky the lighthouse dog had passed away only days ago which had obviously hit Frank hard but he is already considering a new puppy. So, only a one night stay, and yes, the cost does seem high, but as a surprise treat for your partner is well worth considering as another tick off your 'bucket-list'. We loved it.

Room Tip: Only four rooms there but ours (the Family Room) was great and the other couples seemed happy with t...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Cardiff, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2014

Myself and my 12 year old son stayed here for my birthday weekend last year. The lighthouse is enchanting and all the rooms are furnished individually. There are plenty of books and dvds that you can read and watch in your room. The location is peaceful and solitary and you can take their friendly dog Sparky for some lovely walks around there. We stayed in the hot tub for over a hour with the sun shining down on us. Frank was very welcoming, chatty and hospitable. I would thoroughly recommend the lighthouse for a relaxing, unique stay.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2014

Had a great stay, lovely setting and so many interesting features including historical pictures and info about the lighthouse, enjoyed the water bed room and a late night hot tub while weather was blowing a gale! Watched the film The Fog with my bf of 2 years Karl, the setting was apt and glad we didn't hear any tapping at the window!
Enjoyed meeting the friendly owners who gave us great hospitality and a breakfast of champions! Sparky the resident dog was really cute, loved being cuddled x
Would love to return but because Karl left his manners behind and kept asking me to carry the bags as well as making us nearly miss the bus bk to London because he left me with all the bags to go off and look around CEX! Lovely lighthouse and hospitable owners, shame my bf had to ruin it :-(

Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2014

Just spent a fantastic two nights at the West Usk Lighthouse and wish I had never left. We stayed in the Principal Keeper's room, complete with water bed, and adored it. My companion had always wanted to stay in a lighthouse and it was truly worth the wait. Gorgeous comfy room (water bed was SOOOO lovely), tea, coffee, fresh milk and biscuits all on tap as well as a great selection of DVDs to borrow. The views are amazing from the lamp room and though we didn't try the hot tub, it looked very inviting. Frank's breakfasts are hearty (we didn't eat again for the rest of the day) and he is full of tales of the history of the lighthouse which is absolutely fascinating. My abiding memory will be of lying next to my gorgeous man on my gorgeous water bed with the sun streaming through the window on Sunday morning - all we can see are blue skies and water - all we can hear are the birds chirping - with the smell of a yummy breakfast wafting up the spiral staircase. A wonderful unusual place to stay that will remain in my heart forever.

Room Tip: The Principal Keeper's room with the warer bed is amazing - best sleep ever - and you don't...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014

Where else can you step out of the Tardis straight into a hot tub? Simply the best B&B in the UK. Unique, decadent and a haven away from the real world. The hospitality is simply stunning, the 4 poster is the most comfortable bed in the world and I cannot wait to come back.

Worksop, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014

If you are reading this review and wondering whether you should book a stay at West Usk Lighthouse, make that reservation NOW.

Fantastic place, which is unique, romantic and never to be forgotten.

Frank is a great host, who made us feel very welcome from the moment we arrived and this b&b is one we will head back to next time we holiday in Wales.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to West Usk Lighthouse? Share your experiences!