“Great for families, although service slow” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #16 of 33 Restaurants in Pontyclun
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Description: We are a bar and brasserie in the heart of Pontyclun
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Great for families, although service slow”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

We arrived for lunch on a Saturday, 4 adults and two children and one very wet pushchair. We were greeted with a smile and shown to a table. Very quickly a spotless high chair arrived without being prompted. Drinks arrived quickly. Our order, placed at the bar took about 45 minutes to arrive. The children were supplied with crayons and a picture to colour, to keep them occupied. Children were permitted to 'play' in the building, this was not disruptive at all, which surprised me as I don't like children running around. I think that as the tables were sensibly positioned, it wasn't so noticeable.

The food was fabulous, very reasonably priced, it looked elegant and the children's food was a mini version of the adult food. Two adults had beef burger and chips, presented on a wooden board as was the child's meal. I had a home made pizza which was delicious and the youngest child also had a pizza, again, homemade, which makes a refreshing change to see that the same effort and attention was given to the children's meals.
The staff were all very pleasant and helpful.
The place was immaculate, spacious and light, the decor was muted greens and cream, lovely.

I wouldn't hesitate to visit again. I hope the Bute continues to provide a great service with fabulous food.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

“Pleasant surprise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013 via mobile

I loved this place in the 90's when it was a wild place to go drinking & I love it now. Quality food, excellent staff & a fantastic place to meet & have drinks. Glad Pontyclun has this place open again.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Pontyclun, Wales, United Kingdom
“Excellent!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

It was odd walking in - a pub that had ceased to be, now newly reopened. Although the decor is minimal and perhaps a little stark, my first impression was how clean and very different the new Bute is. The service was a tad slow to begin with but as the place filled up, it actually got much quicker - the staff were diligent and attentive without being overbearing. The food came out at a reasonable pace - we were neither waiting too long nor having courses thrown at us; the atmosphere was friendly and relaxed. The food itself was fantastic and was very reasonably priced; as there were four of us, we tried a variety of dishes from the little plate options to start and then from the grill. My starter of prawns were just fabulous but rather messy to eat so the accompanying finger bowl was very much appreciated. The garlic chicken was succulent and I could taste the fresh tarragon used in the aioli. My daughter and her friend chose different steaks (cooked to different preferences) and both were apparently cooked just right. I was too full to sample the dessert menu and settled for a coffee instead. Would definitely recommend it and can't wait to go again.

• Visited January 2013