“PERFECT FOR A WEDDING!!” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #4 of 21 things to do in Barry
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“PERFECT FOR A WEDDING!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

Went to a wedding there ,best ever been too!! Except my own of course, The wedding service was held in an old library which was beautiful .The food was excellent our friends used the caterers recommended by Fonmon Castle. The service given by all the staff was excellent ,The only problem was location ,being so far out transport could be a problem if you had a drink ,its a long way by Taxis to nearest town

Manchester, United Kingdom
“Wedding venue great, catering awful!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

I attended a wedding reception at Fonmon Castle, the venue was lovely, it was a cold day, we were greeted by mulled wine which was a lovely touch however what was a huge disappointment was the wedding breakfast. After a superb main course of lamb which was melting and flavoursome, the dessert was an extremely disappointing affair! The whole table of 8 was served BURNT tarte tartin, on raising this with waiting staff, all were replaced - four were OK, four were again BURNT. Raising this a second time, the replaced dessert offered was BURNT! The Matre'D then came over, was rude and dismissive telling me that I didn't like it! I actually quite like tarte tartin.

As a venue, fabulous - catering however, I don't know if it's the Castle's own catering or an external service, I would not recommend.

The bride/groom/family no doubt paid a great deal of money for their catering; the gall of the chef to send out food of such a poor standard is insulting not only to the bride and groom, their family and friends but also to the Castle and it's owners and certainly not to the standard received by previous reviewers.

Visited January 2013
AlikiCurrimjee, Owner at Fonmon Castle, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Dear Kobi_13,

I own and manage Fonmon Castle alongside my father Sir Brooke Boothby and we are sorry that you had a less than perfect experience at with us.

We take your feedback very seriously and I have personally raised the issues you shared with our catering partner The Really Fresh Food Company. Really Fresh have a reputation for excellence and providing fantastic catering for our customers and also for our family celebrations here at Fonmon. A lapse in standards is very rare but nonetheless a departure from the first class experience we wish to offer every visitor

Please accept our apologies and rest assured that your issues will be addressed promptly and thoroughly

Kind Regards
Aliki Currimjee
South Wales
“The best place in South Wales for your event”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

We chose Fonmon for our wedding in September 2000, a special birthday celebration in 2008, and have attended other weddings and events there as well. This is just a perfect setting with beautiful rooms, stunning gardens, and superb service. Sir Brooke and his team are so helpful and responsive, allowing you to fully enjoy the wonderful surroundings and to marvel at the precious antiques and original paintings. The food served by Christine and Bepe, together with the service from their staff, rivals any michelin starred restaurant. My only regret is that I can't throw a party or wedding every year!!

Newport, United Kingdom
69 attraction reviews
“Great for a wedding”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

We came here for a wedding - as others have said, the venue is fabulous. The weather was perfect on the day, which made it all the better. Everyone had a great time.

Visited July 2012
Wales
14 attraction reviews
“Little to see or do”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

Basically a house in the beautiful village of Fonmon. lovely grounds but can't really see why it is classed as a castle