“Great decor, but cold room” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Travelodge Cardiff Airport

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Barry
Travelodge Cardiff Airport
Port Road West, Barry CF62 3BA, Wales   |
Ranked #3 of 5 hotels in Barry
“Great decor, but cold room”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

I stay at a number of budget hotels when out and about. With an early morning flight from Cardiff this location was perfect. Arrived after 23:00 but receptionist still available. I was pleasantly surprised with the room, more amenable than other Travelodge hotels I've used. However, the room was cold, the window had been left open and it was a cold November night. There is a heater in the room, but didn't want to leave it on high for a length of time. This is the only gripe.

A great walk in shower. The stay was the same as any other Travelodge and I'd stay there again if it was the most convenient place.

Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

89 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
england
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

This hotel is very basic and a bit worn out as far as travelodges go. Could do with a bit of a revamp really. However it cost £19 for all 4 of us to stay in one room so we could catch our early flight from Cardiff airport. There is a pub restaurant on site which was pretty good and welcomed children. It was quiet but the bed very soft. Overall, extremely good value for money if you can tolerate it not being sparkly clean and new.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
TravelodgeUK, Guest Relations Manager at Travelodge Cardiff Airport, responded to this review, November 9, 2012
Dear seerahjane,

Thank you for the feedback you left about your stay and the condition of the hotel that you have highlighted. We always value customers feedback and this will go to the hotel directly in order to stop these issues from arising again.

We are currently investing £55 million into a major refurbishment programme which will cover 11000 rooms across 175 hotels and your feedback will help us to do this.

This money will be used to upgrade rooms, bathrooms and also reception and bar areas where applicable.

We hope that if you stay with us again we can go some way to repairing the experience that you have had with us.

Once again, I apologise for any inconvenience caused and thank you for your feedback.
Plymouth
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

I always think that good or bad travelodge reviews are based on whether you got a good rate, we paid £19 and arrived at 9pm and were gone by 6am the following morning. We couldn't fault the room or the service, receptionists at night and the following morning were very helpful.

It was very easy to find and there was ample free car parking very close by, we arrived in the most awful weather and were please to be able to park close to the door as we wanted to bring our luggage in.

No complaints, it enabled a stress free start to our hols.

Room Tip: Book a family room as you get a sofa.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Cardiff, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

DO NOT STAY HERE!!!! checked into this hotel last night along with my wife before leaving to catch a flight at cardiff airport this morning ( this was the reason we chose to stay here due to quickness to airport )

well first we arrived at reception to be greeted by a lady who wasnt even in uniform who was in the middle of rolling a cigarette behind the computer, " sorry fella" she said to me before passing her rolled cigarette to man also in normal clothes sat behind the desk on a laptop.

There was also a linen door held open by towels. The room itself was pretty basic but just what you need for an overnight stay, altho i did not have a kettle, remote or cups so had to go to reception and ask ( no one there ) i found the lady i asume who worked there that wasnt in uniform to be standing outside the front doors having a cigarette using disgusting language talking to a group of boys. i told her what i needed and she carried on smoking an just asked me for my room number and she would bring them down.

On check out there was somebody new but again they did not even take notice of me or my wife putting my keys in the slot...NOT EVEN A THANKYOU!! next time i catch a flight i will be staying somewhere else.

Room Tip: "try and get a room with actual stuff in it"
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
TravelodgeUK, Guest Relations Manager at Travelodge Cardiff Airport, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
Dear Dave R,

Thank you for your comment.

We are sorry to learn about your disappointing stay.

The points you’ve raised will be used to support any improvements which may be required at this hotel.

Your feedback is important to us, and we would like to investigate the issues. To assist us with this, please can you visit our main Travelodge website and use the new ‘Contact Us’ form, to provide us with full details of your issues and your booking number.
Aberystwyth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

At a pre-booked rate of £29 per night, this was a perfectly good place for basic and comfortable overnight accommodation. As a convenient airport stopover it is second only to the Holiday Inn. Evening meals, and breakfast are served at the adjacent Cwm Ciddy Inn, but if you require an early breakfast (Before 9 am) the only option is the packs that Travelodge provide on order for consumption in your room. There is ample overnight parking, although the hotel does not appear to offer a 'park and stay' option for those using the airport (as the Holiday Inn does). Like most Travelodges, there is no lift -so it's best to ask for a ground floor room if you wish to avoid hauling suitcases up a staircase just for one or two nights' stay. There is a good bus service from outside the hotel to Barry and the centre of Cardiff.

Room Tip: Ground floor -unless you want to carry luggage up stairs -and get a room overlooking the car park
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Esperance, Western Australia, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

I could have forgiven the one towel (needed to ask for another one), a broken door handle, no toiletries and a toilet flush that needed some time to recuperate between flushes but the bed was very poor with a dip in the middle making for an uncomfortable nights sleep. Although the advance on-line booking price could provide better value for money, for a £60 per night walk in rate this hotel is not good value for money.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Newcastle, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012 via mobile

Twice I have booked to stay here and twice in 3 months they have given my disabled room away. I could just about cope if it was to another disabled guest but it wasn't. The first time it was to a sprightly pensioner who when he realised my predicament - I can not walk at all - willingly swapped and now this time- yes I am here again writing from a cramped twin room with a bathroom I can barely use- because the room I thought I had booked has been given to a family of two adults and two children.

Do I feel like a second class citizen. Yes I do. They wanted to 'out-book' me- like it's some game of pass the parcel. With me as some disposable commodity. This is despite me ringing the hotel to check that the room was available for the 5 nights I wanted it for and then me ringing them back to confirm I had booked on the website. And then- oh yes- I wrote to the hotel. I actually put it in writing.

Travelodge- you should hang your head in shame.

Apparently the family turned up yesterday and got the room meant for me.

How do you think I feel. How would you feel.

We might have the paraplegic games in London - but for what it's worth I feel like I have been dragged back to the days before Sir Ludwig Guttman overturned the prejudice of the 1940s with the stirling work he did at Stoke Mandeville.

I certainly hope someone from Travelodge will come along and explain themselves.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Travelodge Cardiff Airport? Share your experiences!