“Birthday stay at Milebrook House” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Milebrook House Hotel

Milebrook House Hotel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Milebrook
Milebrook House Hotel
Save Saved
You added Milebrook House Hotel to your Saves list
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Milebrook LD7 1LT, Wales   |
Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in Milebrook
Cardiff, Wales, UK
“Birthday stay at Milebrook House”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

We arrived as the heavens opened, and we left when the heavens opened! What happened in between was a lovely excuse to relax in this lovely hotel with good food, good wine, good company and not forgetting noodles the cat! For all its history and interesting nick-nacks, the place is spotless and immaculately kept both in terms of the rooms and the communal areas. I have stayed in better rooms, but for a 3 star establishment the room was more than adequate, if not a little bit chilly on arrival! The bed was comfortable and you could hear a pin drop in the hotel at night, a great nights sleep!

It turned out that we were the only people booked into the hotel during our night’s stay and neither were there any other bookings in the restaurant that evening, we had the whole place to ourselves! All those people who hadn’t booked were certainly missing out… the evening meal was delicious, I hate salted cod panacotta for starters which was stunning, then the sirloin steak for main was cooked to perfection and accompanied with the best peppercorn (and Brandy!) sauce I have ever tasted! Dessert consisted of a remarkably cooked chocolate fondant with some homemade vanilla ice cream. All washed down with a lovely bottle of Riesling, this was certainly in my top 10 of best ever all-round meal experiences! The log fires about the house are very welcome in the winter and it was lovely to have a post-meal drink in front a roaring fire before heading to bed.

Breakfast was also of a very good standard, I had the kippers which proved a welcome change to my usual order of full English! Overall, I would definitely recommend this hotel to friends and family. We also intend on returning in the summer months to explore the lovely walks and gardens that surround the place!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

39 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Gloucestershire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

We have stayed at Milebrook several times over the past few years - we stay as regularly as we can - its a favourite. Always a warm welcome, clean warm rooms with every comfort and of course dinner is the highlight - we've never been disappointed with the menu or the eating! A pre-dinner drink can be enjoyed either in the attractive bar or in the lounge where In the winter there is a warming log fire. The dining-room is especially charming, beautifully decorated - with views onto the garden which slopes down towards the river. The bedrooms are good sized (sparkling water a nice touch) - the 3 rooms we've used have all had views of the large garden. The staff are very professional, friendly and helpful. We really can't fault Milebrook. A peaceful haven and also with lots of places of interest to visit close-by. (We visited once when my husband was unwell and the management and staff couldn't have been more attentive and helpful). I have recommended Milebrook to 2 lots of friends and they too love it.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Solihull
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

This is a lovely hotel; the food is amazing, it is scupulously clean and it is cosily furnished. However, during our one night stay it was decidedly chilly. The radiatiors in the bedroom were on full, but the room never seemed to get warm. The dining room and lounge were also cool.
In hindsight I wish we had spoken to the owner about it, but felt that, as the radiators were all warm, that there was little that could have been done.
Everything else was lovely except for this one point.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Cardiff, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

The hotel provided a hand drawn plan of the gardens. On the plan were written words to the effect that the hotel was quite. Great, I thought, just what I need! It couldn't have been further from the truth. Traffic coming from Knighton started to speed along the straight road outside the hotel gardens. You could hear it coming, you could hear it passing and you could hear it roaring off into the distance. It went on until the small hours. So, if you stay there, don't forget your earplugs. The hotel also has a resident cat, which is not mentioned in the blurb. I know some people like cats, but others don't and others are allergic to cat fur. The cat is allowed in the public rooms, including the dining room! It sits on the easy chairs, which means if you sit down in dark trousers when you get up you can see that you're covered in cat fur! The food was good but it was not an hotel I would return to because of the traffic noise and the cat.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
TheMilebrook, Manager at Milebrook House Hotel, responded to this review, December 8, 2012
I'm sorry you were so upset by the cat, she isn't allowed in the dining room, but if the door is open she can follow you in, she usually gets put out straight away. My sister who is allergic to cats never has a problem with her allergy here. Noodles is part of the family and to most of our guests a welcome one. As for the noise from the traffic, it is beyond our control, there might have been something going on down the valley that night that made the road busy. We listened for traffic last night and heard none. We do have people who stay and comment about how quiet the road is, but if you're accustomed to no road at all, you might prefer one of our rooms on the back of the house. On more cheerful note (as it is Christmas) I’m glad you enjoyed the food.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

I first visited this Milebrook House hotel with friends for dinner. The dinner was excellent and I was impressed so I visited again a few months later for a few days.

This is a Victorian house which used to be the home of Wilfrid Thesiger the famous explorer and SAS soldier. It is a traditional English style country home and is elegant and comfortable. The owner, Beryl, and her daughter and staff make one feel very welcome and there is a very friendly cat, Noodles, who keeps an eye on things without being a nuisance!

The interior decoration is very English and the garden (with peacocks) leads down to a lovely river – great for a bit of quiet resting or some tea.
Room was very comfortable with a nice bath, shower, TV and teapot.
Plenty of space to park your car which you will probably need to get there easily as it is situated along a quiet road.

My room was at the front but there is almost no traffic and the room was completely quiet even during daytime and the night was silent. Lovely views over the hills with lots of sheep, pheasants and hares to look at. Take your binoculars.
No swimming pool but you might like to paddle in the river in the summer.
Very nice traditional English decor everywhere and a comfortable lounge and separate bar to sit and have tea and tickle Noodles the cat.

Dinners were absolutely delicious. Chris Lovell the chef and all the friendly staff provided very high quality local produce beautifully cooked and presented very professionally. Breakfasts were the same - absolutely great. The high quality of all the food prompted us to go to the kitchen to compliment them all.

Plenty of lovely countryside and sightseeing. RAF Cosford museum is about an hour's drive away but definitely worth visiting as it has a fantastic, unique collection of aircraft and many air displays. As British Airways pilot I like aeroplanes and I also like decent hotels.

Milebrook House is absolutely perfect for a very quiet stay in a very elegant but unpretentious, friendly house. If you want a bit of peace and some really good food I highly recommend it. I'll definitely go again!

Room Tip: The main entrance from the road is quite narrow so don't drive too fast when approaching it as y...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Devon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

I originally found this gem in "welsh rarebits", in the Welsh borders and looking on to Offa's Dyke it has a large delightful garden which is well worth a walk through if you have a spare hour whilst staying there. The hotel has a traditional country house feel with antique furniture and comfy chairs.

I have had the pleasure of staying here a number of times over the last 10 years and it has always proved to be a delight. A family run establishment where everyone does their best to make you feel welcome.

A few years ago I was astonished and shocked to see that the AA had given it a 2 star rating, the food and the quality of the rooms are well in excess of any 3 star hotels I have stayed in and many with 4 stars. It is because of this that I can no longer trust the AA rating system.

The food is freshly prepared to order for both dinner and breakfast, the service is outstanding. The rooms are spacious and most have splendid views. The best deals to be had are with a dinner, bed and breakfast option

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Sheffield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2012

We had a very enjoyable stay here. We were walking the Offa's Dyke path and so it was great to be picked up and dropped off from the path to the Hotel and back. Mrs Marsden made us feel very welcome, despite being scruffy walkers! We had a nice meal in the evening and the food was very good.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Milebrook House Hotel? Share your experiences!