“TERRIBLE WELCOME-IGNORED AT THE BAR AS I DID NOT SPEAKING WELSH!” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 23 Restaurants in Machynlleth
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Welshpool, United Kingdom
“TERRIBLE WELCOME-IGNORED AT THE BAR AS I DID NOT SPEAKING WELSH!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

Such a shame and a waste of a beautiful place. The female owner who was serving behind the bar is the most rude and obnoxious person I have ever met. I was left waiting whilst several people were coming and going having all being served, all speaking to her in welsh funnily enough. So I asked for a couple of drinks to be ignored and left waiting again. I will never visit again, even for a drink and looking at other peoples views on this site I'm not alone!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Machynlleth
“Awful Food”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

should have known it was going to be bad as no other people/locals came in for the entire time we were there (obviously they knew something we didnt). As the only people eating our expectations were high sadly we were disappointed although the service was fine the food was diabolical the duck was like rubber i swear it was frozen and microwaved if it wasn`t then sack the chef! the kitchen staff then brought their food into the bar area and proceeded to talk/swear loudly very amateurish set up! wouldn`t waste my money there again id rather try the cross foxes

“Such a disappointment.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012 via mobile

We've stopped here for lunch a few times and it's always been pleasant. Fine sandwiches in a lovely bar at reasonable prices. So I decided, as a treat, to book a table for dinner. I sent an email asking whether I could book. No one replied. I thought it might be better to phone, so I sent another email to ensure we didn't double-book. This time I had a reply saying my table had been booked and oh, by the way, there's a wedding on, but that shouldn't be a problem.

When we arrived it was rammed and loud! We asked at the bar and they showed us to our table. I had envisioned one of the nice cosy looking tables in the main restaurant area, but instead we were shown into a souless, silent, side room to the biggest table I've ever seen for two people. The place settings were as far apart as they could possibly be. My heart sank. Trying to make the best of it we actually moved ourselves around so we were sitting at one corner - at least we could talk without shouting, but the huge empty table made it very uncomfortable.

I ordered off the specials menu: but 5 minutes later I was told the starter I'd ordered wasn't available (maybe take it off the board?!). Our starters were fine - standard pub fare (although the waitress brought us a napkin-wrapped knife and fork with it, despite our places being fully laid?!) For my main I ordered vegetable lasagne and got a huge plate of stodge on a cold plate. Really horrible and bland. My boyfriend ordered the 'chefs special' beef burger and couldn't pick it up because all the grease and water from the soggy boiled onions had soaked through the bun - he said it left a horrible taste in his mouth. The entire time we had to shout over the wedding reception and screaming children running up and down the stairs. We were also sat next to the glass wash point so the staff were piling up dirty glasses next to us. We both left our main courses half eaten, and couldn't face dessert despite us both looking forward to a three-course meal all day.

I asked for the bill. Twenty minutes later I asked again. And then again. Eventually we paid and finally managed to leave - I wish we'd walked out at the beginning (which we were in half a mind to do - as did the family next to us, the only other booking that night).

It has put me off so much that I won't even go back for a drink or a sandwich which we loved to do. Maybe we were unlucky because of the wedding - but if you are going to take bookings you should be able to provide a service. A special night was completely ruined.