“Warm, homely, quirky but not luxurious” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Wynnstay Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Machynlleth
Wynnstay Hotel
You added Wynnstay Hotel to your Saves list
Heol Maengwyn, Machynlleth SY20 8AE, Wales   |
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Machynlleth
wales, uk
“Warm, homely, quirky but not luxurious”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2010

This hotel represents good old fashioned Wales, its got (mostly) lovely staff, and fantastic food, coach house style and a good atmosphere and ambience. Its rooms are cosy, with mix and match furniture and linen - its homely and quaint, and has charm but it is not luxurious, so if that is what you are looking for, it may not be for you to stay... but definitely dine there, the food is good.

The room cost for what you get is a little expensive at £85 per double per night I think
but it is probably the best hotel in the little historical town of Machynlleth though.

Rooms to the front get to hear the hourly chime of the clock tower, so take some ear plugs if this will bother you, rooms at the back don't have this problem.

It has a good pizza place on site too and a well stocked bar. Breakfast is good and hearty.

We were here on business and have been back a number of times this year, mostly because are few choices that are so central to the town.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Wales/Cymru
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2010

Machynlleth is a lovely, character-full town in west Wales, easily reached by a scenic train ride, and convenient for walking, sightseeing and the Centre for Alternative Technology. The Wynnstay Hotel, which started life as a coaching inn in the 18th century, has plenty of character too - the log fire in the reception hall/bar and a friendly welcome on arrival were promising. But there was no offer of help with my case up some awkward stairs and along winding corridors. The single room and its en suite facilities were adequate, but the furnishings were neither tasteful nor, if that was the aim, in period style; the dingy cheap-looking carpet needed a good clean and made me really regret forgetting my slippers. As for the promised "attractive award winning restaurant", it wasn't open when I arrived [though a pizzeria was mentioned] and either it didn't open at all that night or I missed the short window of opportunity - a packet of crisps at the bar was the best they could offer when I returned at what would have been dinner time in most hotels. Breakfast, if it didn't come with a smile, was served quickly and was fairly tasty. Overall, not worth the £55 per night I paid.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
Perchennog, Chef/Proprietor at Wynnstay Hotel, responded to this review, January 6, 2010
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review, and may I say how sorry I am not to be able to address personally your disappointment during your recent stay with us. All my team here at the Wynnstay work very hard to ensure our guests have a pleasant experience, and are unhappy when this is apparently not the case. It is very difficult, however, to act retrospectively save to note,where appropriate, the opinions expressed on this site.
May I begin with the bedroom? It is always a potential minefield when such a subjective matter as taste is raised. In a unique eighteenth-century building such as this, we think it appropriate that the rooms should reflect the quirkiness and individuality of the establishment. and are sorry you do not approve of our efforts. Having been commended recently on a grading visit with particular regard to cleanliness, I am sure you would have been safe whatever your footwear.
Our award-winning food is available every day we are open, between the hours of 6.30 and 9pm, as advertised in the hotel, and pizza from 4.30 to 9.30pm all week except Sundays (Winter hours). I can only express my disappointment you were unable to avail yourself of our excellent food, and trust that should you return we can rectify the omission. Thank you again for your kind comments about our service and surroundings, and we hope to be able to provide a more satisfactory experience should you, as we hope you will, choose to stay or visit in the future. Wishing you a happy and prosperous 2010,
Yours faithfully,
Gareth Johns.
Swansea
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2009

From the minute I entered the (back) door from the car park the service standard could not be faulted. Catherine even offerred me a choice of two rooms and gave me the keys for me to look at both myself. I chose room 37, the bigger of the two. The room was warm, cosy and supplied with toiletries and towels.
Christmas dinner was a 5 course job but was it something else!!! Other meals we had were exceptional. Gareth's sirloin steaks were exceptional.
I was travelling with my dog and I asked for some offcuts of the Xmas turkey for her. The waitress was only too keen to oblige. In fact every member of staff was polite, professional and very pleasant and sociable. We were even up late one night and were talking to the female Duty Manager who was telling us about her family - a lovely personal touch.
The hotel is right on the main street very convenient for a stroll around and is centrally located for travelling around Mid Wales. Disabled access is likely to be a problem but this is an old building after all. Maybe the future will see changes.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled solo
Solva
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2009

Got fogged in on the way home from Scotland and dropped in for a soup. Warm welcome and gorgeous open fire made us change our plan of driving home and ask if there was a room available. Efficient and thoughtful service. Given a beautiful room tastefully furnished and decorated in pleasing colours and fabrics. Freshly laundered towels - plenty of them - clean bathroom with good supply of hot water. We ate near the fire in the bar area; there is also a good restaurant space and a choice of spaces to relax in. The food was delicious; fresh, good range of choices and extrememly well presented - it arrived quickly and the 'waiter' (who turned out to be one of the owners) was charming and although unobtrusive careful to meet our needs. Breakfast tasty, well cooked and piping hot. An all round good experience.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Wembley71
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2009

Having stayed here previously and been impressed enough to book a return trip, I'm now convinced I never need look anywhere else in mid Wales.

I persuaded my extended family to come here, using my 40th birthday as the reason to demand their presence. I'll grant you, one or two grumbled a little about heading so far west. Now, they all think I'm a star for introducing them to this wonderful place!

This hotel just gets better and better. The friendly bar staff actually remembered my family from our last visit, which was over a year previously. In this day and age that's borderline miraculous.

The accommodation is reliably comfortable, the bar has a great central area (our onl disappointment was the weather was too nice to justify lighting the fire!!!), as well as a friendly 'snug' and a quiet ante-room. There's also a separate lounge, which was perfect for our excitable kids to enjoy without disturbing everyone else.

But the crowning glory is the food. Breakfast plentiful and all local, done to perfection and to order. Dinner just superb, beyond words. You'd travel a long way and pay a lot more to find anything close in the British Isles, let alone in Wales.

It was great, too, that there's a 'proper' pizzaria separate to, but within the ground of, the hotel, which served us well for the promised meal for the kids... my six-year-old thinks Pizza Hut is the epitome of gastronomic pleasure, so it was nice to satisfy his demands and actually eat a genuinely tasty homecooked pizza rather than the mass-produced plastic rubbish we've come to know and, er, tolerate.

My boy LOVES the steam railway at Towyn, and my 2-year-old girl thinks the beach at Aberdovey is the best place outside Devon (as I mentioned, the weather for autumn was beautiful!). It's good that the kids have so much fun here, but all the better that the grown-ups can enjoy fine dining and a lovely atmosphere with nothing more than a baby monitor for company. Book us in for autumn 2010, please... if we can get there sooner, we most definitely will!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
Wales
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2009

We came for a Slow Food dinner and having to make a 21/2 hour journey decided to book a room.
the first pleasant surprise was that we were allowed to bring our dogs with us. I understand that is only possible in a standard room.
the room was comfortable and cosy and had everything we needed including Welsh tea and a sign inviting us to contact Reception for fresh milk.
All the staff were friendly and helpful- bringing an extra towel on request and ordering us a newspaper.
The SF dinner was very very good- beautifully presented with homemade breads on a lovely wooden table. Breakfast was excellent the following morning- all local ingredients again well presented. My poached egg and my husband's scrambled eggs were excellent- both well above the standard experienced in a higher grade hotel.
I would recommend this hotel as a safe, quiet, comfortable but not luxurious place to stay in a charming town.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Oxford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2009

Really nice hotel in a lovely part of Wales. The food is as good as it is cracked up to be in the reviews, it is well cooked and presented. Although not knowing the etiquette with the Cheese board resulted in it being whipped away for another table whilst I was pacing myself through the crackers!!!
The room was clean and warm; the bathroom was nice but would benefit from a new shower.
The only criticism (apart from the fast moving cheese board) was the the town is still quite "lively" until gone 2am, not the hotels fault but not conducive to a good nights sleep.
Breakfast was tasty and freshly cooked, free range egg especially good, a sausage rather than a skinny chipolata would have been nice but I guess this was made up for by the thick cut bacon.
May stay again if in the area, would defiantly eat there again if passing.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Wynnstay Hotel? Share your experiences!