“Phenols arms” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 13 Machynlleth B&B and Inns
Christchurch, New Zealand
“Phenols arms”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2014

We booked the four poster bed room and it was great. Nice large bed and room. Mind your head going through the door. At dinner we had the pork shanks and they were huge! There home made chips were pretty fantastic. Nice garden area for drinking out in. Quaint wee village with nice walks. Only slight let down was breakfast, sausages were a bit burnt along with wife's black pudding. Overall a really great stay. Excellent service.

Room Tip: Sorry no pool or fitness centre. How do you un click them?
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Newtown, Powys
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014

My husband and I stopped at the Penrhos arms on our way back from Bala. We had a very warm welcome from the staff. Even though it was late May, it was a cold rainy day so we sat by the roaring fire.
We shared a started of poached eggs on black pudding. It was very tasty and there was plenty for two. I had an old favourite - ham, eggs and chips and my husband had sausage dinner. Both meals arrived quickly and were cooked very well. My large glass of Sauvignon blanc was crisp and well chilled, my husband had a pot of tea as he was driving - which he was pleased with.
All in all a very pleasant pub with good value, meals.
We didn't have children with us but there were families in the bar and the restaurant and all were made very welcome.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Welshpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2014

Stayed on Saturday with family. We had a lovely meal with excellent service and very friendly staff.
It was a special Birthday for my Mum and it was a surprise that we were there, All the staff knew this and kept the secret.
Can't wait to go back again.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Cardiff, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2014

Me and a colleague stayed here in May 2014 as we were working at Machynlleth Comedy Festival. Upon checking in we were greeted to a complaint that it was a pain how we were paying which wasn't the welcome we expected! Apart from that the staff were friendly.

We ate in the restaurant on the Friday night and had breakfast as part of our deal and the food was really good. My main complaint was that the walls were really thin and you could hear everything, so if you were looking for an early night and there is a party/ event on as there was on the Friday then you are going to struggle to get to sleep. The B&B located on Cemmaes a tiny village was probably alittle bit to far away from Mach and if we were to go again we would look for somewhere closer

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Aberystwyth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2014

I have popped in to this pub on many occasions and take great offence as an English person who lives in Wales at the offensive comments by a passer by!
The owner of the Hotel is Welsh, but doesn't speak Welsh, the staff who I think are mainly Welsh, DO NOT SPEAK WELSH to annoy customers. They speak Welsh as it's their mother tongue.
A large table wanting food arrived, their mood did not seem too great, perhaps it was something to do with the weather!! They arrived late afternoon, I remember them as they moaned a lot and threatened the staff with a visit to Trip Advisor!
I cannot speak in relation to their food, however, on all the occasions I have eaten there I have always found the choices extensive and have never had to complain, with either the food or the cost of it!
I have written this review, mainly in response to the idiot who thinks the Welsh speak Welsh to annoy them. Get a life!
The staff have always been friendly, the food great and good value for money.
Please give this place a chance, when passing by next time pop in and judge it for yourself!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014

Just spent 4 nights at the penrhos over Easter and the staff and management couldn't do enough for you. Rooms were lovely and comfortable and cleaned daily. Fantastic home cooked food which was delicious and plentiful (makes a change from the processed food most places serve). Can't recommend it enough. Your loss if you drive by.

• Stayed April 2014
Rugeley, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2014

After a lovely Easter Sunday the family stopped off for some lunch. Initially the locals & staff who had previously spoken English until I joined the bar to be served, suddenly the lingo switched to welsh.
The food was so disappointing. Apparently there was no mash potato left but they had put extra roast potatoes on the plate. chopping 1 potato into 5 tiny pieces counts as extra in their book. In my opinion a traditional Sunday lunch is not made using tasteless frozen vegetables. I asked for lamb but actually got beef. I wouldn't be surprised if this had been boil in the bag.
My daughters lasagne wasn't on the menu as vegetarian however there was no meat content. My husbands chilli was watery with hard rice & over cooked chips. In our party of 8 no one was happy with their meal.
To top it all these meals aren't bargain bucket prices. £9 for a Sunday roast I would expect at least taste & freshness.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family

Been to Penrhos Arms? Share your experiences!