“Lovely location, perhaps a little over-priced, a little tired in spots” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Lake Vyrnwy Hotel & Spa

You added Lake Vyrnwy Hotel & Spa to your Saves list
Lake Vyrnwy Hotel & Spa
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Lake Vyrnwy, Llanwddyn SY10 0LY, Wales   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Llanwddyn
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Lovely location, perhaps a little over-priced, a little tired in spots”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

I've stayed here a few times now, and it is a nice hotel in a really lovely spot. This time, we didn't get a lake view room, but were in the older part of the hotel, which meant we had very good wifi singal! The bed was very big and comfortable, and the bathroom was also pretty large. Dinner (cheaper if you book it at the time you make your reservation) was very good but not excellent, and our wine was nice but too expensive. Breakfast is 8-10, checkout at 10.30, which would be fine, but the breakfast service was quite slow, and housekeeping knocked on our door at 10:20 and 10:25!

Our bathroom was tired, drifting towards shabby (the shower hose was beginning to come apart, paint was chipped on the toilet seat), although everything worked just fine; the gents toilet in the main part of the hotel was similar (the urinal had big chips out of it).

That sounds a bit negative, perhaps. But actually, this is a really nice place to stay, the food is very good, the beds are large and comfortable, and the internet access is free, unlike an increasing number of hotels.

Room Tip: The lake views are great, but you pay more for them. If you care about wifi signal, ask about that...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (430)
Guildford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

we arrived and the staff were very welcoming.we had room 2 at the front with a spectacular view over the lake but no veranda.the bed was kingsize and very comfortable,the décor however is a little tired,the bathroom is more modern but with a lack of a good finish.the tlies under the shower were loose and I caught my toes on one and it fell off.the shower tray filled up with water and didn't drain I thought I was going to flood the room.the towels were big and fluffy and the toiletries were nice.our second night was interrupted at 0230 by loud singing and as we were right above the lounge bar it disturbed us and we had to call down to get it stopped.it had been going on for over 35mins....it was a wedding party..
there are a lot of weddings so it may be an issue sometimes.
I used the spa and the massage and facial I had were very good.the spa itself is small and a definite lack of comfort.i had to ask for cushions for the loungers and they only managed to find one....so not comfortable for a long relaxing stay..there are wooden.great view and a balcony to sit out on but no cushions!!
the lounge bar food is ok, ,the pate was good.
the restaurant food was ok.
my main issue was cheese should not be served straight out of the fridge,,as it was on our first evening,so I asked for the cheese to be taken out when we ordered dinner and it was lovely by the time we had it.
overall a nice weekend stay.

Oxfordshire, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

Like 'TravelBag13' out stay was with a Travelzoo voucher and we also took the option of the extra night for £25,which was real value for money. We declined to stay another night as that was £250! Location is beautiful and the sunset was awesome, hotel well appointed although we did feel that it was in need of a refurbishment in places as it looked tired. We were in the original building on the 2nd floor (no lift, at least not apparent) with a lake view which was definitely worth paying an extra £20 for. The bedroom itself, although comfortable looked tired too although the bathroom was relatively recently done I would think. The staff were all very friendly and helpful from the restaurant staff to the reception staff to the staff in the 'pub' next door.

Room Tip: Room with a lake view is worth paying extra for
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

Stayed here 8th 9th and 10th May and had a great break. The hotel is in a wonderful location on a raised site overlooking the stunning reservoir. the hotel has tons of character with great views of the lake. The room we had (30) was very spacious with a large bathroom. The breakfast and evening meal were of a very high standard and in addition to the main restaurant there was a pub and bistro on site which served very tasty food. The surrounding area is remote and unspoilt area and the single track roads to Bala and towards Machynlleth pass through beautiful upland areas with great views. The staff were very welcoming and attentive. In short we had a great time and would highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: looked round but didnt use the spa
Cheshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

I sometimes wonder if I stay at the same place as the people who have written earlier reviews! Our stay was with a Travelzoo voucher and we took the option of the extras night for £25,which was real value for money.
Location is beautiful, hotel well appointed, we were in the original building, staff friendly and helpful, room perhaps a little dated but clean and fit for purpose and the lake side view was stunning so you could forgive the small wardrobe and loo seat in need of replacement.
As for the food, the 5 course fine dining menu on our first evening was outstanding. Portion sizes were just right enabling you to eat all courses, quality was superb, service spot on, wine menu good, oh, I could go on ...... it was excellent! The full English breakfast was cooked beautifully and a really good start to the day.We ate lunch at the Tower Tavern and dinner on the second evening and although the food was good, we found the atmosphere a little soul-less, but again staff were cheerful and helpful.
Champagne and truffles, included in the deal, was an added bonus taken late afternoon overlooking the lake.
Staff were attentive and helpful and we owe a big thank you to Gamekeeper John and his wife for literally getting us out of a hole!

Room Tip: The lake view rooms are really worth the supplement!
Frodsham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

I have been a long time plucking up the resolve to write this but I feel I need to get it off my chest.

Great hotel setting but the wedding I attending was for a family member.

When the wedding venue was announced I though great lets have ride out on the bikes and book our rooms for the night in question, upon arrival frosty reception and not welcoming, my wife and I stood for a couple of minute before trying to get someone to acknowledge us, not a good start, we get our room requests in and booked 4 rooms for other family members, we asked what the checking in times are as the wedding was at 3, they informed us it was check in at 3. We informed them this was the time of the wedding so was not acceptable as we had elderly members in our party; they said we can put a request in for your rooms to be cleaned first so we took up the offer of this service for all 4 rooms.
The day of the wedding arrives and lots of people have booked rooms, at around 12.30 people are being called as their rooms are now free, the party members I have reserved the rooms for are all sitting together so we are getting a little concerned as 2.00 is now upon us and everyone who arrived has been allocated there room apart from the 4 rooms I requested. My wife goes through to see what the problem is and to find out why we are still waiting , the rudeness of the staff was very off putting to the point my wife said right cancel our rooms we will drive home, fine the lady says I will , my wife then points out we have paid in full and want the refund now, the lady goes white and says leave it with me, 5 minute pass and all of a sudden 3 rooms come free the only 2 people left is my wife and I, 2.30 now we again go to the reception where the manager is standing , we point out the poor service considering we had paid in full months earlier and requested the room early , his reply was “ you don’t go to a church and expect to change there do you” . We informed him he was offering a service that he can’t live up to, he offered for us to get changed in the Gym changing rooms, then out the blue at 2.45 our room is ready.
This hotel is a lovely setting for a wedding but is spoilt by rude management and unhelpful reception staff , please note this was in 2010 so hoping things have changed , for the record we use to visit the place one a months for tea overlooking the lake but after that we have not been back.

Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Bolton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

My last review was of a 4* Hotel in Portugal which was very poor. What a pleasant change to return home and have such a delightful break in the UK. The only thing Portugal had going for it was the weather and the only thing wrong with the Welsh break was .....the weather!
The breakfast was superb and cooked freshly before being brought to the table. No rubber eggs standing around! The restaurant in the evening was a delight. Food was excellent and the service was very good. The views from the dining room are to die for! Everything about this hotel was 1st class.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the room are extra but the rooms on the other side of the hotel have fine countrys...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Lake Vyrnwy Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!