“Fabulous mid week break” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Lake Country House & Spa

You added The Lake Country House & Spa to your Saves list
The Lake Country House & Spa
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Llangammarch Wells, | Powys, Llangammarch Wells LD4 4BS, Wales   |
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
“Fabulous mid week break”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights Wed/Thu/Fri, 4th-6th Sept 2013. We were greeted at reception by the owner who could not have made us feel more welcome and upgraded us to a really fabulous suite, having only booked a standard double. The hotel itself is spotlessly clean, sumptuous and very comfortable. The food in the restaurant was first class and the breakfast bar had a fruit salad as well as the usual cereals and cooked options. All the staff were very helpful, friendly and attentive. The spa facilities are really impressive; lovely swimming pool in the spa building with a hot tub on a balcony overlooking the lake. We were lucky to have Red Kites soaring overhead while enjoying the bubbles. The grounds are fabulous and worth exploring, and the view on the drive to Upper Chapel is really spectacular and only 5 minutes away. We have stayed in many hotels and we can't rate the experience of this hotel highly enough. Thank you for a fabulous stay.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
North Wales
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

This was just a "flying visit" to visit our grandson who works locally and we only stopped two nights. We did not have the time to sample any of the facilities available - a 9-hole golf course, putting, croquet, fishing, swimming pool, spa, hot tub, tennis, snooker & billiards. You could spend a whole holiday there without leaving the 50 acre grounds. Professional fishing tuition and horse-riding can be arranged by the hotel. The hotel is beautifully furnished throughout and the service exemplary.

We needed a ground floor room because my wife cannot manage many steps. The main hotel building has two rooms suitable for people with reduced mobility, accessed from a side-entrance next to the road. There is also a block of 12 bedrooms in a separate building called "The Lodge" where there are 6 ground floor suites. We had one of these, which was more expensive but it had a separate sitting area and the bedroom had a huge bed. The bathroom had a bath and a separate shower. Level access into the hotel from this block was just a short walk across the car park and in via a door in the conservatory, used at mealtimes when it is easy to attract someone's attention to open this fire door. At other times, when the conservatory is likely to be empty, a telephone call to Reception from your room would bring someone to open the side door by the time you went across.

The food was excellent with the emphasis on presentation and quality rather than quantity so don't expect a plateful of chips !! The restaurant has been awarded two "Rosettes" and many items on the menu are changed daily. Canapés are served in the lounge whilst browsing the menu before being escorted through to the dining room. A small bowl of soup with their own bread is served as an "Amuse Bouche" to tickle the palate followed by your choice of starter, main course and desert. There is a well-stocked wine cellar.

The is no bar, per se, but staff will serve drinks to any part of the public areas.

As you would expect, this level of luxury and service does not come cheap but is well worth the outlay - even if just for a special occasion. When we were there it was very well patronised.

Room Tip: This is a quiet location with only a minor road running past one side of the main building. I'm...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Mrhoward66, Guest Relations at The Lake Country House & Spa, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share such a detailed review. We’re delighted to be described as ‘outstanding’ and agree with the fact that you could enjoy a whole holiday within our grounds. We hope to welcome you back next time you are in the area.
Llandrindod Wells, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

As lovely and relaxing as ever! Did miss the biscuits in our suite though - please start doing that again. Spa was spotlessly clean and loved the new changing rooms. We had the suite that we had had for our wedding but it had been tastefully refurbished.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Worcester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

We have just returned from our third visit and once again enjoyed the food, ambiance, friendly staff and beautiful surroundings. The location is stunning. Each room we have stayed in is decorated individually and beautifully. We love it so much we have planned to get married there next year !!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Melton Mowbray, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

What can I say about this place. It was just what my husband and I were looking for as a short break for just the 2 of us. We got a fantastic deal for bed, breakfast and 4 course evening and were not disappointed. The staff were friendly and nothing seem too much trouble for them. The food was amazing. Most of the peace and tranquility of the place was breathtaking. I would love to go back for a 2nd visit. Forgot to mention the glorious spa facilities which we pretty much had all to ourselves.

Room Tip: Go for a suite. We had number 5
Cardiff, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

We spent a fabulous two days in the lovely hotel in one of the most beautiful area of rural Wales.From the minute we arrived and were welcomed by the staff and resident dogs to when we left the staff were helpful and very friendly. Our suite was small but very comfortable, food superb. Felt very homely in the spacious lounges especially in the reception lounge with the log fire burning to cheer a rather grey August evening.
We enjoyed walking in the grounds and the use of the spa and pool
It was good to see the owner in evidence and talking to guests. special mention also for Laura.
We were there on a secret escapes deal which was excellent value.
I arrived feeling rather stressed, as promised I left feeling refreshed and very relaxed.
We will go again

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Mrhoward66, Guest Relations at The Lake Country House & Spa, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay, we’re glad to hear your break left you feeling refreshed and relaxed. We’ll look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

It doesn't matter ....

It doesn't matter if you have a young family with children, with or without a dog, or perhaps a caring husband treating his lovely wife or even a cheating husband looking a weekend hideaway with his lover vice versa (just kidding!) .....

JUST GO!
JUST ..... GO!

I can't praise the hotel enough how relaxing it was to stay at the Lake Country House and Spa. We stayed in Lodge 4 which was a stone throw away from the main building. The room is big, comfortable with nice view into the lake. Contrary to one reviewer, the room seemed to have been redecorated recently (no more than 1 year ago). It has a old fashioned CRT Tv which is a rare find nowadays which rightly remained switched off the whole time. Why would you turn it on when you have such a pretty scenes through the windows?

Wife pre-booked a spa treatment but she confessed the massage wasn't the best she has had, nevertheless the staffs tried her best and was very engaging so she scored points elsewhere.

the new spa building also housed a decent sized swimming pool, sauna, small gym with enough "apparatus" and a hot tub on the balcony upstairs looking into the lake (my favourite). We literally had the whole building to ourselves the whole time, my 6 yo daughter had a blast horning in on her swimming skills at the expense of 2 other guests at one time. Had to cut short her swimming just so tht these 2 poor souls could deservedly enjoy their time..... on the short walk back to the lodge, my daughter did not stop her complaining and show her discontent which I tried to turn a deaf ear to. In hind sight, it's less painful to let her stays in the pool and risk the possibility of death threats from other swimmers.

There is also a Par 3 golf course, many holes looks longer than stated as you are hitting up the slopes. Would bring my own clubs for a quick knock around before missus wakes up next time.

Most guests dine at the formal dining hall. You are not allowed to dine there if you are below 10 years old unless you are a well behaved 6 yo child like my daughter..... Having said that, a table was set up in the separate 'oak room' well away from the dining hall the following night !!!! I swear we didnt make that much noise, or may be it was my shoes. (I brought only my walking shoes and my croc clogs). Btw, the pork belly starter was .... mmm.... yummy! and black welsh beef steak was one of the best I have and I have had many in my short life. The freshly made souffle ...ah.. I can only describe it was an out of body experience. It was so good, I ordered the same meal twice.

Bumped into a humble looking gentleman in a woolly jumper one early morning and he turned out to be the owner. Very hands-on kinda chap I can see. I think he's called Pierre, well...I hope you have a great time with your grand daughter (living in USA) who was coming to visit the following day.

My best part of the stay is laying on the grass by the calm lake staring at the clouds, with the sound of water flowing from river irfon behind me and hearing the laughters of my daughter playing with my wife in the distant. Priceless ......

it doesn't matter

like I say,

Just GO!

J

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Been to The Lake Country House & Spa? Share your experiences!