“Misleading and over priced ” 1 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Gastropub
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Misleading and over priced ”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2014 NEW

Standard average pub. It's nice that they use a lot of local ingredients which is mirrored in the drinks menu.

However, the prices really are high for standard pub grub, and the soft drinks prices even moreso; and it missed out a bit here and there.

An example is the fish and chips that I ordered, it said with "proper" tartare sauce...what that meant was actually pre-made mayo with cut up bits of capers, dill and gerkins in it (it was not very nice so I left it), thats not what Id call proper tartare sauce, when I make it at home I start by making my own mayo not getting it out of a jar! The "proper" mayo was some shop bought horrible white stuff which was inedible. It doesn't matter how many fresh ingredients you add to it, it is still based on rubbish from a jar!

Don't bother, there are much better, and much better value eateries in the area serving proper food.

nagsheadgarthmyl, Owner at The Nags Head Inn, responded to this review, 5 days ago
Thank you for your 3rd review. We have listened and replied to your comments. Our tartare sauce is not made with dill because tartare sauce is not made with it! We did stress that In the UK it is illegal to make mayonnaise with raw egg yolk unless using a pre-packed pasteurised carton which we don't. The souffles and meringues you mentioned in the many Michelin starred restaurants you have visited are made with egg white and is a cooked product therefore has no legal requirement in its cooking status. We replied to you that we were disappointed that you gave us 2 out 5 for value for money because our mayonnaise was not homemade. Trip Advisor removed both of your reviews because you violated the guidelines for the review site. If you have any more issues that you wish to discuss publicly or over the internet, please contact me and i can try and help.

Caersws, United Kingdom
“Superb Christmas Meal with first class service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2014

We went out last night for a Christmas Party Meal with our neighbours. We've been to afew local places but, this is far the best. I would totally recommend The Nags Head for a fantastic meal. I chose not to have a starter as I didn't want to over do things but, I wish I had when I saw what they produced and the quantity. I chose the traditional Turkey meal which was very tasty with a good supply of beautifully cooked veggies. My husband had the Sea Bass. He agreed with me other than he'd wished there had been a slightly larger portion. The girls that served us were superb and very helpful. Even when I asked if I could change my mind on my choice of dessert. I know this really annoys chef's but the waitress said it would be no problem. Having waited on tables in the past I used to almost dread people in large parties changing their mind at the last minute. We will deffo be returning and bringing back our friends.

• Visited December 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“A long wait !”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2014

On Sunday 14th Dec we had Sunday lunch at the nags head and enjoyed the food enormously.Everything was full of flavour and I would recommend it to anyone as long as they have plenty of time !The waitress was very friendly and helpful.We booked in for 1pm but it was almost 2pm before we were taken to our table and had to wait ages for the sweets to arrive.I feel it would be sad if the business was to fail because of the slow service.

• Visited December 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Lincoln UK
“Old pub with a modern interior”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2014

We ate a meal here on a Sunday lunchtime in November. The pub is located on the busy main-road between Welshpool and Newtown, but inside, was quiet and peaceful. The pub has been extensively refurbished and tastefully decorated. The bar area has armchairs and sofas as well as more traditional chairs and tables. At the back there is a good sized dining area which opens onto a courtyard. The menu is not extensive, but there is a reasonable range of starters and main courses and the drinks menu is interesting. Clearly, using local produce, including wine, is a feature of the pub which is to be applauded. We didn't try the starters and started with a roast beef dish, with all the trimmings, fish and chips and 'bangers and mash'. All were well presented and very tasty. The desert menu was short, but enticing! We all ate deserts and thoroughly enjoyed them.

The staff were all very pleasant and cheerful, but we were slighlty disappointed by the slow service. Several times after we had finished our main course, staff passed by, but didn't bother to clear the table. When they did clear the table, we then waited for some time for the sweet menu to arrive. Whilst I appreciate that people don't like to be hurried whilst eating, things could have been somewhat faster.

That said, I would return again as the food was very good.

• Visited November 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
London
“Very disappointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2014

I am just returned from having lunch with two friends at the Nag's Head. We would all agree that the food that we had was good but the experience was awful. Upon arrival we were asked to wait for a few minutes in the bar. We had to remind staff twice that we were waiting and the few minutes became 45 minutes. It was over an hour before we were served. The consequence of this was that we had to eat in a rush because we had a train to catch in Welshpool and so a leisurely lunch became a rushed dash to get the food down with no opportunity to even look at the sweet menu. We did receive an apology with the reason given that they were busy. In our terms this was not a busy service with several empty tables and several other frustrated customers. Also there was no soap in the gents and our order had not been recorded by the computer system. All very poor and a very disappointing experience, we think they will need to do better if you are going to thrive in a competitive market.

• Visited November 2014