“Another great stay at Browns” 4 of 5 stars

Browns Hotel
King Street, Laugharne, Wales   |
Ranked #5 of 19 Laugharne B&B and Inns
UK
“Another great stay at Browns”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013 via mobile

Second visit to Browns in 2013 and the place failed to disappoint again.
Beautifully decorated pub with great character and atmosphere.
Fantastic rooms, extremely stylish and so clean.
I had a classic double (LLareggub) which although not huge was perfect with exposed beams, brick really giving the place a rustic yet stylish feel.
Great bathroom with roll top bath.
Great breakfast served next door in the The New Three Mariners next door and offers a fantastic choice all cooked fresh to order.
Overall, a fantastic hotel... Probably the best I've stayed in whilst in south west Wales.

Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Jon T, Manager at Browns Hotel, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
Thanks Mark S. We love reviews like this!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

I had originally booked a room at their sister hotel The Three Mariners across the road but somehow I stupidly managed to cancel it online whilst on route doh!!!!

I contacted Browns and explained and the young girl on the phone was very helpful and rebooked us into Browns. Well we were so surprised at this gorgeous little hotel. We were taken to a room called St Ishmael and we were blown away. The decor was stunning with a full wall mural. The bathroom had a huge roll top bath. (Only gripe was the shower head could not be directed down)

Staff were both friendly and helpful making our one night stay a real pleasure. The breakfast in the Three Mariners was superb. Overall a wonderful little gem of a hotel. We would recommend this hotel to anyone looking to stay in Laugharne.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Jon T, Manager at Browns Hotel, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Hi Colspr44, thanks for your lovely review! Hope to see you again soon. Cheers, JT
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013 via mobile

The hotel's website says: "We take great care to create an incomparable visitor experience". So I was really looking forward to my night there as a treat to myself after a period of illness.
I managed to park my car in the hotel car park and made my way to reception. The welcome was friendly although the member of staff checking me in wasn't quite sure of some details like when breakfast was served and where my room was. It was only his third day in the post so I suppose he needed time to familiarise himself with things. No matter, a colleague helped out with the necessary information and my bag was carried to the room.
I stayed in one of the single cosy rooms called Teifi. The room itself looked very impressive wth a fresh modern feel that also had a sense of place due to the Dylanesque wall art and Welsh wool fabrics. The bathroom was a decent size and there was plenty of room in the shower. Everything seemed clean.
However, the facilities were something of a mixed bag, not always living up to what the hotel website offers.
On the plus side, the bed was large for a single and extremely comfortable. I liked the fact that it was made of organic Welsh wool. The Welsh woollen duvet (Baavet!) and bed linen were just right. The large LCD HD TV was good (once a member of staff had turned it on at the wall for me!). I appreciated the free Wi-Fi which worked well in the hotel and even in the beer garden.
On the minus side, there was a digital radio with ipod docking station in the room but no lead, so it was impossible to use. There was a very stylish kettle, tea, ground coffee (in an open bowl - surely a sealed container would have been better?) sugar and bottle of Welsh mineral water, but no milk, cafetiere, or biscuits. The milk and cafetiere were provided on asking at the bar, and I was offered a cup of coffee by way of apology, but no biscuits were provided. This may seem petty, but previous Tripadvisor guests had praised the homemade shortbread biscuits, one a few days earlier (28 Aug), so I don't know why I didn't get any. I bought my own from the Spar down the road in the end! There was no hairdryer in the room. A previousTripadvisor guest staying in this room in July had complained about this. There was no "range of Welsh complimentary amenities" as advertised, but instead a mini bottle of shampoo/shower gel and one of conditioner made in Italy and a a mini bar of Lux soap. Since I was only there one night, it was not a problem for me that there was no wardrobe or hooks for clothes, but this could be for other guests if they needed to hang up smart clothes. I was a bit surprised that there was no basic information about the hotel in written form in the room. It's handy to have something to remind you when breakfast is served or when checkout is. However, the worst thing about the room was the constant sound of the plumbing system which was audible day and night. Luckily I had brought ear plugs with me!
Having read other Tripadvisor reviews, I knew that breakfast would be served in the adjacent New Three Mariners, but I was surprised that this wasn't mentioned on the hotel's own website, especially as there is a section on the sister establishment. However, this wasn't a problem for me and although the choice was limited to full Welsh or vegetarian, I was pleased to see it used local produce, was well-cooked, and the service cheerful and efficient.
I raised some of my concerns as they arose and some on checking out and each time was treated courteously and offered some recompense for the inconvenience caused. The staff seem genuinely eager to please. I cannot say that I had an incomparable visitor experience, but I'm sure that Browns Hotel could consistently offer such an experience to all its guests with some care and attention to detail.

Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Jon T, Manager at Browns Hotel, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Thanks for the review. Indeed it was my third day and you were my first check-in. I now know where all the rooms are! We have had a management changeover and I can assure you that the biscuits as well as several other things you mentioned are being addressed. The website has been amended, missing room info booklets are being replaced and Welsh toiletries are on order. Let us know if you're coming this way again and we'll give you a free upgrade. Cheers, Jon
Ystrad Mynach
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

Browns hotel in Laugharne is A marvellous venue. We stayed in a Suite room priced at £120 including our little dog it was absolutely fantastic. If this hotel was in the Cotswolds it would cost twice the price. The staff were very friendly and helpful and breakfast in their sister hotel next door was great.

Room Tip: Pay the extra for a suite they are the bees knees.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Jon T, General Manager at Browns Hotel, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
We love reviews like this. Thanks both and hurry back!
Pembs, Wales
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013 via mobile

Stayed at Browns for two nights as a birthday treat from the other half. Absolutely gorgeous hotel, loved the bedroom and the bathroom; So much so I didn't want to leave! Everything is comfortable yet stylish. Nice breakfast with good choice and the staff we met were friendly. Would not hesitate to return or reccomend to others :)

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Jon T, Manager at Browns Hotel, responded to this review, August 31, 2013
Thanks PembsGirl24! Hope to see you again soon.
Goodrich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

A last minute Anniversary getaway has left us relaxed, pampered and full of plans for our next visit to Laugharne and the delights of Browns Hotel! I will not go into the detail of what makes this place special - I would not want to spoil the surprise for the next lucky visitors. Suffice to say, that this place is memorable. It is very difficult to get it right when it comes to preserving the essence of a place when much needed changes are made - but Browns have really got it right. A perfect mix of old and new - they understand that places change but people don't and you will feel that there are just as many quirks and characters as there were in Dylan and Caitlin Thomas's time.. I can't wait to come back and be happy to fall asleep to a rendition of 'Delilah' coming from the Three Mariners because I will wake up to the sound of Curlews and soft church bells... Thank you to all the team at both the hotel and the pub - you made our stay a special one.

Jon T, Manager at Browns Hotel, responded to this review, August 31, 2013
'I can't wait to come back and be happy to fall asleep to a rendition of 'Delilah' coming from the Three Mariners because I will wake up to the sound of Curlews and soft church bells...' That is Browns in a sentence! Thank you Nigel.
Nottingham
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

We stayed for a night over the recent bank holiday and were very impressed to say the least and it has be said now, we'll be going back! The room we stayed in (Fern Hill) was on the 1st floor overlooked the car park and was quiet but the redoubtable Fiona and I are hardy souls and can usually sleep through any noise! The room was spacious and very well furnished with plenty of storage and hanging space, there were dressing gowns and plenty of fluffy towels, toiletries etc. Excellent tea, fresh coffee and shortbread biscuits. There the usual accoutrements e.g. hairdryers, plenty of plug points, large TV, air con, heating etc and free and speedy wi-fi throughout the hotel. The bathroom has a huge roll top bath and a hand shower and this is the only minor thing - the fitting to hold the shower could have done with being higher up the wall - but hey, ho it was fine! the bar and reading room at the front have been tastefully refurbished, but retained the atmosphere overall, so one can still sit in the window seat where Dylan Thomas would have sat and watched the world go by. The staff were all very pleasant and couldn't have been more helpful.

Now here's the thing - a few tips (having read previous reviews)!! if you need descriptions of the rooms, ring the hotel (the receptionist I spoke to was happy enough to help with the choice) or check the website for descriptions- there are even floor plans! If there's no one at reception, poke your head round the bar and ask the bar staff, they'll get someone, if you aren't impressed with the food/menu at Browns there are enough eateries in Laugharne (though customers at lunch in the small beer garden at the rear seemed to be enjoying their lunch) and finally the website says clearly that breakfast is in the the sister hotel, the New Three Mariners which is all of 30 yards or so to the left as you step out of Brown's front door - so there you have it, all quite simple really! there is enough parking at the rear and the staff were fine about us leaving the car there while we pottered around on the last day. The walk to the Boat house starts a few yards behind the hotel and passes the local bakery for your Bara Brith and Welsh cakes. The staff at breakfast were sweet, even though we made it by the skin of our teeth time wise. Breakfast, whilst not being 'gourmet' was perfectly adequate with enough choices and large cafetiere of coffee (yes!), of course, Fiona being more refined prefers her tea.

All in all, a great stay in a tastefully refurbished icon - believe me - as having visited on a few occasions before...!?! there is Thomas memorabilia on the walls of the bar and in the reading room, with a few volumes of poetry, prose and biography to enjoy with a glass of excellent Welsh malt whisky. We'd thoroughly recommend a stay here and have already planned a weekend return next year.

Room Tip: If you are a delicate soul and worried there may be noise ask for a room at the back of the hotel
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Jon T, General Manager at Browns Hotel, responded to this review, August 31, 2013
This is our best ever review (so far!). We wish to reassure people that we did not write this! Charles and Fiona, you are welcome back anytime and there'll be a nice glass of Penderyn waiting for you when you arrive. Thanks again.

Been to Browns Hotel? Share your experiences!