“A Great Few Days” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 19 Laugharne B&B and Inns
Cardiff
“A Great Few Days”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

Just got back from a 3 day break, we had a great time. The suite we stayed in was gorgeous and huge. As it was a friends special birthday the Manager Andrew helped us by arranging a wonderful champers breakfast with bacon sarnies and fresh strawberries which were delicious. We ate the pizzas in the bar which were just as delicious too. Great wine selection. I also asked for room service, again for a surprise, the team were extremely helpful to accomodate. The hotel is true value for money. We will be back. Thanks Andrew and the team for making our stay so enjoyable!

Room Tip: All of the rooms seem lovely. Suites are great value.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Jon T, Public Relations Manager at Browns Hotel, responded to this review, August 11, 2013
We really appreciate reviews like this. Thank you!

136 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
england
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

My wife and I attended a weeding close by and stopped at Browns on a Friday and Saturday night.
The room was very spacious and clean, the staff very friendly and the sister pub next door was a great place to spend a Saturday night.
Highly recommend this hotel when in this beautiful part of the country.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Jon T, Public Relations Manager at Browns Hotel, responded to this review, August 9, 2013
We appreciate reviews like this. Thank you!
UK
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

Before I describe our stay at Browns I must say that it is gratifying to find an establishment that makes dogs welcome in such a picturesque part of the world.

I am sure that previous reviews are sincere in their praise of Browns. However we were really disappointed with our stay at the hotel and our comments relate to our experience only.
We have always rated hotels/B and Bs by the fare and the comfort. At Browns we found that our stay was deficient in both. The food could only be termed as snacks. The menu was restricted to pizzas and pasta dishes - a large part of which were not available. We settled for lasagne which could only be described as ersatz – it had a very sweet taste which could not have been as a result of fresh tomatoes – and could not be finished. The best part of the meal was a bottle of Chilean merlot but that was the only enjoyable part of the meal.

Others have commented on the noise – from our room (Lacques) the din from the bar was excessive and this didn’t stop until midnight. That was the din from the bar. Unfortunately people congregated in the street and carried on with loud conversations. There also seemed to be a fracas coming from the room below our room which tailed off with the slamming of a door preceded by a command of anglo saxon. Sleep was not forthcoming before 3 o’ clock. My thoughts rest with the neighbours.

My advice would be that a stay at Browns would not be restful unless it was midweek and one was not expecting a culinary experience.

When we went to breakfast we were at first told that we could not bring our dogs into the dining room due to health and hygiene regulations. This was confusing as they were with us for our dining experience the previous evening. When this was pointed out to the ‘supervisor’ the rationale for not admitting them was changed to the fact that some people having breakfast would object to dogs in the same room. Then the fun began – we were told that we could have breakfast in the bar but that we couldn’t be admitted as we had no reservation. I pointed out that we had booked bed and breakfast for two nights. A member of staff went into the main part of the hotel and came back with confirmation that we were guests (albeit not for much longer) and breakfast was served to us in the bar. Just as we were about to partake of our choice another member of staff came in to tell us that we could go into the dining room with dogs as there was room available. We declined. Come on Browns get your story accurate.

Following this we decided to cut our losses and check out rather than endure another evening.

It is noted that Browns Hotel is very forthcoming with eulogies from various quarters. It can only be presumed that such experiences were well at selected times.

By all means visit this part of Wales – it is beautiful – but don’t expect a dining experience at Browns nor rest if it’s the weekend and you’ve booked the Lacques room. As a postscript a degree of soundproofing would be in order.

Room Tip: Avoid the Lacques at weekends or turn your hearing aid off.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
We pride ourselves on the service we provide and are always sorry when guests don't have a great time at Browns but thankfully, as this reviewer acknowledges, most do. This reviewer has since accepted that the one star review '...may be harsh', which we're grateful for.

Laugharne can be very busy at the weekends, especially during the summer... it's always been a 'lively' place as Dylan Thomas himself appreciated! However we do have rooms at the rear of the hotel so if you want a quiet night please request in advance.

Regarding food, Browns is technically a guesthouse (alebit a luxurious one as can be seen here: www.browns-hotel.co.uk), but we do provide tasty bar foods - pasta dishes, fishcakes, cawl etc. There are fresh pizzas available at the Mariners and three other local restaurants to choose from.

Finally... yes, we do welcome your furry friends. However, others may not appreciate your beloved pooch as much as you do, so if it is busy we simply ask that common sense prevails.

Cheers!
wales
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

My husband and I stayed for short break, on arrival late afternoon the bar was busy, there was live music, and a really good atmosphere, we checked in and the receptionist showed us to our room the st Ishmael the colour and decor are striking, the ceiling is v high with velux windows, which is good as the room does't have any windows, Apart from a very small window with no out look, the bathroom was big, the roll top bath was fab, but again no window at all. There wasn't any wardrobe in the bedroom, only a clothes rail. The room was fine for a weekend break, the bed is very comfortable but wouldn't want to stay for any longer due to the lack of natural light. Enjoyed our break the staff were friendly, the bar cosy and welcoming, breakfast served at three mariners which really isn't a problem as its only a two min walk, breakfast menu looked inviting, opted for veggie breakfast, wasn't as tasty as it sounded, but think we've been spoilt in the past by staying at The Boat House where the breakfast is to die for!! We had booked Browns as it was fully booked. Enjoyed our stay as we always do in laugharne such a lovely place and the local people are so friendly.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

We stayed the Browns Hotel recently and have to say the location and service within Browns Hotel was fabulous. We booked the hotel as we were attending a wedding 2 miles away. When we arrived in Laugharne, parking was easy to find and free, we checked into the hotel and met Andrew who was extremely lovely and really helpful. Andrew made arrangements for us to get a taxi to our venue at short notice and helped my partner and I in locating a cash point nearby. The room itself was very well presented, everything was spotless and the bathroom was wonderful! The only negative about our stay was the breakfast at the Three Mariners hotel just a short stroll away. On arrival the next day we ordered some tea and the staff seemed rushed off their feet. We ordered our breakfast and had to request toast as it was unclear if this came with the breakfast. We only had 2 slices of toast between us and the staff were very busy. We were not told where we could get get juice or cereal and only shortly after my partner wandering around found the juice. We finished our breakfast and left without any staff asking if breakfast was ok. Checkout at Browns hotel was very simple and care was taken to ask if we had enjoyed our stay and if we needed any help with our items. I would stay at Browns hotel again, it is very near to the estuary, Laugharne castle and Dylan Thomas Boat House but would suggest the hotel provides the breakfast or other service is provided.

• Stayed July 2013
Jon T, Public Relations Manager at Browns Hotel, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Thank you for your lovely comments. It was particularly busy that morning, and the issues you raised have been addressed. We look forward to seeing you again!

Best wishes,

Jon T
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here on business, it looked great online and far exceeded expectations.
I will be back on a personal visit with my husband for a long weekend. Rooms are quirky but modern, location is perfect to explore the coast.

• Stayed July 2013
port talbot
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

I arrived at Brown's from Saundersfoot having had an amazing stay at St Brides Hotel and Spa (see review). I had walked the coastal path all day and was tired thirsty and desperately in need of a shower and food. I drove into the car park and there was no room to park other than me blocking in another vehicle. I carried my bags to reception and there was no one there - I accept I missed the notice saying to report to the bar. A very harassed young lady then came and apologised took details of my reservation and showed me to my room.When I pointed out that I couldn't park she assurred me that I was blocking her in and we would arrange to change places. However this was an 'in the future event' I just wanted to settle in for the night so I moved my absolute pride and joy Jaguar XF to a space on the main road outside the hotel. Initially I was very impressed - very boutique loads of cushions on bed air conditioning very efficient (although I now know this wasn't the case a week or so ago from speaking to people in the village) The bathroom was very clean with an impressive shower which I looked forward to using. I dropped my bags went to get a drink from the bar. Asking the young lady food options she suggested I could have pizza in the sister hotel or tex mex in the ranch. I think she sensed that these weren't options I would consider and then suggested the Owl and Pussy Cat (this was closed when I went into town) Her last choice was Culture where I eventually ate - WOW unbelievable food and service. I went to my room and thank goodness looked for the hairdryer before showering - there wasn't one! So back down to the bar and asked the one member of staff if she could provide one. She said she would phone her manager and get back to me - commenting that 'there was always a hairdryer in each room so the one on mine must have been nicked' I was tempted to ask if she wanted to search my bag but felt this would be childish.
Following day still no hairdryer !! so I had to shower with the nozzle head rather than the rain shower. I should also mention that when I said there was no hairdryer in the room the member of staff asked me if I had checked 'in all the drawers' Those who have stayed in Teifi room will know there is only one drawer in the room - no wardrobe to store clothes and you have to climb over the bed to close the roman blind.
The following morning turned every knob in every direction but my shower was cold. Using the sink was an experience as there was no way to clear the plug which continually filled up with water - toothpaste residue washed away makeup all sat in the bowl - horrible.
Breakfast - served in the 'pub' across the road generally good choice although no fresh fruit what so ever on offer and I had to request water as only fruit juice was on offer. I ordered scrambled eggs ans smoked salmon - when it arrived the smoked salmon had been cooked! - maybe I am uninitiated but I have never have cooked smoked salmon before. I won't be returning to Brown's I frequently visit West Wales as it is only an hour's drive away but if I want to return to Laugharne a local has recommended a 'homely' b and b that I'll definately try in the future.
Laugharne itself - outstanding people are so friendly great walks and atmosphere and food in CULTURE out of this world

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Dear Jaguar 58,

We pride ourselves on the way we look after guests and other Trip Advisor reviews regularly commend our staff's helpfulness, which is reflected in our 85% 'thumbs-up' rate. We've just been named #17 in The Guardian's 'Top Boutique Hotels Under £100', and were given a 'Cool Factor' of 9/10 by The Times, so we are always sorry when our guests do not have a wonderful time. If you decide to stay again, do let us know in advance and we will keep a car-parking space for your beloved Jag!

Best wishes,

Jon

Been to Browns Hotel? Share your experiences!