“Dylan's ghost.” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 19 Laugharne B&B and Inns
Caerphilly, United Kingdom
“Dylan's ghost.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

This pub/B&B relies heavily on its connection to Dylan Thomas. The decor was shabby chic with plenty of reminders of the boy from Swansea , and I don't mean Harry Seacombe ! Barman was very friendly and I hope he gets his degree from Cardiff Uni. Nice pint of ale and a Welsh welcome perfect!

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

My husband is originally from West Wales so I thought I would surprise him with a weekend away in Laugharne. I had heard that Browns was the best hotel to stay at and we were deffinately not disappointed. The staff were very welcoming and incredible helpful, we were even given a bottle of bubbly to start of the birthday celebrations. Our room was stunning and very unique with an incredible comfortable bed. The Manager was very kind and nothing was too much trouble he arranged a table for us at a local restaurant ( The Cors), which is also worth a visit. Breakfast is served a few steps away from the hotel where there is large range of choices. We had the welsh breakfast which we both thoroughly enjoyed. This is a stunning boutique hotel with an incredible warm and friendly welcome. We will deffinately be back.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

Had a magical couple of nights in Browns. We wanted to spend a few days touring West Wales and stayed in three places in all. Browns was by far the best.
Only a short walk from the famous boat house and estuary.
We arrived to such a smiley homely welcome from the manager and staff and were immediately shown to our room. The room was so lovely with clean crisp sheets and such a comfy bed.
Delicious bar snacks/tapas and breakfast is a couple of doors away where we were treated to delicious cooked and cold foods.
This is my first review and glad that I can offer such positive memories as I know how important trip advisor is to small businesses.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

I've just returned from my third stay at Browns in Laugharne and it just gets better!! This is fast becoming my favourite weekend getaway! It has just the right mix of style and homeliness. It is luxurious but not fussy.

Essentially the Browns is a glorified B&B as it does not have a restaurant so you have your breakfast in the pub next door - The Mariners - for us this is part of the fun! The management have really made the best of the lack of restaurant and are offering simple yet hearty bar snacks - these are yummy! I had the fishcakes with sweet chilli sauce and my partner had the glamorgan sausages (all homemade) We also ordered the antipasto to share but we needn't have as they really were very filling! Since our last visit there are a few more places to eat in Laugharne, a new Tex Mex and another restaurant has re-opened after being closed for winter. The pub next door do Pizza's and there's a chip shop. If you're looking for something a bit special I'd recommend The Cors Restaurant - what a treat! I can't even think of anywhere this good for food in Cardiff!!

Browns is definitely one of the coolest hotels i have ever stayed in - it has a laid back and relaxed feel - just what we are looking for from an escape-to-the-country weekend break from our busy city lives.

My favourite bits

- The baths! they are huge! I felt like a mermaid bobbing about in that thing!!
- The decor, i love the 50s vintage style.
- The staff - Friendly, attentive and approachable. They remembered us from our last stay and couldn't have done more to make us feel Browns was a home from home. Thank you guys!
- The charming and rather eccentric town of Laugharne the hotel is situated in.
- The history and character of the place (and locals that drink in the bar).
- The iPod/iphone dock in the bedrooms.
- The hdmi connection to the tv so i can watch films from my computer.

For such a young hotel (only 9 months since it opened) we think it is just fabulous! Browns, Thank you! we will be back!!

Room Tip: Rooms on the first floor are the noisiest!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

Thanks again to all at Browns Hotel for "another" great weekend!

We stayed in another of the grand rooms which was as beautiful as the last!

I cannot praise the staff highly enough with their warm welcome and attentive service throughout our stay. We came to relax and that is exactly what we did! The bar menu was perfect for what we wanted particularly after a wonderful hearty breakfast.

Thank you and will be back again during the summer - thoroughly recommended.

Shepton Mallet, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

We have just spent two nights of the first bank holiday of the year here and I wish we hadn't bothered.whilst the room was lovely albeit small and the bathroom very smart - there was nowhere to hang a hand towel and the walls are so thin I could hear the person in the adjoining room snoring & we could hear their conversations!!
The hotel doesn't actually have a restaurant you are sent over the rd to their sister business if you wish to eat( they only served mediocre pizzas) you also have to go over the road for breakfast,it took 15 mins to get someone's attention just for coffee, half the items were missing from the welsh full breakfast when we finally got it( it took an hour to come) and the ladies toilets were less than clean.
Considering the Boutique hotel style room and the price we paid ( £220) for a double room for 2 nights I really would expect a lot better. I would like to have spoken to the management about my thoughts before we left BUT after standing at reception for at least 5 minutes whilst no one came I left my key and came away.
We wanted to stay in Laugharn for another night as we loved the town itself- so we booked into a lovely B&B in the town.. Shame on you Browns!!!!!

• Stayed March 2013
South Wales
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

We have just returned from Browns in Laugharne and really enjoyed the stay there. The hotel has a lovely atmosphere and charm which hasn't had it taken away by its complete refurbishment that took place last year. Of course it relies heavily on Dylan Thomas who spent a lot of his time there in the hotel, pub and village. The boutique bedroom Corran was lovely and atmospheric as well, good quality, beverages available and four miniature Welsh cakes. Had read previously about slamming doors well that has been sorted as all doors have had closures fitted, however, the green light in the ceiling hasn't but it didn't cause us any problems. Breakfast is served in the pub across the road which in itself was charming. Sadly the wait for breakfast was just too long, one waitress on her own just couldn't cope. Saturday we thought would have improved as there was two waitress's but the wait was longer and sadly my breakfast was near to cold on arrival and only mine was served waiting again for for my husbands. Waiting to be served in the bar on Saturday evening again was just too long. The hotel was no better, the lady behind the bar just kept disappearing, people came in and waited by the bar and got fed up and left in both hotel and pub. Selection for breakfast was good with regards to cooked items but poor on cold items, no fresh fruit offered in any shape or form.

Would i stay there again...Maybe, but its very high priced and the little extras that you expect to be there were there on arrival but were not replenished ie the little welsh cakes even the tea. All of this may be because its the start of the season, I don't know but it does need to rethink its staffing levels. Other than that its a great place.

Room Tip: Corran is a lovely room but beware if your above 5'3" as you could hit your head on the way...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Browns Hotel? Share your experiences!