“So much potential but service falls flat” 3 of 5 stars

The Corran Resort & Spa
East Marsh, Laugharne SA33 4RS, Wales (Formerly Hurst House on the Marsh)   |
Ranked #4 of 19 Laugharne B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“So much potential but service falls flat”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

Let me start off by saying that my boyfriend and I did a two-day getaway to The Corran on the cheap, using a Secret Escapes promotion. We were looking for a Welsh country mini-break from London and resort had decent proximity to some great beaches, so we booked it.

I read about the service issues at The Corran before the new ownership, and although I'm sure things have improved, I don't believe that the experience warrants the non-promotional rates.

The grounds were gorgeous and understated. Beautifully appointed rooms, although they can do with more comfortable beds. I really liked the spacious bathrooms and they came with great toiletries.

The front desk staff was helpful and promptly answered our request for a fan (our room was hot and stuffy due to a rare heat wave).

But... where service really fell flat was in the restaurant. There is not a lot to do in the local area and the resort really does revolve around the spa and restaurant. With these as the main attractions at the resort, it would behoove management to really raise the bar. We were told by on of the waiters very proudly that, "they are what they are and they aren't trying to be (as a hotel) anything other than what they are." While I appreciate the pride in the local culture and especially that most of the workers live in the area, I think that the resort would be well-served by taking cues from other organizations that have real 5-star service.

It took forever to get service and place orders. Waters were never brought promptly, if at all. We ordered a dessert and were told that it was chocolate, only to have it brought to us and find that there was no chocolate in it at all. The food in general was sub-par for what we paid. Not nuanced at all. Though the quality of the product was great, the execution left something to be desired.

Don't get me wrong. Everyone was very nice and apologetic of the missteps, but, nevertheless, my boyfriend and I commented that we would have felt disappointed had we paid full price.

The property has a ton of potential. But they don't have the service culture right just yet. Also, they would do well with making better use of the grass in front of the bar area. Would be wonderful for lawn games (croquet, etc.)

Room Tip: Loved room 12 in the Byre. Beautiful but, as I said, the bed was a bit firm for my liking.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Nick E, Manager at The Corran Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
Dear Guests
I am so sorry that your visit to The Corran fell short of your expectations. Please be assured that I will address all your points with my staff and ensure that the service levels are maintained to the standard our guests deserve.
Strangely enough I placed an order last week for a Lawn Croquet set so great minds think alike.
Thank you for your comments without which we would not be able to keep our eye on the ball.
Nick Evans

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

We booked our wedding which took place mid-May with the previous owner Matt, who made unrealistic promises to us and then left without warning, just saying he was going on holiday! With alot of apprehension and sleepless nights, we renegotiated our package with the new owners and needn't have worried. Jo and the Corran team were absolutely fantastic, bending over backwards in every respect to ensure we had the best day of our lives, and we certainly did. Intimately gorgeous venue, excellent staff, lovely food and amazing accommodation too. Andrea and Deanne in the spa also did an excellent job with bridal makeup and manicures. We would highly recommend The Corran to anyone looking for that special place to host their special day. It certainly exceeded our expectations, and our guests were also hugely impressed. A huge thank you to the whole of The Corran team, especially Jo. We wish you every success in your new business venture. Steve & Pam x

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Steve & Pam
I am delighted that you and your guests had a great wedding at The Corran and that our venue and staff helped to ensure a beautiful wedding day to start your married life together.
Thanks you for your lovely comments and we all look forward to seeing you both again in the near future.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

This was just what we needed after a few days camping! We booked through Secret Escapes, which was very easy to do with our iPhone using PayPal. The staff and other guests were very friendly and the food was excellent. The rooms were more like apartments, which really takes you back when you step in, especially with all the amazing furniture and vintage pieces dotted around - as well as in the hotel. It's got that country farm feel as well as being modern and contemporary. I only regret we didn't get enough time to kick back and play a little chess in the chic bar area. We'd love to visit again!
More photos on my blog http://www.teastreetblog.com/2013/07/great-outdoors-to-great-hotels.html

Room Tip: 'The Great Barn' was amazing. If it was winter we'd have asked for one with a wood burn...
Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Gloucester
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

We had a fantastic weekend recently at the corran via a secret escapes deal, and it was exactly what we were looking for, stylish boutique -y hotel in peaceful surroundings with tasty restaurant food and nice bar and lovely quiet out door seating areas and friendly staff. Our room (8 - "the best room" so staff told us) was stunning & enormous in a converted barn with vaulted beam ceiling, full size lounge area, comfiest bed that could have slept 5 let alone 2 and stunning bathroom with huge wet room & rainfall shower. Really stylish & spotlessly clean - housekeeping did a fantastic job before & during our stay to keep our room clean & well stocked. Spa & pool were also good.

Just a few things that we noticed that we hope management will see on here and quickly resolve and a few others we put down to a lack of staff experience / Training so we are sure will improve over time:
- Not being told what time breakfast is on check in
- Phones in room but no numbers given ie reception / spa
- Chunk of missing plaster behind our door & broken loo seat & view from our window over to marshes spoiled a bit by building waste etc - just needs smartening up a bit
- No spa menu or any other information in room (nice to know Sunday lunch accompanied by pianist and when dinner times are etc)
- complimentary newspapers left out when guests departed tables outside, still same next (windy,) day

And in the restaurant:
Pastries not replenished at breakfast despite being early
No sugar on table at breakfast
No salt pepper on our table
No seat cushion on my seat
No teaspoons at breakfast
Not told cheeseboard was for 2 - it was such a waste of delicious cheese as hubby just couldn't manage it

The above happened over a 2 night stay so almost every time we entered the restaurant something wasn't right somewhere. It is easy to make allowances though as the staff are lovely and the food in the main was delicious, but for the price you are paying to stay / eat here these little things shouldn't happen.

It wouldn't stop us going back of course, as we really enjoyed ourselves and the corran is a fantastic place, just needs a bit more training and time to get up to 100% in all areas.

Room Tip: Room 8 is stunning - it's the one on their website home page - peacock blue accents and grey sof...
Dear Guests

I was sorry to hear about the issues that you experienced during you stay with us at The Corran. Obviously all the points that you have mentioned are not acceptable so please be assured I will be discussing this with all my staff to ensure that no other guests will have cause to address these issues again.

Please let me thank you for your feedback without which we wouldn’t be able to keep things on track and make improvements where needed.

Melksham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

WOW - we had a 3 night stay at the Corran Resort & Spa, what a lovely relaxing break. Not only was our room in the Byre huge it was luxurious with a lovely bathroom and top quality shower and roll-top bath. The restaurant was excellent food and service, well done to everyone who served us, but especially James in the Restaurant, Jody in Reception and the lovely young lady in the bar whose name cant spell begins with A and is a trained hairdresser! The attention to detail everywhere was great but the most important thing was the friendly and helpful staff especially the team of ladies who looked after the bedrooms and helped my husband sort out the golf on the skybox. We had some friends who lived locally visit us for High Tea - they loved it. The spa treatments were also great and we look forward to seeing The Corran when even more improvements are made which I believe is in the pipeline. We will definitely be back nothing - soon I hope. Thank you to all the team.
Constructive point - more dressing table/bathroom surface required for ladies beauty products in the room.

Room Tip: Ask for a luxury suite - however all the rooms are lovely.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guests
Thank you for your wonderful praise for The Corran and its staff. We take great pride in our friendly service and it’s always a pleasure to receive positive feedback. Regarding your suggestion re dressing table surface in your room I will be discussing this with my maintenance team to establish if we can make some improvements in this area.
Hope to see you again soon

Worcester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

My daughter, 2 grandchildren and myself had a fabulous overnight stay. We booked through Secret Escapes and had a really good deal. Each and every member of staff were friendly, nothing too much trouble, a beautiful large room with supersoft robes and towels. The food was superb. A very peaceful setting and I cannot wait to return.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Gloucester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

Seriously, for a little more (£10/20) than the average price of a b&b in Laughaurne there is no contest! We stayed in the Penthouse, which for a treat for my wifes birthday was like your 15 minutes of fame, (THE BED, THE BATHROOM THE FURNITURE!). Other highlights include. pool, gym, hot tub and beautiful surrounding scenery. Brilliant place. I agree with comments regarding the potholed car park but hey, get over it at least cars can't drive fast! As if I have not said enough to convince you, the restaurant is like something from a movie. Now because of other commitments we did not eat there on this occassion, but if the breakfast was anything to go by we can't wait to eat there the next time, and boy there will be a next time!!! We've started saving.

Room Tip: All rooms look amazing, but the penthouse was wow! Possibly would not want to go if there was a wedd...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Corran Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!