“Gorgeous food, friendly staff & love the refurbished family room” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Highgate Inn

Highgate Inn
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Pembroke
Highgate Inn
You added Highgate Inn to your Saves list
Hundleton, Pembroke SA71 5RD, Wales   |
Ranked #11 of 18 Pembroke B&B and Inns
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Gorgeous food, friendly staff & love the refurbished family room”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2011

My family and I(2 adults 1 child) stayed at this hotel a few weeks ago as we were visiting family in the area. My husband and I stayed in the hotel when it was under the previous owner a few years ago, but we were pleasantly surprised by the refurbishment to the hotel by the new owners. Karen and her partner (I forget his name) gave us a warm, welsh welcome and it is clear to see from the outset the effort they have put into this hotel since they have taken it over. The restaurant is comfortable, clean and modern and the service is second to none by the waiting staff. We ate at the hotel for 2 of our 3 night stay and the food was fantastic. We had lovely, well cooked steak you can tell from the taste it was pan fried to perfection. Our daughter has a egg allergy and the kitchen staff were fantastic in making sure her dietary needs were met. Also all kids meals came with free ice cream, but as the ice cream contained egg, Karen allowed our daughter to help herself to an ice cream from their ice cream/lollies selection so that she was not left out. We were really impressed by this.

We were first to stay in the recently refurbished family room, which was decorated beautifully, with a widescreen TV and had a good selection of tea/coffee/biscuits. Breakfast was gorgeous, cereals, toast, full english, etc.

I would highly recommend the hotel and restaurant to anybody. Really impressed and the restaurant was packed out every night that we were there, that says something in my opinion. The changes made in a year are incredible. I look forward to returning next year to see what else is new.

Thanks Karen and your partner (I'm so sorry I can't remember his name) for a great stay and thanks to your staff and chefs for preparing us some of the best food we have ever tasted.

Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Solo
Business
Pembroke, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2011

This restaurant came recommended, Easy to find location, ample parking, nice area, The local village pub, It's quite a friendly place, a long bar with stools & seating opposite, the restaurant dining area behind, high backed, black leather chairs, seat either 4 or 6 to tables, we ate early around 7.30pm, There were only three other couples, in what seemed like a big place. Maybe due to it being earlyish? There were some customers, having drinks in the lounge, even though there was a large group of men, it was quiet and had a nice atmostphere, to sit & chat over drinks or dinner. The waitress was very helpful, 1st impressions was it looked warm & welcoming, well lit & had an airy lounge bar/restaurant, we were both quite hungry and were looking forward to our meal, My hubby had, Pant Mawr Cheese in batter with salad & red onion chutney, it was nice and tasty, he is quite fussy with food, he enjoyed it & would definitely eat this again if offered on a menu. I went for the Pate with crusty bread, onion chutney, this was quite nice, a very strong liver taste on the pate. both starters were served with the same salad garnish,a customary, tomato, cucumber & iceberg sprinkled with some Ranch dressing, ( I think??) The side salad & garnish, leaves a lot to be desired, the tomato's were soft, cucumber limp, with shredded iceberg lettuce, I think it may have been washed and not dried of properly, I seemed to have water on my plate, the coleslaw was the shop bought, cheap variety, that was really sharp, not at all creamy like homemade coleslaw tastes. The chips were the best I'v had around the local area, home made chunky and crispy, delicious, I had the 8oz sirloin, med to well cooked?? "Oh Dear, This was were it went downhill fast.. Just cutting my steak, I could tell it probably wasn't going to be a great steak, but after having a couple of mouthfuls, I had to abandon my steak, for medium to well cooked it looked strangely anaemic, with only a little here and there, when I turned my steak over, it had not been browned at all, it was watery, (I think it may have been pre frozen, as there seemed a lot of watery juice. as if my steak had been poached one side), It was really tough and I had trouble eating the bit I had, pity as I had high hopes for it.
My hubby had the 6oz Filet, Unfortunately his steak was the same, anemic...poached look one side.. medium rare, was quite tough,with a lack of seasoning on the steak before cooking. Not the best cooked steak, we have ever tasted, we always taste each other's food when eating out, to sample as much as we can. We also had the accompanying breaded mushrooms and onion rings, neither of us ate our mushroom, as it looked probably the least appealing, on overall a very good looking plate of food.. The onion rings looked to die for... but my onion ring tasted like battered sausage?? it was the same batter as you get on a chippy sausage, but my onion ring actually tasted of sausage, maybe cooked in the same fryer I thought?? Would we come back, Hmmm.. Sorry but, No, but only because we are quiet people, that hate confrontation and would never dream of complaining. I'm sure had we complained our steaks would have been refired and we would have had the best service, as the staff/ bar/ were lovely, we just don't like complaining & returning food. We just don't return :(

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Highgate Inn? Share your experiences!