“Even I was gobsmacked” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #3 of 8 things to do in Lampeter
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The Welsh Quilt Centre opened in Lampeter Town Hall in 2009 to celebrate the Welsh Quilt and to promote a wider understanding of the importance of this regional art form. Here you can enjoy stunning exhibitions of Welsh Quilts in the gallery, attend quilt-related courses or just browse the intriguing Welsh Quilt Centre Gallery Shop. The original cottage shop in Llanybydder also remains open.
Swansea, United Kingdom
39 attraction reviews
“Even I was gobsmacked”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

I was roped in to be the driver of the mini coach to take 15 keen craftswomen to see the Kaffe Fassett exhibition at the Welsh Quilt Centre which runs until the end of October 2013. The group went in and I stayed talking to the staff who ran the Centre. They mentioned that photographs were permitted but without the use of flash. I thought the ladies would like a photo or two so I went back to the coach to pick up my camera.

On entering the main exhibition area I was amazed at the vibrant colours of the quilts which were displayed by being hung from the ceiling. They were well lit by carefully positioned spotlights and the effect was one of clashing designs and colour. As I said in the heading, even I, a mere male, was impressed.

The Welsh Quilt Centre is run by Jen Jones and many of the permanent exhibits are from her own collection of quilts so throughout 2013 there will be a stark contrast between the original Welsh quilts and the modern designs of Kaffe Fassett.

My entire group thoroughly enjoyed the visit and it was enhanced by the presence of Jen Jones who gave them a guided tour of the exhibition - and I am told that she certainly knows everything there is to know about quilts. I should point out that this had been prearranged for our group so not all visitors will have the benefit of Jen's immense knowledge. That said, it would still be a shame to miss the Welsh Quilt Centre if visiting south west Wales.

Almost next door is the shop Calico Kate. My group popped in while I went to retrieve the mini-coach and again were suitably impressed. I am told there were things there for those keen on sewing that you don't find in craft shops even in much larger towns.

It's looking like a repeat visit to Lampeter!

One criticism - parking. There is some street parking nearby which I felt compelled to use because the town pay and display car park charges 40 p for 2 hours for a car, which is a bargain, but it's over £7.00 for a coach because the only option is an all day ticket. That's not right and cannot be at all encouraging for coach operators to take people to Lampeter.

Visited July 2013

Cardiff, United Kingdom
33 attraction reviews
“Kaffe Fassett comes to Wales”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

We went to visit the Kaffe Fassett exhibition which was on show here until November 2nd 2013. The quilts are an explosion of riotous colour, beautifully displayed in this wonderful gallery alongside some excellent examples of Welsh quilts.
There is another small exhibition area downstairs and a shop selling books, prints and quilting materials.
The staff were most helpful pointing out special features and recommending other places to visit in Lampeter.
There is also more of Kaffe Faccett's work at The National Wool Museum Llandysul again until November 2nd

Visited April 2013
Pencader
4 attraction reviews
“A must see for any quilter”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

What a wonderful place - I was just blown away by the current exhibition. The contrast of new modern quilts and the antique ones was so well displayed- and in such an amazing setiing.. The gallery shop downstairs does not just stock "quilty things" but has a wonderful array of modern and vintage jewellery plus interesting knick knacks as well.
Well worth a visit but allow plenty of time - you need time to take it all in

Visited April 2013