“Best Food, Great Atmosphere” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 30 Restaurants in Lampeter
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Description: The Castle Green is a Public House and Restaurant. The owner is the Chef, please try our food. Please note we do not take credit cards, and reservations for evening restaurant meals must be made no later than 4.30pm daily. Bar and Lounge meals are available without reservations.
Lampeter, United Kingdom
“Best Food, Great Atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2014

I go to the Castle Green regularly to play darts and they are always polite and accommodating. There's such a friendly atmosphere I always look forward to going there. I like it so much my fiance and I went to the Castle Green for Christmas dinner and it was fantastic. Absolutely delicious food. There was such a selection to choose from we had to try everything!

Visited December 2013

“Best roast ever!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014

I would highly recommend the Castle Green, they probably have the best roast dinners i've ever tasted and wish I could go more often! Mavis and Bryan are always very friendly as are the staff, it's very good value for money. We have been going here for over 10 years, from Sunday lunches to Bingo dinners and we've enjoyed every time. Keep up the good work.

• Visited February 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
West Wales
“Excellent Carvery”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2014 via mobile

A choice of Turkey, Beef or Pork. Excellent choice of vegetables, and everything piping hot. Delicious gravy.
Staff Cymraeg a chroeso cynnes arferol gan Brian a Mavis.

Visited January 2014
Southampton, United Kingdom
“A Hidden Gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2014

I first learnt about the Castle Green in 2010 when I started the first year of my undergrad in Lampeter. Me and a few good friends decided to try their Sunday roast and we were absolutely blown away! The food was absolutely amazing and I can guarantee that you won't find a better Sunday roast in Lampeter - absolutely divine! Not only was the food amazing but Bryan and Mavis were wonderful hosts! She asked for our names when we paid and since then we've always been on first name basis.

This soon became our favourite hang out place in town and we also hosted several socials there with societies I was involved in. We always got top notch service and never left on empty stomachs!

I'm happy to say that I can now count Mavis and Bryan amongst my very good friends! They are just these genuinely nice people who always greet you with a smile on their faces wherever you see them! When I came for a short visit to Lampeter last summer I naturally went for a visit to the Castle Green. It was great to see Mavis and Bryan again and when I mentioned I was going to travel to Aberystwyth to stay the night they insisted on me staying with them and before I knew it Bryan and cooked me a gorgeous chorizo spaghetti bowl.

What I love the most about the Castle Green is the relaxed atmosphere and the fact that it is a family run business. Since all the different pub chains started up it has always been the problem that the pubs are all the same and if there is on horrible menu then it is everywhere. This pub is a unique gem and the food is always cooked freshly from scratch. I choose to support a local business rather than a pub from a chain of pubs and I hope you will do the same! We need to bring more of these sort of pubs back into Wales!

So what is there not to like? Friendly hosts, great atmosphere and gorgeous food! As a big plus if you're travelling by car then there are plenty of choices to park nearby.

Visited September 2013
Aberaeron, United Kingdom
“Fantastic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014 via mobile

We're abit obsessed with this place. We came for our anniversary meal on Saturday night. We honestly didn't think it could get any better than the last time we visited. How wrong we were. We were welcomed as usual by the wonderful Mavis who asked us where we would like to sit, we were informed that a party of 10 were booked in for a carvery and we we're welcome to that if we wished. We declined the offer as this is the best place ever for stakeand we didnt want to miss out. For starters my hubby had king prawn and I had ggarlic mushroom with brandy. Wow they were lush. Then for main we had lamb and stake. Brian's sauces are the best ever. He even did a special sause for me with prawns in. Along with our huge amount of meat we had home made chips yummy then we had carrots cauliflower and broccoli. That wasnt sll thou we also had a whole roasted pineapple with herby potatoes on it hut when you dug deap there was roasted pineapple mixed with gammon. Absolute perfection. We just managed to fit in a shared pud and coffee with homemade mince pie. Then we just sat back and relaxed. There was no rush to leave or to order anything else. Thankyou Brian & Mavis for making our rare night out without the children so special.

• Visited January 2014