“Excellent service, clean, good food, great location, very happy:-)” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Black Lion Royal Hotel

You added The Black Lion Royal Hotel to your Saves list
The Black Lion Royal Hotel
High St., Dyfed, Lampeter SA48 7BG, Wales   |
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Lampeter
Chester, United Kingdom
“Excellent service, clean, good food, great location, very happy:-)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

I have to admit that I am a Tripadvisor virgin but I had to sign up and give a review to this Hotel because I think there are a lot of sad people out there, who just go out of their way to give nasty reviews! you know the type's, they're the glass half empty brigade, who don't care what effect their comments may have on this great Hotel's future business.
Our stay on 24th Sept 11 was booked through Booking.com who failed to inform the Hotel that I had requested an additional bed for our teenage son who was starting Uni the next day. Even though this error was not the fault of the Hotel, they were very apologetic and resolved the issue quickly, by adding another bed to the room..they then insisted we will not be paying for the room. The hotel is just as you would expect a Welsh Village Hotel to be..very quaint and the food and service was superb. The staff were very attentive, friendly, helpful and informative.
Our room was more than adequate and well equipped, clean comfy beds, nice en suite.
The view from the window was to the road and this was pleasant as Lampeter is a pretty place, with the town bell chiming sweetly till midnight.
When we went down for breakfast we were given the option of whatever we liked, so we opted for the Full Welsh Breakfast with the tastiest sausages I've ever had. We were amazed when we were told that the breakfast too was free because of the Booking.com mix up.
All in all, wonderful and we will be back but if you decide not to go to this hotel then great! at least it will be available for me when I next visit my son.

Room Tip: Street to the front, car park facing rooms to the rear, your choice! We had street with no problems.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Taunton, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2011

Stayed here for one night on business as it was short notice, wish I had never bothered. Where do I start ? The room - very tatty, large cracks in the outside wall, large areas of damp on the walls and the room generally "scruffy" with wallpaper and paint peeling everywhere. The restaurant - SHOCKING ! Service is non existent, left waiting for over an hour before served and then left waiting again between courses, shocking service and hard to believe this place is still trading. I ordered a medium steak, it was so tough I could not cut it with a steak knife and it was dripping in blood. There was an elderly group on the table next to me and I felt really sorry for them, the young "boy" serving completely ignored them at least twice before he bothered to see them. I travel around the UK a lot and can honestly say this place takes all the awards for the worse place I have ever stayed at. Never again, and I advise you to avoid like the plague if you have any sense.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Birmingham UK
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2011

Well, an interesting experience! The food was not bad, but the service was very inconsistent. The young woman who initially served us was friendly and helpful, but after our first course, we were totally forgotten. Having waited for 20 minutes for our plates to be removed and a pudding ordered, we cut our losses and paid at the bar. Happily, we weren't that hungry!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
LLandegfan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2011

One week stay mid September2011paid for by my client otherwise I would have checked out after a couple of days. Room very hot and loud traffic noise, poorly maintained and scruffy, not serviced daily. Chamber maid used my old soiled towel to dry crockery she had washed with same rag to clean bathroom and did replace soiled disposable glasses in the bathroom. Breakfast was a trial of patience with long waits for muddled orders. No difference in taste between the tea and coffee! Some in group bought takeaway coffees from across the road to have with breakfast. I do not recommend this hotel at all.

Room Tip: The remainder of the group had same issues so can't be sure there are any good rooms at this hot...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Hastings, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2011

Stayed here August 2011 whilst on a business/pleasure trip. We stayed in 4 different hotels over as many days and this was the worst. I will be brief. Not much welcome upon arrival (not asking for banners and a party, but a smile would be nice) pretty scruffy overall, tired room and hallways. cold drafty windows and noisy too as no double glazing disinterested staff and just generally, well.........shabby!! Breakfast was ok but just ok. Quite expensive too for what it is, but unfortunately not much competition in the area. Staff/Management should try a night in The De Vere Swansea Village including breakfast buffet and health club (£69) or The Royal Cardiff Hotel (£49) to see how the real world of Hotels operates. Things might improve if that were to happen. Its Ok if the location suits you, but that's it really.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Wales
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2011

I stayed here with friends for 2 nights in mid-August, and we were given a very warm welcome by all of the staff at the Black Lion. Breakfast was excellent and the bar area and choice of beers was very good. Unfortunately, the rooms we stayed in were in desperate need of updating - wallpaper hanging off walls, light shades missing, dirty carpets - Brains Brewery should be ashamed of themselves! This could be a really nice place to stay, if only some money were spent on bringing the rooms up to a reasonable standard.

Room Tip: The town clock is opposite the hotel and strikes every quarter of an hour, so ask for a room at the...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Jersey, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2011

We stayed for two nights at this hotel. The staff were really friendly and the food excellent especially the breakfast which was really substantial. What let it down was the tired bedrooms. In our room the curtains were so threadbare that when we went to close them a strip came off in our hand! In the bathroom there were the remants of a towel rail and no toilet paper holder. the first morning I thought I would have a nice refreshing shower - WRONG! The water trickled out of the shower head at such a slow rate it was impossible to even get wet!!! The same applied in both the rooms my sons had.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Been to The Black Lion Royal Hotel? Share your experiences!