“what a fab find” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
“what a fab find”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013 via mobile

My partner and i have just returned from our first visit to the Golden Lion . We had the early bird menu. The restaurant is lovely andvery welcoming. I had the spiced winter squash risotto which was superb. my partner decided to have a main course and dessert. our mains courses of pie of the day and gammon were full of flavour and excellent portion size. For dessert my partner had the sticky toffee pudding which he said was excellent. We can't wait for our second visit

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

“Shocked”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

We have just been banned! Our crime was complaining about a bad meal! The waitress in charge ( she told us the manager had walked our) took the drinks off the bill. We returned tonight to e told we owed them money for the drinks! This pace is a mess!

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Nice meal and good service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

First time we have been here and we were very impressed. We were found a table in the restaurant despite not having booked. Nice surroundings and good attentive service. Bill was also reasonable for what we had. Will definately go back to try out the Sunday lunch.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Bright and Airy”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

Having eaten at the Golden Lion on a number of occasions i can recommend it for its lovely food and great atmosphere.The staff are very friendly and make you feel welcome.It is very popular on the weekends and has a great feel about it since the redecoration.Some of the meals are abit on the expensive side but there are some nice reasonable priced meals which are very good.

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Newport, United Kingdom
“Sunday lunch with a twist!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

Went for Sunday lunch...a bit last minute. The restaurant is obviously popular and was packed, yet they happily found room for the ten of us.

The food was good and reasonably priced. The meat was thick and cooked to perfection (I had my beef medium). The vegetables were crunchy where they were meant to be and soft everywhere else, the gravy was lovely...but my favourite was the lightly battered cauliflower yummy!

Dessert was a cheesecake and it was divine.

I enjoyed my meal so much I wanted to go back the following week.

My gripe - drinks were expensive and cokes came in those smaller glasses with too much ice, so you only get a few sips before it's all gone. Sort that out though and I would have been absolutely over the moon.

• Visited January 2013