“Wonderful!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 6 things to do in Tywyn
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Owner description: The Talyllyn Railway is a historic narrow gauge steam railway, running from Tywyn to Abergynolwyn and Nant Gwernol through unspoilt Snowdonia. Tywyn is home to the Narrow Gauge Railway Museum, Railway Shop and King's Licensed Cafe & Bistro. The line passes the delightful Dolgoch Falls and there are excellent forest walks at Nant Gwernol.We offer a great day out for all the family. Groups receive a discount when booked in advance.
Eyam
4 attraction reviews
“Wonderful!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

I visited the railway as part of my research for a university project based on the railway. I couldn't have asked for better service. The staff were all friendley and approachable and when they found out y reason for visiting they even managed to arrange a quick ride in the cab of the engine as it ran round the train and a ride int he guards van back down to the wharf.

I really cannot fault the service this railway gives. All the staff kindly went out of there way to make the day as good as it possibly could have been. I'll definatley be back for another visit!

Visited November 2012
TalyllynRailway, Marketing Officer at Talyllyn Railway, responded to this review, January 5, 2013
@RobJackson We are glad we could assist you in your university research and that you had an enjoyable day whilst your were here. We are always happy to help out were we can and show people behind the scenes.

Tårnby
31 attraction reviews
“Top class narrow gauge”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Best narrow gauge railway i've tried. Nice engines and nice route. Do get of at Dol Goch and walk around.

Visited May 2012
somerset uk
15 attraction reviews
“Day out”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

We had a lovely day out on the railway. We arrived not knowing the timetable and the station master very kindly held the train for us to get on. It was good fun with nice plush seats! We didn't get out for the falls.... maybe next time? There were no signs warning people NOT to put their heads out of the window.. I shut my eyes when we went through tunnels as a child was sticking his head out. Fortunately, he pulled his head in, in time! I know it wasn't his fault, just his daft- but- nice Grandad's, maybe?

Visited October 2012
coventry, england
“a step back in time”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

a little piece of living history against a fantastic backdrop. never fails to disappoint come rain or shine.

Visited October 2012
Birmingham
“Baby's first steam train”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

My 20 mth old, like most his age I expect, has a fascination for trains so while we were staying in Dolgellau during a short break in Wales we were recommended to go to the Talyllyn Railway. We got there just in time and in actual fact were a bit late but the platform guard held the train up while I got the tickets! We spent a great afternoon despite the rain travelling up and down this mostly picture postcard route and at the end of it rounded off the trip with a visit to the Museum. I loved it! ... I think my son did too ;)

Visited September 2012