“Friendly staff” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Ruthin
Dumfries, United Kingdom
“Friendly staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

Just stayed two nights here in the most quaint room. Uneven floors and beamed ceiling....lovely. We were made very welcome by every member of staff, this did not feel like a big anonymous chain hotel at all. The public areas are beautifully decorated and the whole place has oldie worldie charm. We had breakfast each morning in one of the lounge areas where there is a real log fire burning and the server remembered what we would like from the day before, its these little things that make a difference.
Only little quibble, the room was lovely but a little more attention could be paid to vacuuming, hair pins and sweet wrappers on carpet that were not ours!
All in all I would not hesitate to return, Wetherspoons should be proud of their Ruthin team.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Kelvin C, Manager at Castle Hotel, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to comment on oyur recent stay with us.
We pride ourselves on our friendly team of staff and we and Wetherspoons are justifiably proud of our Ruthin operation
Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Eire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

Well, I had stayed at this hotel/pub in June 2012 and did a review.
I stayed there again with my son in Sept.2012 for 3 nights. Will try & keep this short. On check in the receptionist said I had booked a single room & the price I was quoted was incorrect. (I had booked over the phone about a month before going & because I had had issues I was given a reduced rate for a twin room). When sorted we got a twin room, 304, after unpacking, we were leaving the room & as my son ( who is 6`4``) walked straight into the spring on the door, he didn't hurt himself, the door is low which we were not aware of. Next morning I had a shower & when getting dressed I hit off the radiator which was extremely hot & got a nice burn, went to reception & asked for burn gel/spray. The gentleman on reception went to see & came back with a bucket of ice... and he said due to health & safety they were not allowed have these items... the spray I agree but burn gel you can as it is a water based gel & safe to use. I went to the local Tesco & got cream, it was a Sunday, no pharmacies open. Going back to the radiator, I turned it off when eventually found switch. The next day I turned it on while we were gone for the day. When back I asked the receptionist to check it, & she was shocked at how hot it was, I switched it off again.
Last issue was the shower height, it was fine for me but my son had to kneel to wash his hair!!!
Was told that an incident report was done regarding my burn.
On my return home, I was expecting to hear from Wetherspoons & after a week or so I e-mailed head office, no reply, then phoned them & about a week later I received 4x£5 vouchers! A result I am not so sure.
Really hope that rad is sorted as could and would cause serious burn.
After all that I would return as it is a nice place & think I was jinxed.

Room Tip: Ask when booking for room description
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Kelvin C, Manager at Castle Hotel, responded to this review, November 18, 2012
In reply to your comment following your recent stay with us.
As I am sure you understand this is a listed building and it has had a sympathetic restoration and many of our rooms have beams and lower ceilings although equally as many have high ceilings however due to the age of the building it was not possible to fully alter many features in the rooms.
The towel rails have been checked out following the incident report I filled in.
I am sorry you incurred the problem in the bathroom and note that it has not detracted from the fact that you would stay again albeit maybe in a different room.
Plymouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

Nice room, in recently restored hotel, kind of boutique in style which was a little out of keeping with the age of the property but was fitted out well and I really liked the details like keeping the sash windows. Staff very helpful. Hotel is also pub so can be quite noisy at the weekend as this is the Weatherspoons pub in the area, but is good value if want to eat there. Downside here though breakfast is Weatherspoons and I am not a fan, as I eat museli and fruit and this was not an option as they only have their own menu, but if you want a reasonably priced fry up including a veggie option then you are ok. Go for a room at the top as we didn't really notice any noise except when it was kicking out time and our window was open.
Beautiful part of Wales, good place to explore the North from. We were there for a family wedding in the town and the hotel is very central and there are a couple of nice places to eat and a craft centre at the bottom of the hill with a nice cafe where they make their own bread.

Room Tip: Quieter rooms at the top of the hotel if you stay over a weekend, but not really noisy anyway.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Kelvin C, Manager at Castle Hotel, responded to this review, November 18, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us
and am pleased to read you enjoyed it.We are trying to offer healthier options when we roll out menu updates and now offer yoghurt and fruit, and lower calorie porridge as well as all calorific values on our menu which hopefully you may enjoy on another stay at a Wetherspoon Hotel.
Hull
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

we had a problem with our room, there was a locked door in the room leading into the next door room which caused such a lack of soundproofing between the rooms the next door guest could have been in our room. we complained at reception and where moved into another room which was a fantastic room as was the original room apart from the noise. The hotel is a fantastic old building the rooms are fantastic and the staff where really friendly and helpfull.The management are aware off the soundproof problem and hopefully will be rectified soon but all in all is a great hotel and would not hesitate to stay there again.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Kelvin C, Manager at Castle Hotel, responded to this review, November 18, 2012
Thank you for your comments.
At last the offending door has been replaced with a sound deadening one
that does a much better job.
Widnes, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012 via mobile

Came for for a meal with my wife, good offers on the food if wanted, very helpful and polite staff. Good choice on menu and when food arrived was very good, large selection of drinks ans guest ales.
A large building with lots of floors and plenty of tables. In the middle of the village , well worth a visit.

• Stayed October 2012
slough
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

Large airy whetherspoon pub with rooms.
Food was what you would expect but the ambiance was really good.
Decor and cleanliness first rate.
Was staying at the Ruthin castle hotel but we ate at this castle as it was more affordable.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Newcastle-under-Lyme, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

We stayed here on 7 October and were pleasantly surprised by the quality of the accommodation. The whole building - hotel and bar - has been sympathetically refurbished, looks really good and is unlike any Wetherspoons we have visited before. Our room was well decorated, well equipped and very clean, although the bathroom was small. The receptionist was very friendly and helpful. We ate both dinner and breakfast in one of the bar lounges which was very nice. We had an issue with one of the main meals at dinner but the Bar Manager, Claire, was extremely helpful and apologetic and rectified the problem immediately, offering more than reasonable compensation in the form of a free drink each with our meal and a free breakfast the next morning for both of us. If you are looking for somewhere to stay in Ruthin, we would definitely recommend - don't let the fact that it is a Wetherspoons put you off. It is completely different.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Kelvin C, Manager at Castle Hotel, responded to this review, November 18, 2012
Thank you for your kind comments following your recent stay with us.
I am pleased to read that the duty manager dealt with your issue promptly and
you where overall happy with your stay.
Kelvin clayton
Hotel Manager

Been to Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!