“Unable to get food,” 2 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Wrexham, United Kingdom
“Unable to get food,”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

Stunning hotel and very friendly staff, as long as you do not stay when there is a wedding on, we were unable to get a meal on the Saturday evening or a sandwich for lunch on Sunday, we went to this hotel to relax as my husband was recovering from major surgery, so we did not fell like going out to eat which we had to do, and having paid £170 per night found you had to pay extra for a full English breakfast.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Plas R, General Manager at Chateau Rhianfa, responded to this review, November 8, 2013
Dear 2brandish,

Thank you for your recent review and for taking the time to praise my team.

I would also like to apologise that you were not able to dine at the Chateau. Normally,our guests dine with the 'Chateau Dining experience' in the evenings and a sandwich/light bites menu during the day.

We try to recommend that guests book the dining experience either at the time of the reservation or a few days prior to arrival as it can be extreemly popular. I can only assume that the evening was fully booked when you arrived, but fully understand your frustration because you wanted to stay and relax in the evening.

On a more positive note, I hope that your Husband is now feeling better and that we can welcome you both back again very soon.

Martin Page

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (195)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013 via mobile

We booked the Venue prior to it being finished. The location, rooms and sheer ambience of the hotel are 5 star. We experienced nothing but 5 star treatment throughout. The rooms are superbly appointed and we had full access to the whole hotel throughout our stay.On behalf of my daughter her husband and all who attended the celebrations on the 18,19 and 20th October we thank you for making our stay so special and memorable.
Roy Pugh

• Stayed October 2013
Dear Roystonpugh,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write your review in relation to your Daughters wedding at the Chateau.

It was a really tremendous day, and I am delighted that you were all so pleased with the special celebration. Please do share with us the photographs as I know there should be some lovely shots!

Hope to welcome you back again very soon.

Southport, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

Staff were obliging, friendly, outward going, nothing was too much bother, we were made to feel at home immediately we walk through the door. Our room "The Duchess Suite" was amazing with wonderful views across the Menai strait. All staff were more than happy to inform us of the history of the place, the food, wines and service were well above excellent, would love to go again in the summer as it rained most of the time we were there, but it couldn't dampen our enthusiasm for such a wonderful place, You just have to go and stay there! All our photos were personal, but watch you seen on the website is what you get, great.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the Menai Strait
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Plas R, General Manager at Chateau Rhianfa, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
Dear Jerry G,

Thank you for rating your stay with us as 5 out of 5, it is a pleasure to read that you enjoyed your stay at the Chateau and found every aspect to be of a high standard.

I do agree that the Duchess Suite is a lovely room, and many guests comment on its space and view from the rool top bath over the Menai Straits!

Its a shame that the weather was wet during your stay, but I hope that you had the opportunity to explore the Island.

Looking forwsrd to welcoming you back again very soon.

Loughborough, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

I didn't get to stay at Chateau Rhianfa but I believe my feedback relevant for other customers to see. I had an email dialogue with a very helpful receptionist who quoted me £155 per room per night for each of the principal suites on the dates I wanted, I decided to book the three best suites for our children and ourselves to celebrate a special occasion next year - our Ruby Wedding Anniversary. I emailed 2 weeks later to confirm the booking and was told the price was now £299 per suite per night!! An almost 100% increase in tarif. Naturally I thought this must be an error and rang to 'clear up the mistake'. What followed was the worst customer service I've ever received in my 57 years. They would not honour the originally quoted price; I spoke to the general manager and he refused saying £299 per room per night was now the price; so I asked how I complain. I was given a regional manager's email who I contacted and let her know just how upset I was with this poor treatment. She responded telling me that as they are doing so well at the Chateau and are receiving a substantial amount of bookings, they've just hiked the price knowing they can fill the Chateau largely with wedding parties and the like. She was sorry I was disappointed but that was now the price. Then she went on to tell me how successful the Chateau is and how proud she is of this Amazing venue etc
The above is the short version of what happened. The management of this place are all about the money and showed no compassion or care whatsoever - no customer focus.
Despite no less than two receptionists and the General Manager making it clear my dates were available if I want to book (albeit at the two different prices), the Regional Manager threw in that I wouldn't be able to book in anyway as it was too far in advance!!

Disgusted - I've booked elsewhere on Anglesey with lovely people who were warm, caring and keen to meet our needs. And for significantly less than £155 per night. I'll feel a lot happier giving them our hard-earned money that's for sure.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Plas R, General Manager at Chateau Rhianfa, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
Dear JuliaEFisher56,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review in relation to the quoatation offered for your future stay.

After our lengthy telephone conversation, I hope that you are kind enough to accept my apologies that the price of rooms for next year had changed over the two week period between your initial enquiry and the date you wished to commence the reservation.

The Chateau has now been open just over a year, and we are grateful to have received a lovely reputation for the uniqueness of the building, fantastic views and the hospitality of the team. We are very proud of the kind comments offered by our previous guests and never take them for granted. However, as we review our business for the next coming year, it is important that we ensure our prices reflect the quality of the guest stay and that we also continue to offer excellent value for money for an amazing experience.

Although you have chosen not to stay at the Chateau, I am sure that you will still have a memorable stay on the Island with the opportunity to view the wonderful scenery, quaint towns and fully explore.

With kind regards,

Annandale, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

I cannot say enough about the management and staff at the Plas Rhianfa. From the moment we arrived to the day we left Everyone when out of their way to make our stay one to remember. The friendliness and knowledge of the staff was remarkable. No request was too large for them to handle. The rooms were clean, well decorated, and inviting. The dining experience was outstanding, as was the food. We gave the hotel short notice about dining with them, not a problem! The chief created a special meal for us. On our last day, we had some car trouble, and wanted help to make some calls to the rental company, the front desk took our paper work and "sorted" it out for us. However, when the manager Martin Page heard of our trouble and the response from the rental company, he personally took charge and in no time we were on our way. Well done! We come to the UK every year and the next time we will be back to the Plas Rhianfa

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Plas R, General Manager at Chateau Rhianfa, responded to this review, October 16, 2013
Dear Mymats,

Thank you for staying at the Chateau and for taking the time to write your lovely review.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

Plas Rhianfa must be one of the best located hotels in the UK with magnificent views over the Menai Straits. A truly fabulous building full of interesting nooks and crannies, with attentive staff and an excellent breakfast. Stay in a suite if possible to make the most of the spectacular views.

Room Tip: Stay in a suite if possible to make the most of the spectacular views
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Plas R, General Manager at Chateau Rhianfa, responded to this review, October 4, 2013
Dear PaulD590,

Thank you for your 5 out of 5 review of your stay at the Chateau. I delighted that you enjoyed your stay and agree with your recommendation that teh Suites are superb.

Look forward to welcoming you back again in due course.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

We have just returned from a weekend stay. Upon arrival we were welcomed by the extremely attentive, friendly staff. Luggage was swiftly taken to the room. We stayed in the Menai Suite. Although the room was tastefully decorated with a gorgeous round bed it didn't have a bath, which i found disappointing.

We originally booked the 'Dining experience' but cancelled it when we realised we would have to spend our 'romantic' evening away sitting on one large table with other diners. Unfortunately this type of dining is not for us and as there are not any alternative dining arrangements we had to get a taxi to a nearby restaurant.

It was also very disappointing that there was not a lunch time menu available. When we arrived (lunchtime) we were hungry but had to leave the beautiful hotel (where we had just arrived and doesn't come cheap) to find a place to eat. Very inconvenient.

I expressed my disappointment to the above to the assistant manager, Craig who was extremely friendly and listened to our concerns. The night porter Paul and the reception staff were excellent.

All in all we had a delightful stay but would only return if the dining options changed.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Plas R, General Manager at Chateau Rhianfa, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Dear Lins34,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review of the Chateau after the weekend.

It is a pleasure to read that you enjoyed your stay, and that you were kind enough to especially mention both Craig and Paul.

The Chateau is very different from a normal hotel, and offers the dining experience which includes the large table that allows our guests to engage in conversation and to relax in each others company. I am sorry that the dining experience did not apeal to you but pleased that you were able to still enjoy your stay.

I hope that we may have the pleasure of welcoming you back in due course.

Martin Page

Been to Chateau Rhianfa? Share your experiences!