“Castle for a princess” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Menai Bridge
Darwen, United Kingdom
“Castle for a princess”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

This night away was booked by my wonderful boyfriend as a surprise. A night away for his princess in a castle was just that. The hotel is an old castle with many little nooks and crannies. We played tennis in the snow, walked down to the river at the front of the castle grounds, played billiards in a traditional games room and sipped champagne in the hot tub whilst relaxing and were even able to see the lights over the river in the dark while we did so.

The bed would have fitted 4 of us, very comfortable with excellent linen, topper and an abundance of pillows. A traditional room with a beautiful crystal lampshade that sent out a subdued lighting, setting a romantic scene. The bathroom was totally modern, which was a huge contrast to the bedroom. Nevertheless, still lovely. Sadly we were not in a superior room, so no bath and no view but it was still enjoyable and relaxing.

Food for dinner was delicious, with some unusual combinations. Not too many choices, but what came was good. French onion soup was the best we had ever tasted. Smoked mackerel was cold, but still very tasty. The salmon was not quite filling enough for my boyfriend, however, my confit of duck a very large portion so enough to satisfy his hunger when I was finished. Cheese board each was our final course with a bottle of rose throughout and we were stuffed full.

Breakfast promised to be good, however, the speed of service was slow for the cooked dishes, welsh breakfasts and we watched ours be escorted round the room by a rather sullen waitress before realising she didn't know where she was going. She returned to the kitchen, only to bring them straight back out. They were missing black pudding and cold. She actually questioned us as to whether we had ordered black pudding; at this time the head waiter butted in and told her to go fetch some. We returned our cold meals, only to wait a good 20 minutes further. We did, however, then receive a fresh cooked breakfast each, which was delicious. We had to ask for more warm toast, but this didn't arrive until our last few mouth fulls, so no dipping :-(

A young waiter called Fran was absolutely delightful, checking on us at all times, topping up juice, tea, coffee, etc. and couldn't do enough for us. For both dinner and breakfast, we ate in the grand banquet room; this was a wonderful paneled, high ceilinged, small hall really, which I believe is where they serve wedding breakfasts. I can imagine that would be very grand.

All in all we had a wonderful time. Our room was 'Nant Bedroom, no.11.' We would like to return to stay in one of the superior rooms with the bath looking out over the river; however, try to get a deal as they are expensive.

For a romantic getaway, you can't go wrong with Plas Rhianfa.

Room Tip: ask for one of the ones with the bath and view not of just walls!!!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Gerwyn M, General Manager at Chateau Rhianfa, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Thank you for your review and feedback. I’m sorry to read that your stay was slightly marred by your breakfast service. I can assure you that this is not our normal standard and I give you my assurance that this will be investigated. On a more positive note, I am pleased to see that you had a great time with us and managed to enjoy some of our facilities including the hot tub. Once again, thank you for your feedback and all points noted.
Gerwyn Morgan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
Liverpool
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

So what do you expect from a 5 star hotel? Great service, good food and attentive staff willing to please. Plas Rhianfa had all of these attributes but also had a lot more to offer.

The location is superb overlooking the Menai Straits. The hotel has been restored to its former glory with countless period features, an attention to detail, many nooks and crannies to explore and with excellent furnishing especially in the reception rooms. So far so good. Our room, the Duchess Suite was also excellent with the added bonus of being able to soak in the bath with a glass of champagne looking over the Menai Straits towards the snow-capped peaks of Snowdonia. It is truly a fabulous place.

So what let's this hotel down?

Although not a serious failing for me personally the hot tub and sauna felt like an afterthought to compete against local spa hotels. Both are uninviting but given the investment made so far in this hotel I am sure this aspect will improve.

The more serious problem however is the noise in the Duchess Suite which sits right below the drawing room and music room. The sound of chatter and high heels on tiled floors above my head until 1:30 in the morning wasn't something I was expecting. This is almost certainly a structural problem in that no-one thought of acoustic insulation in the 1850's, so there is probably little that can be done to fix it. The management however have taken note and have promised to do what they can. As long as this doesn't involve covering the wonderful floors in the music room with carpets then they can do what they wish.

This minor inconvenience shouldn't put you off trying Plas Rhianfa but if you are a light sleeper then maybe the Duchess Suite won't be for you.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Plas R, General Manager at Chateau Rhianfa, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Thank you for your review.

I am pleased to see you had a great time during your recent stay. The Duchess suite a truly an outstanding room with fantastic views overlooking the Menai Strait. I have passed your comments onto our great team. I’m sorry to hear you were disturbed during the night and I will take steps to address this problem. Once again, thank you for all your comments and we look forward to seeing you again very soon.
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

I booked this hotel for a celebration dinner, bed and breakfast overnight stay with friends. There were 5 couples in the party. We arrived in the blizzards and snow and were welcomed by friendly staff and log fires. The rooms were fantastic, really comfortable and with quirky extras such as showers in the turrets etc. I had booked a superior room and was shown to room 2 menai suite on the top floor it had a circular bed and side views to the straights. Due to the exceptional weather conditions the room felt a bit cold. I decided to wait in the sitting room downstairs for it to warm up but without any comment from us the manager decided to upgrade my husband and I to a principle suite room number 9 on a lower floor more sheltered from exceptional winds.That was really special as it had a slipper bath and turret shower it was an amazing room with a really comfortable bed and stunning views. The bar and sitting room areas are very well appointed and the beauty of the house is quite stunning with original wood panels and doors. It has winter and summer balconies off the dining room and sitting room with little hide out rooms in the turrets. The gym and spa are outside and require a walk down some steps so perhaps not that welcoming in such extreme weather conditions.The staff are really happy to show guests around. Our meal was really excellent and I was really pleased that the staff looked after my friends so well.The food was really good, generous and very well presented every course was superb. The dining room is a lovely space with a beautiful fireplace, wood panels and tall cabinet. The coffee was served in the sitting room and the bar stayed open with a night porter - could have stayed up for ages! Next morning the full welsh breakfast was again excellent and again the staff could not have been more helpful. The two young men, both with black hair one with NI accent, were especially attentive on fri eve and sat am and they need a special mention. The grounds were beautiful and we all want to come again. Thanks so much for a special stay.

Room Tip: Dinner bed and breakfast is great value in the classic double rooms. Of these I saw Kate and William...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Gerwyn M, General Manager at Chateau Rhianfa, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
Thank you for taking your time to write your review. First of all, I would like to congratulate you on receiving your MBE…. It was my pleasure to upgrade you on the night in question. I am really pleased that you and your friends had a great stay with us over the weekend. (even though the weather was so wintery).

I read with great pride all of your complimentary comments about the service, staff, food and accommodation and in fact, your whole review is really appreciated. All of your comments have been passed onto our great team and in particular as you requested, Michael and Fran who looked after you for the evening. I know that our staff work really hard to make everyone so welcome at Plas Rhianfa, and it’s really nice when a guest take their time to mention them. Once again, congratulations and we hope you can visit us again in the not too distant future.
Bembridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

Hotel has only been open a short while, and whilst it has a few, small teething problems - we have no doubt it will be amazing as the management seem to address any issues which are being raised. We arrived on a dark, wet, cold evening having had a long drive and were just staying overnight. Slight problem with parking when we arrived, but maintenance work was underway and had been delayed otherwise would not have been an issue.
Hotel is beautiful - lots of quirky rooms, lovely bar areas and good (if small) dining room. Bedroom was well equipped, with great views across the Menai Straits and good bathroom.
We were in Room 7, and the dining room was above us - which wasn't a problem until the next morning when voices/footsteps and music could all be heard clearly from very early morning! Saying that, it's a beautiful old house and was not a major problem for us - and short of soundproofing rooms there isn't much they can do. The views from the bedrooms make up for anything else.
Staff are lovely - the waiting staff (Michael, Fran and others) were very attentive and friendly. I agree with other reviews that the staff are young/inexperienced - however would point out that everyone has to begin somewhere and whilst 'on the job' experience can be learned, the basics of friendliness and willingness often can't - I am sure that as their experience grows, they will become a huge asset to the hotel.
Dinner and wine choices were good and as I'm vegetarian and didn't fancy the main course option, we asked if the chef could prepare something else, which was done without any fuss, was excellent and much appreciated.
After dinner we asked for a tour around the building - which was fabulous. Got to see all the nooks and crannies. Definitely worth asking for.
We were enjoying ourselves and stayed up late - and the night porter (Will) came into his own. Very funny, charming and polite - was friendly without being intrusive, and we really enjoyed our chat with him.
All in all a great stay, would definitely recommend. As we said earlier, a few teething problems which I'm sure will be sorted, staff who will be an asset, and the final bill was extremely good value bearing in mind the whole 'experience' of staying there.
It was also good to see the Manager out/about in the Hotel, checking all was OK.

Room Tip: Room7 is a lovely room and has a great bathroom but I believe other rooms have showers in the turret...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for writing your review about your recent stay with us at Plas Rhianfa.
As you mention, we have had a few small teething problems and these have been or are being addressed. I am sorry to hear your night was disturbed by the sound of footsteps above your room. I will address this with immediate effect. As you mention, we do have a young team at Plas Rhianfa, some have far more experience than others. The more experienced staff always work alongside the not so experienced. As you say, everyone has to start somewhere. I’m sure you’ll agree, that all staff you came into contact with were very attentive, willing, exceptionally polite and will all become a great asset to Plas Rhianfa. I am pleased to hear that you had a great stay with us and I have personally passed on your comments to our great team. Thank you for your review, all points noted and we sincerely hope to see you in the not too distant future.
I really appreciate your feedback, thank you.
General Manager.
Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

I booked this hotel for two nights as an engagement surprise for my Fiancé having told her we were climbing Snowdon and staying in a bunk house. Her face was a picture as we pulled in to Plas Rhianfa!

Having been warmly greeted at reception; we were shown to our room. Due to the occasion, I'd booked room 8 (Duchess Suite) and I certainly wasn't disappointed! I practically heard her jaw hit the floor as the door opened to reveal the huge sleigh bed and bath positioned on a plinth in the window (as opposed to bunk beds and communal showers!).

As we'd arrived late afternoon, just before getting ready for the evening meal we had a wander around the very ample grounds. Despite being mid-winter, they still looked great and plenty of places to explore and get photos. The private beach would be fantastic on a warm day.

Having viewed the menu for the evening meal, we made our way upstairs to the dining room where a drinks order was taken to be enjoyed in any adjacent room prior to the food order. The food was a surprise actually. I'd expected typical ala carte but instead, were met with good sized, tasty and hearty meals which we both enjoyed following a 3 hour drive.

After dinner is where this hotel comes in to it's own. We were shown to one of several 'snugs' in the turrets and brought coffee to relax following the meal. No one else around, just a view looking out over the Menai Straight. We found that due to the huge number of different rooms, it's so easy to loose yourself and get away from every other guest (not that we particularly wanted too as everyone we spoke to was lovely!).

Following a good night's sleep in the sleigh bed, we were up early for breakfast in preparation for the day's walking. Breakfast was again very nice offering a range of cereals, fruit (fresh and dried), juices and of course, a full English (or Welsh!) breakfast. Very nicely cooked with good quality items.

So, tired and wet it was time to try the bath. My other half loved it and couldn't pry her out for over an hour!

During our stay, the staff really could not do enough for us. Every single person working at this hotel is a credit to it. Special mentions to the lovely lady on reception who made us feel very welcome, the man in charge of dinner (and breakfast...and then dinner!) while we were there and also the super friendly and helpful Night Manager. But, this really shouldn't detract from anyone else! They're all brilliant.

The general repair, decoration and upkeep of the hotel is truly brilliant. By far the best I have experienced.

I also thought the overall cost of our stay was incredibly reasonable. Especially as we'd stayed at more expensive hotels which aren't even comparable. Having had a few drinks pre and post-dinner, I'd expected a larger bill and was pleasantly surprised come check out.

Now, a few very minor issues (which were raised during our stay and have probably been rectified by now):

- The heating is always on so this meant a very warm room. Something I'm personally not a fan of. We couldn't keep the window open due to the wind which kept moving the blinds. I eventually found a happy medium of duvet coverage and slept well after.
- Tom Jones; he may be a National Treasure but there's only so much swooning one person can take! A little more variety being played in the background would be great!

Overall, we had such an amazing time which felt very special, as it was supposed to. Plas Rhianfa is most definitely somewhere we will return too next time we're thinking of a break in North Wales/Anglesey.

Room Tip: Rooms 7, 8 & 9 were the best. 8 is right in the middle of the rear elevation and not directly be...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking your time to write your review. I am pleased to see that your Fiancé’ had a great surprise when you arrived at Plas Rhianfa. As with most of our guests, they are totally in awe at this outstanding property. I see that you had your coffee served in one of the turrets; these are really cosy, private and a great place to relax in. I have passed on your comments to our great team and hope that you can join us again very soon. Once again, thank you for your very kind comments.
Bangor, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

Four of us went for Sunday lunch. We all live locally and want to support Anglesey restaurants. However we were very disappointed in the food and restaurant service. The menu is limited and overpriced when compared with menus in similar establishments and the waiting on staff, whilst very pleasant, did not appear to have been trained. For example the table was set very poorly (poor, basic cutlery ) with no jug of water. We were not offered mint sauce with the lamb; on asking for it we were given a small pot that was quickly taken away to another table and we had to ask four times for the soft drinks that had been ordered. The food was not particularly good either. We felt that we had the task of helping the staff. The venue is of course superb. We want to return but not unless we hear that the standard of the restaurant is raised to match visitors' expectations.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Gerwyn M, General Manager at Chateau Rhianfa, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
Thank you for taking your time to write your review. I am disappointed to read your comments about your experience in our dining room, this falls far short if our high standards and am surprised that you did not mention this to management at the time who could have dealt with your concerns. I would be more than happy for you to contact me to discuss your concerns. We would love to see you back with us in the future and if you wuld like to book another Sunday lunch, I would be more than happy to meet with you.
Once again, thank you for your review and look forward to speaking soon.
Kind regards
sheffield uk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

Plas Rhianfa is Amazing. It is a stunning building, architecturally magnificent, and has been refurbished by its new owners, Clarenco, with no expense spared. It will stun you with its appearance outside and in.
Our room (Plas suite) was a birthday treat, and was superb. I can't think of anything wrong with it. Lovely bed, superb views over the Menai Straits, delightful bathroom (shower room) that was lovely and warm, and spotlessly clean throughout..
Dinner was excellent, lovely food & great service from local young staff - friendly and relaxed, and afterwards the best night's sleep ever !
Breakfast was first class and frankly now I am running out of superlatives.
Plas Rhianfa is not cheap, but my goodness, it was worth it. Legendary !

Room Tip: ask for a room facing the Straits. the higher up, the better the views,
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for writing your review. I am really pleased that you had a great time with us and that you enjoyed your experience in our dining room. As you mention in your review, the building is magnificent and no expense has been spared. I have personally passed on your comments to all of our great staff, all of who take great pride in their work, helping to make everyone who stays feel really comfortable. As you say, we are not cheap; however, we are very reasonably priced for the service, quality and comfort we provide, and as you say, worth it .
We look forward to seeing you again in the near future and once again, thank you for your review.
Kind regards

General Manager.

Been to Chateau Rhianfa? Share your experiences!