“Perfection served on a plate” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
wirral
“Perfection served on a plate”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

Thank you to the owners for bringing such a delightful and exquisite dining experience to Anglesey! A great addition and a credit to Menai Bridge.
Three of us dined here on Thursday 25th July and we were extremely impressed with the artistic nature of all the courses served to us and can only imagine the intense planning and preparation which goes into creating each of those courses. We would have paid double the price per head as it was that enjoyable and will certainly book to return.
Never would I have thought I would have tasted (and enjoyed!) banana with fish on the same plate, nor sweetcorn with a dessert!
The restaurant would suit most scenarios, especially business colleagues, couples and friends.
Congratulations and our utmost appreciation to the husband and wife team who are well on target for award after award for their around amazing dining experience.
Thanks again.

95% Recommend
England
“Amazing Food, perfect Ambience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

The review dated 23 July says it all. This restaurant is just PERFECT in every way, food is divine and restaurant is just so quaint and lovely we will definitely be back if we can get in. Need to book ahead

Peterborough, United Kingdom
“Ssh...! this is just between me and you....”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

We had been looking forward to trying Sosban and The Old Butchers restaurant for a while, but as most of our visits to Anglesey and Caernarfon are to visit family and our student daughter, it was often a last minute decision, so there wasn't time to book ahead to get a table.
Not so this time! Oh no, friend...this time we had the perfect excuse to book two months ahead...our daughter's graduation.....and we are so thrilled to have booked our celebration at Sosban! A small restaurant with a big heart!
After an exciting day in this summer's heat, we didn't thnk we we would manage a full dining experience...but somehow we did!
Arriving at the restaurant we found a cool, contemporary exterior and an inviting, tastefully decorated interior, using some of the old tiles and slate from when it was a butcher's shop. Everything was so clean! Sparkling glasses and cutlery, pristine table cloths and the middle table in the room had huge sunflowers!
A couple were already seated, and Bethan was busy, but stopped to welcome us. What a lovely, friendly welcome! Bethan was putting final touches to our table and she apologised for not being quite ready...but I apologised as we were ten minutes early!
I already loved the feel of the place and we hadn't even eaten! Bethan brought over a comprehensive wine list and a carafe of water with a Japanese rock at the bottom...to help purify the water...and Bethan ran through the list of courses we'd be eating.
Now when I rang to book our table, I thought our party was going to include vegetarian eaters, so I had gone through the options with Bethan over the telephone. I am not a huge red meat fan, so I had asked if it was possible to have some chicken on the menu...they duly obliged with one of the courses as a succulent chicken breast with toasted almonds...scrummy!
But before that, we had a delightful amuse bouche of pea soup...tasty, especially with the smoked ham-flavoured brioche. I must admit I was slightly worried about brioche as a bread accompaniment, but it was perfect with the soup!
Pork arrived for the others and I was served the chicken. We all enjoyed each and every bite...tender, tasty and delicious were the words constantly in use! We celebrated in style with a bottle of Champagne too so we were quite spoilt!
A delicious course of cauliflower arrived in the form of various flavoured purées - quite amazing, then a fabulous fish course arrived as our main...succulent cod....! Everything tasted so fresh and each individual item stood out - wonderful!
Homemade sorbet lollipops arrived to cleanse the palate! So cute! Dessert was a beautiful gooseberry dish and again, quite faultless. My husband particularly enjoyed the aged, tawny port and ended up with two glasses..a very light refreshing drink...which we all had a sip of!
All in all, there is nothing to fault here - the place, the ambience, the delightful Bethan, dressed in her butcher's apron, the hidden Stephen (only saw him briefly whilst he flitted about in the kitchen!) the cute sparkly clean loo...just a shame our daughter has finished her degree...it would have been a brilliant excuse to visit here more often!

Bethan and Stephen did themselves very proud indeed and told us they will have a website up and running soon! Congratulations on a fabulous, welcoming, unpretentious restaurant!

Basel
“We will be back!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

We went to Sosban last night and had a very nice meal. The service was excellent with the waitress being very friendly and helpful. The food was the nicest that we have had on Anglesey. The food that we had last night was cooked extremely well and exquisitely presented and considering the quality was extremely good value for money. We had a bottle of Welsh chardonnay which rounded the evening off perfectly. All in all a very, very nice evening and we will be going back!

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Brilliant, just brilliant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

I booked this restaurant based entirely upon tripadvisor reviews while looking for somewhere nice and a bit different for dinner with my parents while on holiday in the area. The entire experience was faultless.

There is currently no website and there is no menu as the chef prepares something different every night using fresh, local produce. When you call to book (which is essential), you are asked for any allergies/dislikes which will be removed from your personal menu. The restaurant itself looks like an artist's studio - very sparse, yet very quirky and fits the overall vibe perfectly.

We had four official courses and additional palate cleansers/little bites of wonder interspersed between. We began with a good, sparkling Welsh rose and a surprise bowl of curried popcorn (odd, yet lovely), this was then followed by another surprise course of pea and anchovy puree which I'm sure was given a better name than this at the time! Don't let the description of any of the dishes put you off; they were all devine. Then the main meal began with a starter of beautifully cooked beef, which even the semi-vegetarian among our group polished off and this was followed by a cauliflower dish which was genuinely the best cauliflower I have ever had and the most creative way of serving a vegetable that I have ever encountered. Subsequently an exquisite piece of halibut with an incredible tomato salsa, strawberry puree lollipops and a deconstructed cheesecake arrived and each plate was returned sparkling clean. We rounded off with coffee, port and pettit fours (which were themselves delicious chocolate, caramel, peanut bites) and left raving about the brilliance of this little restaurant and planning a return trip.

Having eaten at many starred restaurants around the world, I must say that this was some of the best food and one of the best cullinary experiences that I have ever had. The price was amazing for the quality and the imagination of the chef deserves awards. The front of house staff were also brilliant and unreservedly friendly - which is a novelty in a place where the standard is so high!

I wouldn't recommend going with young children as I don't think that they would appreciate it enough and you may get disproving looks from other diners as the restaurant is so small, however I have no doubt that the staff would embrace you even if you did.

Just book now and don't even consider going anywhere else; you won't regret it.

• Visited June 2013