“Strait to the Heart!” 5 of 5 stars

Venice, Italy
“Strait to the Heart!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

Gazelle Hotel

More years ago than I care to remember I was touring Wales with my cousin. We were travelling along the road from Menai to Beaumaris. We had travelled this road a few times and noted a sign pointing down towards The Gazelle Hotel. Early one evening we decided to go and have a look. The Gazelle is on the water's edge with an open space in front,. There appeared to be some sort if open air party going on. Oh let's go up market – reception. I always remember one man in particular. He was in full evening cress complete with black bow tie. In his hand he had glass of champagne. Perhaps not, given the date probably Babycham. Nothing wrong with this but he was wearing a sou'wester. Once again not all that unusual but perhaps he was expecting a storm. But he was not wearing any shoes or socks. This image of the sou'wester wearing man in evening dress and barefoot has always stuck with me and I have always wanted to stay at The Gazelle Hotel. A couple of years ago whilst planning a trip to Anglesey I tried to contact the hotel but no phone was answered and e mails returned. I presumed that they had closed. However when planning a trip this year the website was all singing all dancing. I presumed, quite rightly as it turned out that it had changed hands. So we duly booked a four night stay. The hotel is situated on the water's edge as it was built originally as a ferry house. spectacular views over to Snowdonia and the Menai Straits.
Anglesey, Menai and the Straits is one of my favourite places in the world but I rarely have the chance to visit but this proved to be an exceptional week due mainly to staying in The Gazelle. Our room had a view over the Straits and during our stay I took countless photographs of the changing light and atmosphere over towards the Clywd Hills and Snowdon and the Menai Bridge.
Our room was both comfortable and well-equipped, and spotlessly clean. With such a spectacular view, a chair where one could sit and look out was very welcome, and there was also a shared terrace for the three annex rooms outside
The bar food, though not exactly cheap, is of the highest quality. Both the mussels and the salmon fish cakes can be highly recommended. An added attraction is that Real Ale is served in the bar. Chris and Andrew the proprietors are welcoming, friendly, attentive but not fussy hosts. Many of the customers who use the Gazelle are regulars and always ready to chat as are the friendly staff.
A full Welsh breakfast is served in a pretty room with once again superb views over the Straits.
If you wish to leave you car behind and have a drink in Beaumaris or Menai then there is a very good bus service that stops outside the hotel.
The Gazelle advertises itself as “Great Views Great Food Great Company” That is not some ad man's 'mission statement' as it sums up The Gazelle. Highly, highly recommended.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the Menai Strait: spectacular views and ever-changing light
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
  • Turkish first
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

My husband and I stayed at The Gazelle for 3 nights over a weekend in August. The hotel owner and staff were very welcoming and nothing was too much trouble! It is in a wonderful position overlooking the Menai straits. We stayed in the modern annex room which was clean, comfortable and everything you would expect. We felt very re-freshed after our break!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Worcester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

I had a single room and although fairly clean, the maid left my door unlocked after cleaning so it was open all day. For the price I did not think the standard was that good. The breakfast sausage was cut in half length ways to look like 2 ? The place was so packed on the Saturday I found parking difficult. My room looked out on to a weedy bank, again not reflecting the price I paid. I go to this area often but would not use this hotel again

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Llanfairpwll, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

As my title suggests, we were only there to use the restaurant, therefore i cannot comment on anything else.

Although the food was of an excellent standard, there wasn't enough of anything. A few from our group had the Pork with Apple Sauce and Roast Potatoes.... when it arrived at our table it was 1 slice of pork, 2 roast potatoes and a bit of gravy, on a rather large plate. So we thought 'oh the veg will be coming soon', we were served with 1 bowl of veg to go round 10 of us, there wasn't enough to feed 3 in that bowl. Therefore after going there for a meal, i personally was left rather disappointed with the main in a 3 course meal.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
wales
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

I must say that the room was very nice and the hotel in a beautiful spot. I arrived late and left early so I can't comment on the food.

If you want a room with a view ask for a sea view as the so called 'garden' room backed on the the steps to the upper carpark and didn't really have a view of any gardens as such.

The wifi doesn't work on the upper floors so don't expect to get some work done in your room.

Room Tip: if you want a good view make sure you don't opt for a garden room.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Cardiff, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

What a fantastic location and a really great hotel with staff to match......I stayed with two friends in July 2012 in the three single rooms which were really well presented and very comfortable. On arrival (a very wet evening on our motorbikes - biker friendly hotel) we were greeted by Chris who made us feel extremely welcome and looked after us right from the start of our long weekend break.

We ate in the hotel each night of our stay and enjoyed a well presented and very tasty meal each evening....the sea bass was particularly enjoyable. The breakfast was just the right amount and well cooked – no problem if you wanted more....just ask!

Chris and his team had a great sense of humour which made the evenings a special occasion whilst drinking some of the local ale at the bar...a great place to sit and have a meal or a great place to socialise with new friends....of which we made many during our stay.

The location was fantastic and would be hard to beat; a great place to have a quiet drink or a meal in the restaurant with a superb view.....we thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Gazelle and will definitely visit next time we are on Anglesey.....thank you Chris and Helen, see you next time.

Room Tip: I stayed in the single room 5 which was the better of the three single rooms (5/6/7) - plenty of roo...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Oxford, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2012

A real find. Brilliant views across the straits to Snowdon and to one side the open sea the other the Menai Bridge. Very friendly and helpful staff, great bar, very good breakfast and very comfy rooms and facilities. Hard to see the entrance but worth looking! Great place.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo

Been to Gazelle? Share your experiences!