“HOW CAN YOU GET FISH AND CHIPS WRONG?” 2 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Pub
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Holyhead, United Kingdom
“HOW CAN YOU GET FISH AND CHIPS WRONG?”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

Had lunch with 12 of my friends today. We pre-booked and all paid the requisite £5 deposit. The majority of lunchers had also pre-ordered their meals - mine was fish and chips. A number of lunchers had sandwiches, or soup and sandwich, a few had dishes which would have been prepared in advance - fish bisque, beef stroganoff etc. They all received their lunches and myself and 1 other diner, who had ordered the Pie of the Day were kept waiting for such a long time that several at the table were already finishing their lunches.

When it arrived - the presentation was lovely, on a wooden board and with 'newspaper' printed greaseproof - however the chips were soggy and cold, the fish which looked beautifully battered was swimming in oil and the underside of the batter was still raw. The only edible portion of my meal was the fish inside and the ramekin of mushy peas.

Don't know if they have a new chef - if so, please offer the South African Chef his job back at double his salary. Won't be going there again in a hurry.

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
tafarnybont, Manager at Tafarn Y Bont - The Bridge Inn, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Thank You for your Review!! We are fully aware that we can not please everyone all the time and for this may i appologise.
The South African Chef you mentioned left us 6 years ago, we now have a local team of highly trained Chefs.
Having looked in to your complaint with the team that were working yesterday, when a table check was done at your table by the waiter he was told that everything was fine and when asked again when paying again the answer was everything was lovely and in fact a tip of £10 was left by your table.
We are dedicated to making sure that we maintain a high standard of food and service and we maintain this with our table check and again at Payment, We would have liked to have been told at the time when the sitiation could be rectified, we would have happily exchanged your meal or refunded if as you stated the meal was unedable.
We can at this stage only apologise and hope you will visit us again

“Fantastic little jem!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013 via mobile

It was valentines day and I thought I would take my girlfriend for a little meal, so I called them up earlier and they were fast to respond and also very nice and pleasant on the phone so I arrived there and the manager/batman was at the front to arrive me and took me to my table wich was located near a little warm fireplace and we had a leek and potato soup for starters it's was lovely hot and very tasteful! For my mains I had the welsh black burger the bun was fresh and so was the chips and the mince for the burger, and also the value for the meal was too for food that was all home made to a excellent standard. Overall fantastic and in my opinion the best restraint in Menai bridge! Highly recommend!

Bangor, United Kingdom
“delicious”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

Went with friends from work for a leaving do. The food was great - I had the burger.. totally yummy. Great atmosphere and service. Price of meals is between £9- 22 for a main and has something for everyone.

• Visited February 2013
Thornton Cleveleys, United Kingdom
“Great place to visit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013 via mobile

Been here several times when I return home to Wales to visit family. The same good standards on each visit and the food is always quality with top meat cuts and plenty of local produce. This is a really good restaurant, not the best ive ever been to but its definitely worth visiting and i will no doubt return. Good beers and wines. If there was a fault to find I would say its a bit overpriced but that seems to be the way in Menai Bridge lately where its now acceptable to charge more for food due to the influx of money from those people with posh boats! All in all, a great experience and highly recommended.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Cheste
“I also look forward to eating here”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013 via mobile

When ever I'm in the area this is my first choice of restaurant. There is a good choice of menu with something to suit everyone, the stakes are always cooked to perfection and are served with real home made chips. There is always fresh fish and a nice veggie option. So next time your in the area give it a try.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere