“wedding weekend” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 3 hotels in Menai Bridge
Anglesey
“wedding weekend”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

family wedding held at hotel booked room for 1 night B&B room was very nice could not fault it in anyway its on a bit pricey side also the drinks at the bar were not cheap. Breakfast was ok nothing special i asked for 2 bacon sandwiches and waitress duly served a bacon sandwich cut in half saying heres your 2 sandwiches i was not impressed considering price we paid. It ideal hotel for reps i would say that get expenses but for tourist i very doubt this hotel comes up with the goods.far too expensive.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
, Manager at The Anglesey Arms, responded to this review, July 9, 2012
Firstly I would like to apologise for the mix up with your bacon sandwiches.
My expectations are that you would have received 2 if you ordered 2!

The complimentary breakfasts include options for full cooked breakfast and includes tea coffee, fruit juices and cereal as well as toast are a well loved fine start to the day for most of our customers.

My apologies if you found our prices a bit high, we do our best to price check against all our local competition to ensure we give great value for money not only on our rooms, but also on our food and drink.
Our JWLees Bitter is the cheapest in the area and our Wines are equal to most prices in Menai Bridge.
Our Welsh Black Steaks are cheaper than any I have bought in a pub or restaurant locally!

169 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
caernarfon
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2012

We visited The Anglesey Arms and left very disapointed!! This is not a family place as we felt that the children were very unwelcome. We debated on having the childrens food if the chef had ever seen a child. The staff approched every other customer askin if everything was ok but we were just ignored. following that there was a 15min gap between the children and ourselves desserts coming out i had to go and ask for ours. just to top it all off a small oval white object was found in the childs ice cream.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
, Manager at The Anglesey Arms, responded to this review, July 9, 2012
Thank you for your comments about your experiences.
I am very disaapointed with the service you received on the day,especially as we have just embarked upon a program to improve service.
Ironically the primary focus of the training was to do with Families and children.

We operate a system of service that breaks the restaurant into sections and I will pick up your comments with your server.

I would appreciate the opportunity to speak to you directly should you be available. Please ring me here at any time.

Bristol, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

I stayed at the Anglesey Arms for two nights during a business trip and was quite looking forward to it as I had been told that it had recently been refurbished. Granted, the staff are welcoming and helpful individually, but the place lacks clear leadership and some things just don't get done. Overall, the place looks nice but has quite some faults. I was given a good sized (for a single) bedroom but was astonished by the bed as it had a very small mattress on what was itself a rather small single bed. I am neither big nor extremely tall but not only did my toes stick out over the mattress, turning around at night was impossible, it would have resulted in falling out of the bed. The mattress also had springs sticking out of it so that I could only lie on it with my back.This is simply not what you expect from a place that presents itself like the Anglesey Arms.
The walls are also very thin and the door had a big cleft between the door and the floor and that let in a lot of noise, as well as the noise that was disturbing until far after 11 p.m. Staying in hotels a lot, I don't find sleeping away from my own bed hard, but certainly did on the wonky mattress in the Angleysey Arms.

Breakfast was average, service not attentive though: Asked for green tea, got regular tea with a green tea bag swimming in it, asked for bread at the side, got the poached egg served on the bread. No sugar, butter or marmelade on the table.
The bar also advertises that they serve a homemade bisquit with every cup of tea which is a nice touch but not if you've just seen how a senior waitress clears some tables and puts bisquits from these tables back into the jar....
There was also a fire alarm in the middle of the night, it was a false alarm but nobody explained it or appologized for it in the morning.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
, Manager at The Anglesey Arms, responded to this review, June 30, 2012
I was not aware of an issue regarding any matresses however I have ordered several new ones as a result of your comments here.

The biscuit issue has also been resolved very quickly!!!

Not something that is acceptable!!

Liverpool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

Me and my wife stayed here as a little get away for our 10th Wedding Anniversary.
We got married on Anglesey in June 2002 and wanted to go back there for a little get away from the stress of life and having a young family.
We have eaten here many times before but not since the refurbishment.
We arrived at 1.15pm on a Friday dinner time,just as a funeral was arriving at the Hotel.
Not a great start to our stay but that was no ones fault.
We got a table in the bar area and we ordered drinks and a meal.
We both ordered Cajun Chicken Pasta.It arrived after about 10/15 minutes.
It was absolutely gorgeous.The best pasta I have ever had.My wife really enjoyed it too.
We then checked in to our room.
On first impressions it was clean tidy and cozy.
It had a jacuzzi bath which we both took advantage of during our stay.
I did notice one or two minor things about the room later on.
The plug sockets behind the bedside cabinets were covered in dust.
The cleaner must live by the rule, if the guest can't see it,I won't clean it.
Also the window handle was broken off the window and left on the window ledge.
We did manager to close the window without it and seeing as we stayed in the warmer months of the year it didn't bother us that there was a small draught.
It should have been repaired or reported before we took up occupancy of the room though.
If it had been winter I would have made a complaint about it.
Only small things though, nothing major.
Overall the staff were friendly and helpful.The bar was friendly and cozy.The bed was comfy.
The food was very nice and the location is wonderful for quiet walks beside the Menai Strait.
We would stay again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
, Manager at The Anglesey Arms, responded to this review, June 30, 2012
Thank you for picking up on the cleaning issue.
It has been discussed with house keeping and resolved.

I am very sorry about the window mechanism, we have had it fixed a number of times and are now awaiting a full unit to be delivered from Germany.

cheshire
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

I was made aware from friends that the Anglesey Arms has recently had a make over.. I dont live in the area no more but my wife and I who were recently married abroad wished to share a nice meal and few drinks with my grandparents who could not attend our wedding.

The Anglesey Arms was chosen by my mum and booked at least a week in advance.

To the naked eye the place seemed buzzing, many people out having food, people having drinks and the function room was occupied by what seemed a birthday party. Great.

However, I realise staff may have been busy. But too busy to show us to our table??? C'mon!!
A pointed action with a grunt to a table 20 metres away is not what I call a good first impression or good customer service.

When we found our table - Or should I say tables (two very different styles of table and chairs pushed together to what was supposed to be a table of six) we sat down and made ourselves comfortable.

Within a few minutes a member of the waiting on team handed us our thin/paper/food stained menus. This in common resturant terms is the point where we are asked if we would like any drinks from the bar. This did not happen, so we waited and waited until we finally ordered these ourselves from the bar. No problem. but nothing really clear or expalined to us when we called in. I still wasnt sure whether this was a type of establishment that expected the customer to take a note of their table number and order and pay at the bar?? But behold a member of staff came back and took our orders.

The food, I'm sorry to say was not enjoyable - three of us had the fish, which for me was undercooked, so I did not touch after the first couple of mouthfulls, Which didnt really leave me with much left, as I previously stated that I didnt want mushy peas (no substitute offered). So after that, I only had 4 homeade chips to keep me company. Lets just say a Pizza from Upper Bangor later on the evening was much appreciated.

To be fair My grandad ate his portion but my only explanation for why he ate this may be because my gran has recently put him on a salad diet. Poor man. Others who had other dishes from the menu also didnt enjoy theirs either, which I thought was a disappointing.
It also wasnt cheap and my wife and I who stayed in New York before getting Wed in Cancun compared prices to some of the nice restaurants we ate at, out there and it was pretty much the same price.

On a whole I thought the food and service was poor. I wouldnt eat here again but I would have a drink.

I really do hope the service improves and the food gets better because this appears to be a really nice place. I hope its vibrant atmosphere is not thwarted by silly little things like I have stated and people stop coming here. I hope the Anglesey Arms does well as I think Menai Bridge has been crying out for a place like this for years.
Just iron out the creases and i'm sure it will be just fine.

Thanks

D

, Manager at The Anglesey Arms, responded to this review, June 30, 2012
I am very sorry that the service you received was way below parr.
We have worked hard over the last months to improve this aspect of the business.
I have just returned from holiday and will review again with the team on Monday evening.
Should you wish to discuss this further, please feel free to contact me directly in the Pub.

Bangor, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2012

I have eaten here several times before and the food was very good, which was why we returned.
Granted, the place was very busy with a wedding, but the food was absolutely dreadful. My partner had mussels which were mostly unopened and had to be returned. I had the lamb, which at £15 was at best ordinary and bland. It was served with plain cous cous, tasteless glutinous gravy and very overcooked mediterranean veg.
My daughters was the best with pieces of beef, chips and a salad.
The service was good and the staff friendly and apologetic. Unfortunately i will not be eating here again.

ezza600, Manager at The Anglesey Arms, responded to this review, June 18, 2012
I am very sorry that your meal was not upto standard.
I am especially sorry that one poor visit from your numerous good visits prompts you not to want to return.

I would appreciate a call to discuss the details of your visit as I am struggling to place the incident in my recollection of the weekend.

Thank you for taking the time to review as it gives us feedback to work on.

I look forward to your call.

Holyhead, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2012

Had a bar meal today at the Anglesey Arms. Excellent Service despite a wedding party on at the same time. Waitress attentive and food abs beautiful. Will certainly be returning by far the nicest food on the Island FIRST CLASS!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Been to The Anglesey Arms? Share your experiences!