“A lesson in bad Service...” 1 of 5 stars

The Woburn Hill Hotel
High Street, Cemaes Bay LL67 OHU, Wales   |
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Cemaes Bay
Manchester, United Kingdom
“A lesson in bad Service...”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2014

I recently visited here for a Saturday Evening meal whilst in Cemaes Bay.

Upon arrival there was no greeting just an older gentleman owner who brushed past.The restaurant was very quiet. I approached the bar to ask if there was a table for two. I had to wait for the lady (I think one of the owners) to put her puzzle down before being asked what I wanted. I simply said, we'd like to see a menu.

I had to ask where to sit, or would we be shown to a table. For two menu's. Whether there was a separate wine menu. Could we order a drink at the bar, or was it table service only. I was told to "just sit wherever".

The restaurant through the other side from the bar area was cold. Although the meal prices were reasonable, I honestly couldn't believe the level of service we received. In fact, I wouldn't go as far as calling it service. It culminated in the chef coming out at the end to ask "oh, your STILL eating?!" - before walking away, seemingly frustrated that we hadn't finished.

At the end of an okay plate of food (if I'm being kind), I got up to pay, as no bill was brought out. The male who I presumed was the owner was sat at the bar with a paper. And I'm guessing it was his partner who's TV programme I felt I had to interrupt for the great inconvenience of handing over some of my hard earned money. Needless to say, I would recommend anywhere else in the village over this place. A real shame too, as the waitress was a nice enough lady, and myself and my girlfriend were otherwise having a great time in a great little village. Was it too much to ask to try and treat her to a special evening? Apparently so at the Woburn.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
woburnhill, Owner at The Woburn Hill Hotel, responded to this review, March 29, 2014
Thank you for your review, I apologise if your experience at the Woburn Hill was less than satisfactory. It would seem from your comments that our service was not up to our usual standard on this occasion. I have taken your comments on board and will relay them to all staff members to try and ensure that other customers do not have a similar experience in future,
Should you have mentioned your dissatisfaction whilst on the premises I would have taken steps to address the situation.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Yokohama, Japan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2014

I have read other reviews criticizing the owner’s attitude but I found him to be a personable chap. He left you alone if you wanted to be left alone, and engaged in conversation if that’s what you wanted.
We stayed at the hotel on Christmas Eve and unfortunately didn’t have breakfast, which was included in the price. I saw other people eating just before we booked out and it looked really good.
The room was a bit dated and the shower was a bit temperamental, but the room was clean.
A nice touch was that we were given small Christmas gifts as we left. Thank you for that.
I would stay there again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
woburnhill, Owner at The Woburn Hill Hotel, responded to this review, March 3, 2014
Thank you for your review. We are pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to greeting you in the future. We have taken your comments on board and are giving them our attention, thank you again.
Telford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2014

What not to like?
Ample free parking, friendly owners - but not "in your face", spotlessly clean, good value, comfy bed and a great breakfast.
Polizzi would be hard pushed to find fault.
We hope to return for a longer stay next time.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

woburnhill, Owner at The Woburn Hill Hotel, responded to this review, February 28, 2014
Thank you for your kind review. We are pleased you enjoyed your stay with us at The Woburn Hill and look forward to having the pleasure of your company in the future. We also appreciate the bit about Miss Polizzi.
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014

No problems at all - lovely place, good price and nice breakfast.

Cemaes bay is a beautiful place and this is the nicest hotel there by the looks of it. The restaurant is pretty good too, fresh local sea bass.

Cheers

Stayed January 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

woburnhill, Owner at The Woburn Hill Hotel, responded to this review, January 31, 2014
Thank you for your review. We are pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to seeing you again in the future.
Preston, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

The room was well presented and very clean, the food was exceptional, they even do meals in the evening, it's a 5 minute walk down to the picture perfect little harbour. Would I stay there again? yes and I wouldn't need to think twice about it. Big thumbs up!

Room Tip: There are a couple of local pubs that serve food and are also open longer than the hotel.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
woburnhill, Owner at The Woburn Hill Hotel, responded to this review, November 10, 2013
Thank you for your review, we are pleased that we ticked all the boxes, and look forward to welcoming you in the future.
Birmingham, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

Stopped in the 'penthouse' as it was described - otherwise known as the attic - but I could see the sea from the window. What a beautiful room. Well designed (down to the mirror being positioned perfectly for hair straightening while sitting on the bed!) and beautifully decorated. Couldn't ask for more. Immaculately clean everywhere. Breakfast (included) was great as were the evening meals - great choice. It is the first time I haven't felt at a disadvantage (rather more valued) for being a solo traveller.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
woburnhill, Owner at The Woburn Hill Hotel, responded to this review, September 26, 2013
Thank you for your review, glad we ticked all the boxes and look forward to seeing you again the future.
Cardiff
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

I am giving this Hotel a very low rating due to the bad experience that I had with owner on the telephone. I booked five rooms at the Hotel in October 2012 for the two nights of 29th and 30th of August 2013 for 4 x 15 year old boys and two adults as the boys were playing golf in the Welsh Boys Team Championships at Bull Bay. A couple of weeks before the due date we heard that two of the boys had been selected to represent Wales against England at Oswestry on 31st August/1st September. As we had to be in Oswestry early on 31st August I enquired with the owner if we could cancel the 30th August booking so that we could get nearer to Oswestry. Not unreasonably he said that because it was the height of their holiday season he would not be able to allow it unless he could sell the rooms, and I accepted that. He telephoned me a week before the arrival date to say that he had not been able to sell the rooms and of course I had to accept the fact that we had no alternative but to stay there. On the 28th August I rang him to see if he could also fit in one of the parents of the boys who wanted to make the trip. He said that they were full and then he asked me what we were doing about the 30th August as he had sold one the rooms. I was flabbergasted and could not believe what I was hearing as we were now short of accommodation one day before arrival. I then spoke to the booking agent who duly called the owner and I was told that the owner said that I could cancel the whole booking if I wished. Obviously, this was extremely difficult as accommodation was not easy to find at such short notice, and I told the booking agent not to cancel to see if I could make other arrangements first. As I was not able to I went back to the agent to explain my difficulties and asked them to confirm with the owner that the other rooms were still available. To my disgust I was then told that he had cancelled the entire booking stating an overbooking had been made. At this late stage I was really annoyed by his attitude and with the agent for accepting his reason for the cancellation. I no longer wished to go there now in any case as I could not face the man. I think that he is lucky that he does his bookings through an Agency as his phone manner is appalling.
I am sure that it is a lovely Hotel from the comments made by clients but there are one or two others who have obviously had the same problem with this gentleman and his unhelpful and surly manner. He obviously has a problem with youngsters and it was a good opportunity to get rid of us. Luckily we found an excellent B & B The Sportsman's Lodge a short distance from the golf course.The owners Bob and Heather were superb and treated us as if they were genuinely pleased to have us, and the rooms and food were excellent at half of the price of this Hotel.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your review. An interesting read.

Been to The Woburn Hill Hotel? Share your experiences!