“Excellent Food and Lovely Staff” 5 of 5 stars

The Golden Fleece Inn
Market Square, Tremadog LL49 9RB, Wales   |
Ranked #2 of 5 Tremadog B&B and Inns
Ironbridge Gorge, United Kingdom
“Excellent Food and Lovely Staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

We ate here last Thursday and just "Loved" the whole experience....We had a lovely welcome and the dining room is very spacious. The food was a step up from "Bar Food" ...but reasonably priced. I had the potted Duck to start with which was expertly made. The main dish was a steak and ale pie, which is the best I have eaten in a very long time, served with new potatoes and fresh vegetables. Very friendly and happy servers made the whole experience very memorable....Good Luck to the team here on their new additional venture across the square!!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
goldenfleece1980, Manager at The Golden Fleece Inn, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
Many thanks for your lovely review!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

We were staying in nearby Porthmadog and had searched Tripadvisor beforehand for recommendations of good places to eat. We ventured to the Golden Fleece for lunch on Saturday afternoon. Tremadog is a small village but really has a fantastic pub in The Golden Fleece, it was quite busy when we popped in but we managed to get a table. The bar staff were very friendly and welcoming. I chose some soup for my lunch and when it was arrived it was freshly made and very tasty, my husband opted for the lamb burger and if I am honest wished I had ordered that as the bite I had was really good. My son ordered a pizza and I was pleasantly surprised when it arrived as it was freshly made - even the dough - my son finished it all and said it was very good. The pub also has a more formal dining area that is open in the evening and if we happen to be in the area again would definitely eat there.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
We are really glad you enjoyed your food and the whole experience. We look forwards to welcoming you back.
Wakefield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

We stayed for 1 night last year and had a brilliant time. The rooms were clean and nicely decorated, the atmosphere was fab and the staff were lovely! We spent most of our night enjoying the atmosphere of the pub so we were really pleased when the team were kind enough to let us check out a little later! Thanks for a great stay Steve and Stuart!

• Stayed October 2012
goldenfleece1980, Owner at The Golden Fleece Inn, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Thank you for the lovely review! We hope to see you again soon.
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

As a gigging musician I am used to playing in, let's say, "an assortment" of venues, and each time I am booked I often have to prepare myself for some surprises. So, when booked to play at the Golden Fleece a few years back I did not know what to expect. I can honestly say (and I do say it often) this is the best pub in the world.

Acccommodation

As well as playing to the wonderful locals and friendly travellers, I had the oppportunity to stay in the B&B upstairs. I have now, after the first initial gig here, stayed at the Fleece quite a few times and so have slept in almost all of the rooms. Each room is superb - chic, comfortable and well stocked with tea, coffee and biscuits. The vies from the front of the B&B are incredible and accommodation is cosy. I was delighted to find an iron, mini ironing board and hairdryer in the room too.

Dining

I am a vegan and the owners Steve and Stuart always make an effort to make sure I have a great meal. Stuffed peppers with chips and salad is a favourite. Anyone who has ever travelled with me to the Fleece has always said how amazing the food is.

To the rear of the inn is a contemporary dining area where larger groups can eat.

Ambience

A large open fire crackles in the centre of the pub which is beautifully designed with comfortable seating in inviting nooks and crannies. The staff are friendly and you cant go wrong with the Welsh accent and of course the language itself which everyone speaks here ( as well as English of course).

The Area
This is definitely a place for hikers or those who love the great outdoors. The inn is in the square which also features other restaurants and pubs and a local shop. You are also not too far from other picturesque towns

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the front of the inn to make the most of the views
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
goldenfleece1980, Owner at The Golden Fleece Inn, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Thank you to one of the best singers / musicians I have ever had the pleasure to know! We look forwards to welcoming you back!
Chester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

Excellent serves and very friendly and attentive staff. Food fantastic, superb quality. Can recommend a visit and I will certainly be going back!!:) Traditional cosy pub atmosphere and fantastic restaurant area!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Fabulous so glad you enjoyed your dining experience with us!
We look forwards to welcoming you back!
West Midlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

The staff we encountered at the Golden Fleece were pleasant and the location good. However we don't think that the inn is four star. Our room was above the snug so we could hear the noise from downstairs which meant we couldn't get any sleep until the bar emptied which on our second night was not until after 12pm. That coupled with the very large cleaning truck that turned up at 7am both mornings meant we couldn't even have a lie in. We did ask to move to a quieter room but were told nothing was available. I also requested some feather pillows instead of the very cheap ones on the bed but we ended up with two more cheap pillows to go with the four we already had! Another problem was the very small bathroom which could only be used one at a time. Overall I think the accommodation is basic and not four star.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review us!
Im glad you found all our staff helpful and polite.

I can assure you that our inn is 4 star we have been accredited this by visit wales however I think you may be confusing the rating system for Inn's and hotels as bing the same?

Most of our customers appreciate that when they are staying in a pub there will be some noise form the bar (although most people don't find it a problem as its not to loud, please see other reviews), I presume this is something you hadn't thought about when booking?
We do actually have rooms in the house next door where obviously there is no pub noise, if you do decide to book with us again ask for a room in this building, there are 3 rooms there and a fabulous suite!
Something which I have taken from you review is that I will be specifying the location of each room on our website shortly so customers like you self who do not want to hear any pub noise can choose to request rooms in the adjoining building.
The council road sweeper is not something I can control but I do apologise for it disturbing your lie in.
I apologise that you didn't like the pillows this is something we were about to change in fact over the last week I have been trailing an impressive new bedding product range for our accommodation.
We will shortly be replacing all our duvets with luxury natural wool duvets and pillows which ironically use the organic wool from one of our meat suppliers.

The whole bedding set (pillows, duvet and topper) is made by a local company using local wool which fits in nicely with our ethic of sourcing local produce for the inn.
Being made from wool the duvets are light and thiner than traditional man made fibres or duck / goose down, and the wool has the added advantages of keeping you cool when its hot and warm when its cold its also non allergic!
The bathroom is not large however I have stayed in rooms elsewhere which have and smaller bathrooms, I believe the accommodation we offer is priced fairly and had you have booked a 4 star hotel with the same amenities you would have paid much more, and i'm sure you are aware of this.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

We were a large party of 11 who booked in for a meal at the pub. The staff were initially very helpful as we had arrived an hour early. We were served our food which was nicely presented. However, three of the pizzas we were served had a huge amount of rock salt crystals on them making them inedible. One of our party mentioned it to the waitress to pass on to the chef. We received no apologies and later one of the staff was very rude to a member of our party as they clearly felt that we were complaining without good reason. This spoilt an otherwise nice evening. We had not asked for a discount or alternative meal, so the comment was unnecessary.

• Stayed April 2013
"Fabulous Fabrication"
One thing you are correct about is that you did turn up 1hr early and we did seat you immediately and served you promptly.
Your food was served promptly and the waitress came over to your table on a number of occasions to check weather you needed any drinks, more sauces and also asked the question "are you enjoying your meals?" your party clearly stated that you were all enjoying the meals.

It was not until you all finished your food and we cleared the plates that you asked why there was salt on the pizza.
The waitress did in fact explain that it would have been seasoning and apologised as you were not 100% happy.
On the only pizza that had any thing left on the tray was a a margarita with a few salt flakes (about 6) and your waitress did point this out to the chef.
She then returned to reiterate the apology and inform you that it was the seasoning, but to be fair the lady who brought this up ignored her.
Shortly after your party requested the bills and paid.

It was at this point when one you of you approached the manager who hadn't even been to your table (in fact he had only just arrived on duty) and said "I cant believe you didn't apologise for the salt on the pizza" he tried to reply and tell you he didn't know about the issue, how ever the lady wasn't wanting any sort of reply.
Then came the next line form your party "oh just you wait for the trip advisor review its going to be shocking!" at this point you all sculled out the building.
Had the manager have had the opportunity to speak with you he could have explained that the salt flakes were sea salt and obviously not dissolved during cooking, this is very unusual and I can only apologise for that.
You fail to mention the quality of all the other meals which you all ate in their entirety.

No one was rude to any of your party, if any thing the lady who approached the manager was a little tempestuous!

Been to The Golden Fleece Inn? Share your experiences!