“Luxury without snootiness” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Castell Deudraeth

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Portmeirion
Castell Deudraeth
You added Castell Deudraeth to your Saves list
Portmeirion | Penrhyndeudraeth, Portmeirion LL48 6ER, Wales   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Portmeirion
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Liverpool, England
“Luxury without snootiness”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2011

We originally booked a village room, then decided to upgrade when we saw the pictures (and heard recommendations from relations who had stayed in the Castell). More than we would usually pay, but it was worth every penny. One might expect a room full of gothic horrors in a Victorian mock-castle of this nature, but it was stylish, modern and extremely spacious. The bathroom alone was as big as many hotel rooms we have stayed in. The food was of extremely high quality, beautifully cooked and presented: though we had a dinner/bed and breakfast arrangement, had we been paying separately the menu prices compared very favourably with most city restaurants. Fresh and local ingredients are clearly used wherever possible. We once had a meal in the original Portmeirion hotel many years ago, and though the food was good, the service was starchy and condescending to the point of rudeness. This experience could not have been more different. The staff (receptionists and waiting staff) were unfailingly polite and friendly. It was good to see the Welsh language take pride of place, and although we don't speak the language it was flattering to be addressed in Welsh by the waitress. All this was wonderful enough: add its proximity to the fascinating village of Portmeirion and the beautiful Welsh coast and countryside, and you have the recipe for an ideal break or longer holiday.
Two very minor points of criticism: it would have been good if plain as well as flavoured yogurt had been available at breakfast; and while the living flame gas fire in our room was much appreciated, it would have been more so if clear instructions for lighting it had been in evidence.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
harrogate
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2011

We have stayed at Portmeirion, in the village, for the past two years and have loved it. Decided this year that we would try the Castle. We were disappointed to find that the restaurant was closed on Mondays and Tuesdays (as they "can't get the staff") as we would have liked to have tried it. The room was lovely, can't fault it. Really clean and luxurious, it was amazing. However I couldn't connect to the internet and when I rang reception as instructed on the web page was told that someone would ring me back in two minutes. Thirty minutes later I rang to ask what was happening and was told that they were working on it, although it never did connect.

Walked down to the Hotel for dinner which was a nice well lit walk. The staff at the Hotel were as attentive as ever but the food was not as good as previous years.

The village itself never fails to delight and we will go back, we're just a wee bit concerned that standards may have slipped further.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
wales
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2011

We decided to give the castle one last try as we are local. But it hasn't changed a bit! We were greeted on entry by a very pleasant girl who gave us menus and drinks. The service in the restaurant was different. The waitress arrived with basket of bread announcing that they didn't have any rolls left just slices of plumb bread. It was 7-30 on a Saturday evening and they had ran out of bread! We ordered our meals,which came without any fuss, and were quite nice however I ordered duck for my main course,which when it arrived was very tough although I had asked for it to cooked medium and it looked medium . It was tasteless. The party we were with were treating us so I felt that I couldn't really complain as I wasn't paying the bill. The staff there were not very friendly or trained very well

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
UK
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2011

We have stayed at Portmeirion Village many times and decided to try the Castell for dinner, hoping it had improved from our last visit in September. Unfortunately it hasn't and we won't be bothering again. Although the building itself and the interior are lovely, the staff really let the place down.
In comparision to the Hotel, the Castell is not in the slightest bit welcoming of diners. The staff seem disinterested and cold.

I booked our table in the conservatory 4 months in advance but was given a table in the main restaurant. Eventually, we were given the requested table. The service was poor, we were not offered any bread rolls, we had to ask. We were not asked if we would like more drinks. They served my daughter the wrong meal, we ordered from the children's menu but were served an adult meal which they insisted we pay for. For some reason we were expected to know the difference in the dishes and inform them of their mistake. We eventually compromised and paid a reduced rate- not exactly an ideal evening.

On the whole, we were very disappointed. The food was average, the service poor and the attitude of the staff left a lot to be desired. The management need to look at how the Hotel restaurant is run and take lessons from them, as they have a lot to learn.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
Hoylake, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2011

My wife and I were staying self catering in Portmerion village and decided to have a 'celebratory' meal at the castle. Allow me to say now that I am partially disabled in that I walk badly, but have all my mental faculties.
The meal was OK, not wonderful but OK. At the end of the meal we went through to the bar area for coffee, and whilst there I asked the manager to arrange for the shuttle bus to collect us and take us back to the village also for the bill, Which he said he would do.
Some time later the (I think) assistant manger came to us, turned her back to me, and speaking directly to my wife told her that the bill would be included in the overall bill for the stay.
We were quite shocked at her behaviour and I did say to her (as she walked away) that I am quite capable of understanding when spoken to, only to receive a smirk.
A few moments later the same woman returned and again turned her back on me and told my wife that the bus was ready.
I was shocked, distressed and insulted by this behaviour.
On returning home at the end of the holiday I sent a letter explaining what hat happened and how upset we both were, suggesting that some staff training was needed and a possible apology would be nice, but have never received a reply.
We have stayed in Portmerion almost every year since 1995 as both self caterers and hotel guests and are know by much of the staff, but doubt that we'll return for quite some years if at all.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Harrogate
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2010

I booked a two night break in the Penthouse Suite for my wife's birthday months ago.
Severe snow made our journey from Harrogate to Portmeirion rather slow & testing, and we heaved a great sigh of relief when we arrived at Castell Deudraeth OK.
A fantastic guy from reception (Iolo) guided us up our own slate staircase to the suite - we had the whole third floor to ourselves!
He lit the fire for us & showed us all the facilities, like our gowns & slippers, & the cool features like the whirlpool bath & electronic curtain closers/openers (which our children thought were fantastic) - WOW, what a truly brilliant suite.
We sat on our huge sofa, put our feet up & enjoyed our complimentary sherry ( I normally don't go anywhere near sherry, but this was really good stuff), & unwrapped the locally produced gifts in our complimentary Happy Christmas bag.
We had dinner in the hotel & the service was absolutely first class without being 'in your face', these guys obviously knew exactly what they were doing; the food & wine was up there with the best I have ever tasted - the whole dining experience was excellent.
Breakfast was just as good as dinner - our smoked salmon & scrambled egg was perfect.
We were then offered a complimentary minibus into the village so we could explore for a few hours before making our way back to the Castell.
Before dinner we took the minibus to the village again just so we could walk around the deserted village in the dark; it was simply magical (& extremely cold...) & the snow made everything even more picturesque than normal.
Every single member of staff we met - without exception - were committed, helpful & sincere.
If you are even just considering a trip to stay at Castell Deudraeth then I urge you to do it - you will not be disappointed & will have a truly beatiful memory forever.
Roll on next December...

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Memphis, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2010

I stayed at Portmeirion the first week of November as a holiday for my 45th birthday. This was my first visit and prompted in part due to my interest in the 60's television series The Prisoner, as well as a holiday with my partner, who is English. I can only describe our stay as a fairytale come true. I booked very early in the summer of 2010. As our visit occurred during the off-season, we received a significant discount on the accommodations, as well as inclusive meals. We spent one night in a double room; the remainder were in the penthouse suite.

My partner feared that I might be bored; however, nothing could be farther from the truth. I loved every single second of my visit. Portmeirion is a magical village, seemingly out of time. We often referred to it as our own Brigadoon. For the week we spent there, I didn't have a care in the world. My job and family problems were so far behind me, and much of it was due in part to the EXCELLENT service we received.

We did experience minor problems with two individuals at the desk, though one quickly redeemed herself. Everyone else was absolutely superb. The gentleman at the desk when we arrived on a Sunday was a lively fellow with platinum blond hair. Unfortunately, we never learned his name, but he was always friendly, helpful, and a welcome face following our excursions. During breakfast, we were served by a lovely young lady with dark hair and a sincere smile. Again, we never learned her name, but she is a tremendous asset to hotel. During a visit to Porthmadog, she drove past, waved, and said hello to us, which I found extremely polite of her, considering she was not on duty and had no true obligation to us. I wanted to thank her personally, but did not get the opportunity. I hope she is recognized by management for her contributions, because she was just lovely and so professional.

During the evenings, we had the good fortune to dine in the castle's restaurant. The head waiter Caron is a gem. He organizes his staff so well. The service was absolutely superb. The food was excellent and its delivery prompt and efficient. Our favorite meals were the roast pork and the delicious fillet of beef. Again, I wish that I could have done more to demonstrate my appreciation for the fine restaurant staff. By the way, I must respectfully disagree with another poster who found the desserts lacking. My partner and I tried several different confections, and they were all most delicious. We did not find a single problem with any meal at the castle.

We ate one meal at the village hotel before it closed for renovations. The food was excellent, though I personally found the head waiter to be a bit surly and intimidating. Perhaps he is simply very serious about his job, but to me, he lacked the warmth and good humor of Caron from the castle. The vibe in the village was definitely more formal. The castle restaurant was quite relaxed and a perfect place for sipping cocktails in front of a crackling fire before supper.

Another poster mentioned limited views on the penthouse balcony. I do agree with this; however, the battlements added so much atmosphere. I really wouldn't knock those down just for a view of the water. Personally, I do think the penthouse suite is better suited for the summer. We couldn't really utilize it due to the chilly evenings and dampness, but otherwise, I think it is quite lovely and atmospheric. I also agree that the penthouse bathroom is far smaller than the double rooms, but it's still larger than what one would typically find in English lodgings, and the incredible fireplace in the center of the suite more than compensated for a smaller bath.

I was quite fortunate during my stay. I had been warned that it would probably rain profusely, but I experienced only one day of rain. In addition to hiking through the estate woods, which are breathtaking, we also spent a day in Porthmadog and took the stream engine train on an afternoon excursion. I fell in love with the village, its staff, and the country of Wales. I cannot recommend this place highly enough for a holiday. It saddens me to read other reviews in which visitors were unhappy, because I cannot imagine ever being unhappy in a place that seemingly emerged from a fairytale story.

Thank you all in Portmeirion and Castle Deudaeth for one of the most memorable holidays of my life. I will definitely return!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Castell Deudraeth? Share your experiences!