“IMPRESSIVE” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Penmaenuchaf Hall

You added Penmaenuchaf Hall to your Saves list
Penmaenuchaf Hall
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Penmaenpool, Snowdonia National Park, Dolgellau LL40 1YB, Wales   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Penmaenpool
Southport, United Kingdom
“IMPRESSIVE”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

We had booked this visit through Living Social and prior to arrival had paid for an upgrade transpired it was the Miller room which had a kingsize bed, balcony and two views from the windows as it's on a corner..The scones and cream were superb..
The hotel comprises lots of 'olde world' charm with fine furnishings and features..
The gardens are well kept and a a joy to walk round..
The dining room is well laid out and the food superb, the staff are very attentive and helpful..
To sum up, we would certainly revisit, it's not cheap but you get what you pay for.

Room Tip: Didn't see the other rooms, but would definately suggest the Miller room was worthwhile..
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

Just spent a night in this place and I cannot recommend it too highly. It is in a beautiful area, the countryside of mid Wales is varied and staggeringly beautiful, and the grounds of the hotel are similarly lovely. You could spend a day exploring and enjoying the gardens alone. And then the inside of the building ..... the public areas are very well appointed and very comfortable, but then the rooms are just great. Our room had a roof terrace, a wonderful place for an early evening drink and very private too. The rest of the room was lovely too, with a very comfortable bed, a well stocked mini bar and a fantastic shower too. The service at every point was everything one could want for - prompt and friendly, and very helpful. Nothing seemed too much trouble for any of the staff. The evening meal too was absolutely lovely - well cooked, interesting, great presentation, good quantity and the chef made a real effort to provide and interesting and beautiful meal for vegetarians.
One could run out of superlatives in describing this hotel - try it for yourself. We'll be going again as soon as we can.

Room Tip: We were in the Griffiths room and enjoyed using the roof terrace for an evening drink, but other cou...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Hobart, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

We stayed at Penmaenuchaf Hall on 5th June 2013 the surroundings are stunning the staff were very pleasant and helpful we were not on an offer so we paid full price being £204.00 for a luxury room with balcony and £138.00 for a superior single room for my brother. Upon arrival we had a drink from the bar which we drank in the panelled drawing room we had our bags with us but thought we would have a drink before we went to our rooms that did not go down to well within about 15 minutes the owner came in and insisted our bags be taken to our rooms I had no option but to abandon my drink and go back to my room with the bags a bit pushy I expect we were making the room look untidy. As we had not stopped for lunch I ordered three ham and cheese sandwiches at a cost of £15.00 a bit pricey I thought but pay I did. As my brother had been taken ill we decided to eat in our room total of dinner was £67.50 which I paid for when I ordered. The room was okay not as clean as I would like, something had been spilled on the floor by the bed and not cleaned up the blanket on the bed was torn, fluff on the floor no sugar for making a drink and the room was very hot which luckily we had french doors and two other windows to get some air into the room my brother was not so lucky. The halls were very hot I would suggest some ventilation. Far too many family photos around the public rooms even upstairs on the landings a positive photo gallery it made me feel uncomfortable like an intruder in some ones home not a hotel I expect the owners feel it makes the place feel like home yes their home. We checked out very early and I was called back and told I had not paid for the meal the previous evening I told the owner I had, would she like to see the receipt. No apology for any embarrassment caused I was then told that I had not paid for the newspaper a whole 60 pence! I gave the owner a two pound coin and she went rushing out the back for change which I thought was odd given there was a cash register right behind her until I realised she was going to check that I had in fact paid, not trusting her own staff to have either taken the cash or charged the meal to our room. When I was asked the previous day if I would like newspaper it was not mentioned that it was not complimentary. I have stayed in many hotels My husband and I are from Tasmania and travel extensively we have stayed at the Dart Marina in Dartmouth superb,St Brides in Saundersfoot also superb Oscars in Torquay, have I ever been asked to pay for a newspaper before? NEVER given the prices being charged at Penmaenuchaf Hall it was all a little tacky I think the owners have pretensions of grandeur that just don't hit the mark. This hotel does not offer a fraction of the facilities that similar priced hotels do, no pool, no tennis court, Would we stay there again no thank you it was like saying in a very house proud distance relatives home I think the owners need to rethink and either turn it back into a family home or get over it and let it be a hotel where the guests comfort is the priority this hotel is not child friendly, an average hotel charging top hotel prices, complimentary newspapers are the norm in all the best hotels.

Room Tip: Choose a room with plenty of windows or you will be unable to sleep.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
WALES u.k.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

Spent a weekend here thanks to aTravelzoo Deal and it proved an excellent choice. A small country house hotel tucked in the foothills of Snowdonia and overlooking the Mawddach Estuary. What a beautiful area and we were blessed with wonderful weather.
A warm welcome and we were shown to the Williams Room- one of 14 rooms, all of which, I suspect, are furnished with impeccable taste and well equipped. Minimal view though .Huge comfortable bed, lovely bathroom with bidet as well as bath and shower over. A little dark in the bath so lazing with a good book is a bit limited. Tea, coffee and hot chocolate provided as well as shortbread and a small selection of books. But, downstairs is an expansive library and all sorts of games to boot.
The staff are all friendly and our evening meal( included in the deal) was preceded by canapés in the drawing room. We had a champagne cream on arrival which was just about ok-only 2 scones left for us and some rather stewed tea. It's really not the sort of place where you would want to complain-it's all rather hushed tones and refined if you get my drift. Don't go there if you want a raucous weekend with the girls-I suspect jollies like that would be frowned upon !!
Anyway, the food-we did stick to the Market Menu and it was delicious , particularly the chicken fillet served on mushroom risotto with salsify and the tonka bean cream dessert was a first for me.
Excellent service - the young waitress could not have been more helpful. Breakfast the next morning was a joy-plenty of choice-eggs Benedict, poached haddock, full grill breakfast as well as cereals, fruits, yogurt, ham and cheese- a feast to set you up for the day. The grounds around the hotel are worth exploring, but, don't linger there ! There is so much to see and do in the area- Barmouth, Harlech, Porthmadog, Portmeirion are all very close. But, the high point of our weekend was the RSPB Reserve just outside Porthmadog where you can see the Glaslyn ospreys in all their splendour. An amazing sight to see the nest cam and watch this breeding pair feed their chicks. The RSPB staff are so encyclopaedic in their knowledge and so friendly-it was wonderful!
Penmaenuchaf Hall Hotel is a brilliant base for exploring this stunning area and we would readily return to its haven of tranquility .

Room Tip: Book early if you're travelling on a special deal-we were unable to get the grade room the vouch...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Stockport
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013 via mobile

I got a good deal with a KGB voucher that worked out about half price for dinner, bed and breakfast. Booking was a farce as they refused to accept my voucher on ANY Saturday night although this wasn't mentioned when purchasing. By the time we were able to arrange the time off work to go on a Friday, only the lowest standard of rooms were available so we had to settle with what was left even though my deal included a luxury room and I would have upgraded. Although our room had no view it was reasonably comfortable apart from the curtain not closing properly which made it impossible to prevent light from getting in. I was also asked for a voucher several times but because the hotel had redeemed my voucher code online, I was unable to print it. I ended up complaining to KGB and it was a completely unnecessary hassle.

Other than these issues, the building is a very pleasant country house with a good restaurant. I thoroughly enjoyed my dinner as the food quality, service and presentation were very good. The fairly priced wine list is fantastic but I would have enjoyed a greater selection of premium whiskies at the bar. Given my overall impression, I will not be rushing back, but if you were staying in a higher standard of room and didn't have a nightmare with your booking, you might have a more enjoyable experience.

• Stayed May 2013
Brompton
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

Stayed with a friend in April for 5 days (4 nights)... Was an interesting experience upon arrival to be looked up and down by a receptionist who (eventually) appeared from a little room behind the hall.... our crime - we were wearing jeans!!! (I'm a retired Lieutenant Colonel and I have to admit it made me laugh !!) Booked in - shown to our room which should have been a twin which it was, but the beds were pushed together so we spent a while separating them!! We were then left to bring our own bags to the room - we must have looked like a couple of fit lads because nobody offered to assist and there is no lift!! Not good when you are spending 180 pounds a night on bed and breakfast!!!!

The food was OK nothing spectacular - breakfast was OK and had various choices...some mornings service was quick others not so and for no obvious reason...

Dinner was interesting either the single choice Market Day Menu (£20 or so) or the al a carte (£42 or so)The food was well prepared and presented but again I was looking for the 5 star experience....but nope not there!!!!

The rooms were ok - ours was near the staff entrance so we were treated to the chef et al arriving and turning on the cooking fans and banging about...ummmm - still not 5 star!!!

Room was service daily - and wait; if you had dinner in the hotel dinning room your bed was turned down - chocolate on the pillow and all... We ate out one night and guess what - yep, our beds were not turned down....Nope not 5 star.

On the plus side we did have very nice canapés before dinner ... and it was nice to gather in the main reception room with the other guests...

Decor in what I would call the public rooms was nice and the log fire very warm and welcoming...

Our departure was the same as arrival - struggle down with your own bags... settle up and off you go...

Was the hotel worth the nearly £1000 we paid between us for four nights bed and breakfast and three nights dinner (Market Day Menue) and a drink before dinner and a glass of wine with dinner - definitely not...

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
oswestry
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

Just come back from a lovely peaceful relaxing night at Penmaenuchaf Hall. From the moment we arrived to leaving we could not fault anything.The owners and staff were without exception both helpful and charming,our room delightful and the food on the set market menu delicious,along with breakfast the following morning.Also, the wine list is both imaginative and excellent value for some of the quality on offer.
Regarding other negative comments on this site, I can only assume come from professional moaners and the majority quite rightly, like ourselves,give nothing but credit to this very well run establishment.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Penmaenuchaf Hall? Share your experiences!