“Lovely lunch with the classiest decaf cappuccino!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Penmaenuchaf Hall

Save Saved
You added Penmaenuchaf Hall to your Saves list
Penmaenuchaf Hall
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Penmaenpool, Snowdonia National Park, Dolgellau LL40 1YB, Wales   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Penmaenpool
North Wales, United Kingdom
“Lovely lunch with the classiest decaf cappuccino!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

We didn't stay at the hall but met friends for Sunday lunch. I loved the surroundings inside and out. There is a lovely garden which would be perfect for photos especially a wedding. The inside is as if you have stepped into your own country mansion. It was quiet when we visited due to horrendous weather so we had the place to ourselves with wonderful attentive service. I had a boudin with lentils which was very very tasty and a lovely hot home made brown roll. Followed by Rhug Lamb, very, very hot roast potatoes, baby carrots and very finely cut ratatouille and very very tasty gravy. I managed to take a photo of my starter after about three mouth fulls but couldn't resist the roast lamb and forgot the photo! My friends and hubby stuffed them selves with freshly cooked Chocolate brownie and ice cream. I went for a decaf cappuccino and it was served in the lovliest china cup with a little plate with a home made biscotti, tiny tiny meringue and a wonderful chocolate. Such attention to detail. The dining room is light and airy and all the tables were beautifully set with orchids. I loved the ambience The toilets are immaculate. We spend a week at a walking festival nearby each year and I will be coming back with friends to try the afternoon tea after having had such lovely food.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Wigan, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

We have just returned from a one night break at Penmaenuchaf Hall hotel and we have both had a fantastic, relaxing time. The hotel is set in beautiful grounds that you can wander around at lesiure and the reception rooms inside are cosy and welcoming. To be greeted by a roaring log fire in the hall as we arrived on a dull and wet November afternoon was very welcome. Our room (Ashworth) was spacious, well equipped and nicely furnished. The hotel isn't 'boutique chic' and doesn't pretend to be and that was fine by us.

Our highlight of the trip had to be the food. From the delicious afternoon tea to the homemade canapes to the four course evening meal we couldn't fault anything (breakfast was delicious too). I am known for being picky about hot food, hot plates and hate waiting around for food to be served but everything arrived hot and the service was prompt and efficient throughout the evening. Although not on the menu I was offered sirlion steak as this was my preference and it was the nicest steak I have ever eaten (and I eat a lot of steak!)

The staff were without exception attentive, friendly and polite whilst remaining professional and unobtrusive at all times. We were made to feel very welcome and not just anonymous paying customers.

This is going to be an honest revierw so I must mention that my only niggle was the extra charge for coffee at the end of the meal although we didn't partake I feel that this should be included in the price.

Without a doubt we will be returning hopefully for two nights next time.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Buckinghamshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

Upon entering the grounds of this hotel, you are immediatly impressed as it is set upon the hillside overlooking the river.
We had an extremly spacious suite which i had upgraded from the original booking, it was comfortable, with good size bathroom and lounge area.

We booked dinner in the hotel, which was ok however i agree with some of the previous reviews that it is a little expensive for the quality/quantity/service that the hotel provides.
Breakfast the following day was buffet style plus you could order full welsh cooked if desired.

The weather the weekend we stayed was awful, so we didn't see the hotel & grounds nor the surrounding area at it's best, plus we only stayed one night.

All in all a pleasant hotel

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Essex, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

Beautiful scenic area, a peaceful relaxing stay, the staff are friendly and welcoming. We stayed on a KGB deal here for 2 nights @ £199 with breakfast both mornings,a set dinner menu was included but we decided to pay extra and eat from the a la carte menu (hotel put the equivalant to the set menu towards the final bill). It was worth the extra to have the choice and all the food was exquisite, with a lovely ambience in the restaurant. Breakfast was good here too, the rooms were very comfortable providing good amenities i.e vanity mirror that lights. The gardens here are lovely, they also keep bees here producing honey of which you can buy a pot of. On the second night we ate in Dolgellau town, there are various places to eat here in this lovely quaint town. There is plenty to do around the area also, we went on the Steam train from Festininog to Port Maddog, which was amazing. We also visited King Arthurs Caves which is aimed more for young families but have interesting craft shops and gift shops also. I can recommend staying here, it isn't cheap but you pay for what you get. I found it to be an enjoyable experience.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

This is by far the worst hotel experience that I have ever had. I'd booked the hotel for my parents 60th wedding anniversary prior to my daughter's wedding. The rest of the family had booked into George III but we wanted my parents to have a more luxurious experience. When we visited them they were In great distress because they had been placed in a tiny 2nd floor room. There was no lift and when I complained to the hotel manager his response was that an 80 year old man had recently climbed Cader Idris. As I had already paid for the first night I switched rooms with my parents who stayed in my four poster with beautiful views of the Mawddach, whilst I slept in their claustrophobic, overpriced garret. The next day I said that my parents would not be returning as they were now comfortable in the George III and that we didn't want the room, for the other 2 nights which we had booked. The hotel manager was chillingly cold and uncompromising and still insisted on deducting the money from my account. He implied that the hotel was in financial difficulties and couldn't afford to forgo the payment so I ended up paying £229 for a room which we didn't use. He was adamant that terms and conditions had to be met even though he had provided 2 octaginarians with a second floor room, when I had expressly told the hotel on more than one occasion that they were in their eighties. Because they had let the room on the second night £73 was deducted from £302 owing - but how they arrived at this £73 was never explained.
My advice to anyone is don't stay here. Another couple in our wedding party stayed on the first floor but were also disappointed by the lack of views. The hotel has great potential but is in fact cold, unloved and in my view seriously under-staffed. The location looks promising but our rooms had no views and the narrow winding road up to the hotel is quite daunting

Room Tip: Rooms on 2nd floor are cramped and claustrophobic. Check if room has a view. Also. He k terms and c...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Cheltenham
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

I needed to stay over in Dolgellau as I was away on Business in the area for a couple of days. The Penmaenuchaf Hall Hotel did not disappoint.
It was in a lovely spot with views and walks along the side of the estuary, with a lovely view from my room, which was very comfortable. I booked a table for dinner and found both the service and quality of the food at a very high standard, albeit not cheap, but I don't mind this if the quality is there.
I will be staying again next time in the area.
There isn't a reception as such, but an office behind the check in area

Room Tip: Would be nice for a romantic weekend in Wales
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
West Midlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

Birthday present trip for my friend who was celebrating her special birthday. Wonderful scenery, beautiful gardens and lands; we really liked the building. Thought it very ecletic in taste of furniture, pictures and decor; which added to its charm. Would like to say a big Thank You to the staff we met, at the Hotel. The Afternoon Tea & Scones were fab!. Breakfast & Dinner too. We liked the small attention to details i.e, Teapot napkin holders, butter pots, sweets and fruit in dishes along the corridors, Turning down of sheets in the evening, Canapes before dinner - really lovely they were too!. We did the Mawdaach Walk to Barmouth - what a treat, but would say wear appropriate footwear. Barmouth was so-so but in the grand scheme of things, was okay for a chance to see beach and sea. The walk was awash with beautiful scenery, plant life/flowers, water and birds. A treat for photographers. The only drawback is getting back to Hotel from Barmouth. Check out buses or have a taxi number to hand. We ended up in BALA .......... yes Bala. All in all a wonderful 2 day adventure that was fab! Would recommend to our friends. We really enjoyed the break and had a blast

Room Tip: Ashworth on the side was lovely, large room and bathroom, overlooked fallow garden, beautiful scene...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Penmaenuchaf Hall? Share your experiences!