“A true home-stay in a cottage” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Pen Y Gwryd Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Nant Gwynant
Pen Y Gwryd Hotel
You added Pen Y Gwryd Hotel to your Saves list
Junction of A498 and A4086 | Snowdonia National Park, Nant Gwynant, Snowdonia National Park LL55 4NT, Wales   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Nant Gwynant
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Hong Kong
“A true home-stay in a cottage”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

I decided to stay at the PYG hotel as it was close to the trails which lead up to Snowdon, but will also give me the experience of staying in a "cottage", and not at another hostel. It was truly a pleasant experience. I showed up at PYG without a reservation, and the owner promptly got me a single room.

Room: It is small but clean and very comfortable. I had a window which faces the road and also Moel Siabod, which was lovely. There is a small wash basin, a small desk and a clothes cabinet in the room. All single rooms are NOT ensuite so I had to use the toilets and bathroom down the hall. While it initially sounded inconvenient, it was actually not a big deal as there were so few guests that I felt I had the whole floor to myself. The large bathroom at the end of the hall is amazingly done up - it felt like I was living in the Victorian times. The bathtub is large and quaint-looking. A very gorgeous bathroom indeed.

Service: Warm and friendly. Very accommodating. As I wanted to do a very early morning run/hike up to Snowdon, I had to miss breakfast (included in the room rate). (Breakfast is served at 8:00 - 9:00am). However the hotel owner said I could help myself to the toast and cereal, as well as coffee/tea in the kitchen when I wake up early in the morning. I was happy with the arrangement.
After my run I decided to have tea and a slice of carrot cake before I leave for London, but the staff did not charge me for it as they said I missed the full English breakfast! How very sweet of them.

Meals: When booking the room, you can either opt for a rate with dinner or not. I did not take the meal option as I read other reviews here that the vegetarian option isn't great. I drove to Capel Curig within 10 minutes and there were plenty of choices. I had a meal at Plas y Brennin as I did a course there the weekend before and liked the food.

Others: There is free WiFi in the games room. There is a fireplace, a billard table, and a desktop PC to use if you didn't bring your laptop. Apparently there is a jacuzzi in the backyard but I did not use it. I had tea and carrot cake at the front of the hotel - it was amazing to bask in the sun with the moutains of Wales as the backdrop.

The cons: bathroom not ensuite (but as mentioned above, it's a minor incovenience), floorboards are creaky, there are no electrical sockets in the room to charge my phone, breakfast time is fixed (but again, as mentioned, the owner is very accommodating).

Summary: Stay at the PYG! It's a lovely experience, and one that is steeped in history. It is not the cheapest option but certainly one of the best options.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Little wratting
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2012

If you are happy to go back in time and be treated how it used to be, then this is the place for you. We found a very warm welcome when we arrived with two kids and a dog. The rooms were warm and clean. Need to be aware that there are no ensure toilets or bathrooms but there are plenty to go round. Next time we will try out the Victorian working shower! Lots of open fires downstairs and a games room, including pool table for the kids. Dinner came as a three or five course dinner and was lovely and served properly, very well presented using regional produce. Coffee served in the resident's lounge and a good selection of wines, beers and spirits. Breakfast again was served just as it should be and again featured local produce. Lots of choice including haddock, kippers and full Welsh breakfast. You can have a pack lunch made up and then you are ready to tackle the hills. It is a long time since I have stayed in a hotel or guest house where I have seen such a friendliness and genuine interest in our hosts. I would definelty return and recommend this hotel for others.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Sawbridgeworth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2012

Stayed here over a weekend with a small group of people; the first time I have stayed here. Welcoming staff, and a comfortable room - no televisions in any rooms (but this is a bonus when staying here).

Evening meal is a bit limited (vegetarians do not seem to get the best deal) but what is on offer is well cooked. Local beers are served plus some good homemade mulled wine which is ideal at this time.

Best bit is the atmosphere - open fires, wood panelled rooms, and lots of climbing memorabila, including the signatures of a number of famous and not so famous climbers.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2012

As I was also with the party of 14 or so Iwould agree with the previous reviewer, great for a couple of nights not sure if i could stay longer, fantastic for walkers. Food good quality. Would stay again.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2012

We can see why people criticise the "PYG", but we still love it. We have just got back from celebrating a friend's 50th birthday. There were something like 14 of us, and we couldn't have been made more welcome. The staff were terrific, and really made our stay. I stayed at the Pen-Y-Gwryd with my father a few years ago, and would have to say that the atmosphere has improved a lot since then. The formality which has always been a feature of the Pen-Y-Gwryd seems to have been relaxed slightly, as a consequence of which the staff interact more with the guests and seem to be happier in their work.

The Pen-Y-Gwryd has atmosphere in spades. Everywhere you look, there's history: the Everest memorabilia, the climbers' signatures on the ceiling, the graffiti on the dining room windows (someone scratched his name into a window pane 130+ years ago!). It's a lovely place to sit and chat, and the hotel has several little rooms, all with distinct character. The separate residents' lounge is warm and cosy. I have no sympathy with anyone just popping in for a drink, and whinging about being denied access to the residents' lounge. The manager made us up a lovely big fire in the lounge after dinner. The absence of a lot of modern technology at the Pen-Y-Gwryd is so very relaxing- there are no distractions, so relaxation is an imperative.

The hotel serves Mws Piws Cwrw Glasyn, Wales' best real ale. There are no fruit machines or tacky posters. People should not complain about what the Pen-Y-Gwryd lacks, they should appreciate what it has, and what has been preserved. The dining room is very stylish, and starched tablecloths and silver service add a touch of retro. grace. So, too do the waitresses in their traditional black uniforms.

The Pen-Y-Gwryd is in a stunning position, right beneath Snowdon.

The rooms are deliberately old fashioned, but are clean. The beds are comfortable and beautifully made up. There is a drying room, a modern shower room, and 2 gorgeous Edwardian baths, one of which is like a Jules Verne/ Phileas Fogg contraption. There is a sauna in the grounds, and a plunge pool, fed by a mountain stream. One of my friends jumped in, twice, in January, in the pitch black, in between saunas.

So the Pen-Y-Gwryd is a bit expensive. So it's very old fashioned. So dinner is served at 7:30- ON THE DOT. So what. It's unique, atmospheric, has delightful staff, and it is a romantic treat for anyone with a nostalgic inclination and a respect for history.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Llandudno, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2012

My wife and I arrived in hotel for a drink Friday lunch.Bar areas completely empty.Bought 2 drinks and tried to sit in lounge area.Was told brusquely that that area was reserved for residents only. and we had to go on uncomfortable wooden seats.No other person was in any part of the bar or lounge.NOT very welcoming!!We drank and left and will NOT be returning.

Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
proreview, Owner at Pen Y Gwryd Hotel, responded to this review, January 24, 2012
At the Pen Y Gwryd Hotel we do provide a bar service and food at lunch but do ask that members of the public that are not staying in the Hotel stay out of the areas specially provided to our guests and instead to sit in one of the many other comfortable and atmospheric rooms that surround the bar all with real fires!, We are sorry if this comes across as poor service to some but as a Hotel,
our priority is to our guests and insuring that they have an available and private room to relax in at the end of a good day on the hills.
Bengaluru (Bangalore), India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2012

Resting for the night at this scenic property while preparing to climb up to the mount snowdon, the highest peak in snowdonnia, North Wales, reminds you of the practice/preparation Sir Edmind Hilary did before his conquest of the World's highest peak, the Mount Everest. The hotel has gorgeous views of the snowdon,delicious four course meals apart from the full service breakfast included in the very reasonable cost of the stay.
Highly recommended as a base to explore the beautiful Welsh countryside.

Room Tip: A double room with a view of the snowdon from the Window