“Pregos....great food, good value and good service. Be sure to try the bread!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Bistro Prego

Cuisines: Italian, Contemporary, Welsh
Good for: Families with children, Romance, Doing business, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Sydney, Australia
“Pregos....great food, good value and good service. Be sure to try the bread!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

My brother and I had a delicious meal in Pregos at the weekend at th first time of trying. We were made to feel very welcome from the word go. The menu was delightful with a good selection of fish, meat and pasta. However the highlight of the evening was the freshly baked bread...simply delicious!

Although the restaurant was quiet, I have no doubt the staff would have been looking after our every need no matter how busy...very helpful.

I highly recommend Pregos. Good food, good value and good service.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Monmouth, United Kingdom
“Twice in a week was once too many”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

Have been several times before and always found the  atmosphere chilly and the service poor but a friend likes it.  This time, it was a large group booking and the acoustics made it impossible to converse. The 3 course meal which we had to select in advance was really poor - excellent soup but all downhill from there.  The main was a pheasants leg in a transparent stock  (no-one could call it a casserole) on a pile of mash that looked like it had been thrown at the plate from the other side of the kitchen.  When I asked if there were vegetables coming I got a blunt "No".  My semi freddo was a cloying slab of congealing mousse - not even chilled.

2 days later I was offered the same set menu (again we were asked to choose in advance although this time it was only 9 of us). On arrival I discovered it was possible to choose from the al a carte but when I asked to change from the set meal I was refused - despite there being only a handful of diners in. The service and the food were better than the first meal but even so I would recommend the Inn at Penallt instead - its worth the 10 minute drive.

• Visited December 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Monmouth, United Kingdom
“Great food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

Hadn't been here for a very long time and was well worth the wait. The menu, food and service was great. Staff very helpful with great recommendations and knowledge of the menu.

Visited November 2012
Tredegar, Wales, United Kingdom
“Perfect Prego!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

Tucked away in a quaint little side street in the charming town of Monmouth, what a little Welsh Gem. Stephen Robins, proprieter and head chef, gives the personal touch to any visit, making it a warm and friendly experience. Careing and approachable staff cater to your every need with a smile and just the right amount of friendly banter. The food is of the highest quality and cooked to perfection. Scourcing local, seasonal, fresh produce means the menu can change every few days, providing an interesting variety of dishes.
If your looking for somewhere special, with a homely but professional approach, then this is not to be missed. Oh, and the Parsnip Chips are highly recommended!!

• Visited November 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Swindon, United Kingdom
“Excellent steak”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

We liked the decor - bare brick walls, simple wall lights, wooden floors.

The tables are all set with a glass containing bread sticks. These are put on the tables after breakfast - we watched the staff whilst we were finishing our breakfast one morning. This probably explained why two of ours were dried out and completely inedible - much too hard to bite.

We all chose the local steak which was delicious and cooked exactly as we'd each requested. We were slightly disappointed to find it was served with rocket and parmesan salad as we'd ordered this separately as a side dish. We'd have chosen something else as a side had we known. The chips were good.

We had a very nice bottle of red wine at a reasonable price.

Desserts were excellent. The chocolate cake was amazing. We had lattes in the lounge. The staff were all very friendly and efficient.

I particularly liked that the menus were printed that day, just for that day, so they were clean and professional in appearance. I hate those tatty, grubby, plastic menus so many places have. I imagine they change the menu daily although can't confirm this as we only had dinner once during our stay.

• Visited September 2012