“Really liked this place” 4 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Inn   |   7 Church Street, Monmouth NP25 3BX, Wales   |
Ranked #8 of 21 Monmouth B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Boston, MA
“Really liked this place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

We liked Bistro Prego a lot. Our room on the front was bright and clean, with plenty of hot water and water pressure. We stayed two nights while walking Offa's Dyke Path, and the second night we arrived very wet. The door leads right into the restaurant, and so we took off our muddy boots and walked through the restaurant. Maybe the hotel entrance should be the door in the back so that the mud could be contained. I do agree that the corridors need a timed light that has a lighted switch so it can be located. The room was quiet until the street sweepers came through early in the morning, but that was not much of a problem.

The restaurant is terrific; we wound up eating there two nights even though we had planned to try somewhere else. The lamb, duck, beef, pasta, and fish dishes were all great, and the chocolate nemesis was delicious. For the quality it was good value, with a good wine list, even at the less expensive end. And you get a discount on the food if you are staying at the hotel. The breakfast was also excellent--finally some good sausages--with lots of variety.. If you are walking you can get good sandwiches across the street at No. 18.

Room Tip: Rooms in the front look over the street, which is lively and fun. Rooms in the back have nice count...
Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Bishops Stortford, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

My self and friends have stayed here twice now on trips on The Forest of Dean for mountain biking. We would all highly recommend it. It is a really good price, right in the centre of town. It has a large council car par out the back. The breakfast was amazing and they even had storage inside for the mountain bikes. We will defiantly by staying here again next time we go.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012 via mobile

I recently stayed for 3 nights at Bistro Prego and am pleased to say that I couldn't fault my stay. On arrival I had a very warm welcome from the staff who were extremely helpful, one of the girls offered to take my bags to my room for me - nowhere these days do that and if you dare ask them they are never happy to help. Ok so there are a few stairs to walk up, but you'd expect that in a B&B above a restaurant! My room is more than lovely, obviously recently redecorated, clean bed linen, fresh towels, kettle, tea and coffee, even bottles of water, which are replaced each day as well! Glad to see a nice clean bathroom with plenty of soap etc. Had peaceful nights sleep each night and the breakfast in the mornings was lovely! Cereal, toast, fully cooked and plenty of coffee. This place is fabulous, I'd definitely stay here again without a doubt. A bargain at £45 a night. Keep up the work guys!

• Stayed September 2012
Colchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

Stayed here with a colleague as we had a meeting and this seemed the closest place within our budget. From the outside the place looks great, totally in keeping with the classic continental styling of the surrounding buildings and pedestrianised cobbled streets.

We checked in at around 8.30 and couldn't get a table in the restaurant as they only have a sitting until 10pm, and having driven across from Essex obviously we wanted to get changed first and stretch out for a bit. Nevermind, Monmouth town has a few pubs and a pizza express to eat in, plus its a very interesting place to look around. We were given directions to the rooms and to be honest the maze to get to them was absolutely shocking. Lots of narrow corridors, narrow staircases and doors. To make matters worse it was pitch black with no emergency lighting or main lighting. This in itself was incredibly dangerous as a lot of the cross corridor doors have different floor levels on each side. If you are in any way unsteady on your feet I would advise against staying. My room was right on the top floor at the front. It was a good size, but was quite dingy and badly lit. The room had been recently decorated very badly, and the bathroom was verging on being disgusting, with mould in the shower and thick dust everywhere. The bedding was clean, but smelt musty. Didn't have a fantastic nights sleep, and from 6am onwards it was quite noisy outside. The floors creak very badly as well so I could hear people on other floors moving around.

So on the whole, if its for one night and you are on a budget its fine. Breakfast the following morning was very good, and I'm sure the restaurant is lovely. I don't plan on staying again though.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Swindon, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

When you arrive in Monmouth head to the Glendower car park. The hotel is at the highest point of the car park. You have to pay between 09:00 and 17:00 Mon to Sat but evenings and Sundays are free. We paid GBP 2.80 to park 5 hours.

We stayed two nights and ate in the restaurant on the Friday evening.

We checked in at the same time as the friend we were travelling with. My husband and I were given a tiny room at the back whilst our friend, who was on his own, was given a much bigger family room with a larger double, as well as a single, bed at the front of the property. I don't know why hotels don't apply common sense when assigning rooms in situations like this. I had specifically asked when making the reservation for a larger room/bed if one was available. Of course I should have double-checked when we arrived but regrettably didn't. By the time we realised it was too late to swap. To cap it all our friend was only charged GBP 45 per night whilst we were charged GBP 65. Even allowing for an extra breakfast for us this seemed too expensive for such a small room - only one person could move around at any one time.

The decor in the public areas was modern and attractive with four red leather armchairs, a brown leather sofa and padded bar stools with high tables in the lounge. The bedroom decor was very old-fashioned though with hideous wallpaper. Unfortunately the whole place had a stale smell about it, the same smell I've encountered in old pubs in Devon, especially in the staircase and corridors on the upper levels. The rooms weren't as clean as they might have been. The lounge and restaurant were clean enough though and comfortable. Dinner was excellent (except for the rock-hard bread sticks) and proper lattes were served in the lounge. The staff were all very friendly.

We couldn't fully open the window in our room. It was stuck open about half a centimetre and wouldn't budge in either direction. This wasn't a great problem in September but would have been a few weeks earlier when the weather was much warmer. The bathroom was equipped with a moveable shower over the bath tub and the water pressure was good. The bathroom had small patches of mould growing in the corners. The shower and basin both had liquid soap dispensers rather than wrapped bars of soap or sealed shampoo/shower gel etc which I'd have preferred. We didn't receive any fresh towels when our room was serviced. There were two small bottles of water on arrival which we appreciated - these weren't replaced when used. There were no tissues in either the bathroom or the bedroom.

Our room was quiet although our friend was disturbed by late night revellers walking along Church St until the early hours.

Breakfast was a little disappointing comprising help yourself cereals and juice and cooked to order hot breakfast. We didn't see any fruit, yogurts, pastries, bread or cold cuts. The full English was nicely cooked though and arrived with some toast. The coffee was freshly made on the first morning but had been standing around for some time on the second.

We selected this accommodation largely because it seemed to have the best restaurant in town. There was another property closer to where we needed to be for the event we were attending but this had appalling reviews so I think we made the right choice between the two. I probably won't have occasion to visit Monmouth again but, if I did, I think I would try to find a third option.

Monmouth isn't a very exciting town but don't miss the bridge at the South end of the main street. It's the oldest mediaeval bridge in Britain.

Room Tip: Room overlooking the car park are quieter. Room 6 is a large room but it's on the noisy side.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Coleshill
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

My wife and I stayed here overnight in August. B and B was quite cheap so I was a little worried about what we might find! We needn't have worried. Yes the room was tiny but it was. Nice and clean with the usual facilities of TV and tea making equipment. The breakfast was absolutely fine so no complaints there. The big advantage of this place is that it's right in the centre of Monmouth so within walking distance of local pubs and restaurants. We didn't eat in the restaurant at the Bistro because we had a prior appointment but the menus looked tasty. Give this place a go if you want a cheap, convenient pla ce to stay in Monmouth

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
blackpo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

Stayed here for 1 night nearing the end of the Offa's Dyke path. An ideal location as it is right on the route and near a number of restaurants and pubs. The accommodation though is a bit of a let down. The rooms are small and in need of renovation which made them look a bit grubby. Also they are not easy to access with a large bag and after a long days walking.
We decided to eat in the Restaurant and the food was very good if at the higher range of the price market. Beer was a bit expensive at £4.50 for a pint of peroni. Also the breakfast the following morning was one of the better during our 12 days walking. Overall, a good place to stay that with a bit of investment on the rooms could be exceptional.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to Bistro Prego? Share your experiences!