“A gem hidden in the monmouthshire countryside” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 44 Restaurants in Monmouth
Cuisines: European, British
Good for: Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Jackie & Andrew offer you a very warm welcome to their 18c Country Inn and Restaurant serving the very best in welsh & local produce. The Inn was named AA pub of the year for Wales in 2013, has two AA rosettes and featured in both The Michelin Guide to eating Out & Hardens Restaurant guide 2014.
rural glos.
“A gem hidden in the monmouthshire countryside”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

Birthday supper in this most welcoming pub/restaurant in a small village high on the Trellech plateau between the Usk and the Wye with lovely views across to the high ground on the other side of the Wye valley. Andy and Jackie are extremely welcoming and the Chef Peter's food is superb. Brilliant tastes, local food sources used and an imaginative and sensibly limited menu. Excellent scallops and beef carpaccio to start, then superb rack of lamb and apple beignets. Wye valley brewery beers and a wine list to suit all tastes and budgets with a very helpful wine wheel to guide your choice if you want advice to match food and wine. well spaced tables, conservatory area, bar and a more formal restaurant area. The locals use it and it can get busy so consider booking. Kate Humble stars occasionally and there are plenty of other events. the owners sensibly give themselves 48hrs off from Sunday 5pm until Tues evening so don't go when it's closed!!

• Visited July 2013

Monmouth, United Kingdom
“Consistently excellent!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

We live in Penallt and dine at the Inn regularly. The owners, Andrew and Jackie, bought our local pub three years ago and have transformed it into as good a restaurant/pub as we have enjoyed anywhere.

The atmosphere is always welcoming, the service is very friendly, the view is beautiful and the food is exceptional, using local produce wherever possible.

The Inn is well worth a visit - we are fortunate to have it on our doorstep.

• Visited July 2013
Monmouth, United Kingdom
“Good food, beautiful views and a place looking to be even better”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

In the area we recently lost the Crown at Whitebrook, thankfully we have the Inn near by that is seeking to be simply the best food place in Wales. The food is of a high quality, I went with my wife for the lunch. £20 for 3 course lunch. I had goats cheese with beetroot which was wonderfully light with good flavours. For my main I had pork which is not my favourite meat but is was really high standard with the meat crumbling in the mouth. For desert, sticky toffee pudding and pancetta white chocolate shared with my wife. Coming soon Kate Humble one night menu and with pub of year for Wales this is a place that will not stop until its number 1.

Monmouth
“NO WELCOME ON THE HILLSIDE”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

No Welcome here. You always assume that an award winning pub will be a cosy welcoming place, catering for all. Not on a Thursday night it isn't if you dont fit the customer profile. I had just been on a walk with a group of friends in the Wye valley and wanted something quick and comforting to sate my hunger. Unfortunately the inn only caters for those who want something gasto-ised meals such Fag ots as at nearly £14 a portion! I just wanted something simple and quick, like cod and chips and a pint for instance or even a hearty sandwich. It was not to be. I was told I could have a bag of crisps or something from the menu. I drank my drink and left.
There wasn't a welcome when I went in. At one table 3 people were using laptops but otherwise the pub was empty.it appears they do provide pie and chips or something similar, but only on Wednesdays and tough luck on Thursday. This is the second time I've visited this hostelry in the past few months and found the service wanting. There won't be a third!

• Visited May 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
innpenallt, Owner at The Inn at Penallt, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Dear Tony, many thanks for visiting us I am so sorry we were unable to meet your needs at the end of your walk.

I realise from speaking with you on the evening that you were annoyed that having ordered a half pint of ale you were unable to pay be credit card, this was in no way meant to be taken as poor service unfortunately the harsh costs of processing card transactions means that we have had to introduce a £10 minimum spend on credit card purchases.

In putting together our menus Jackie and I are committed to purchasing quality fresh local ingredients, often from small independent producers & suppliers, preparing all our food in our kitchen - we bake our own bread, churn our own butter and make all our own ice creams, and cooking to order, not from any wish to “gastroise “ our menu but because we genuinely believe that quality and provenance are important.

We are very conscious that not every one who visits us wishes to eat or if they do may only require a snack. Our menu contains a list of snacks, chips, garlic bread, soups, cheese boards, home baked breads, oils and dips etc. We are also happy to amend or adapt any of our dishes to suit customers tastes, unfortunately what we can’t do, as was requested is rustle up a quick lasagne or curry from the deep freeze because we simply don’t carry those items.

I am genuinely sorry that we were unable to met your requirements and thank you for visiting us,

kind regards Andrew
San Francisco
“Exceptional food, service and overall dining experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

Celebrated my birthday after a 10 mile hike along the Wye Valley Way with a fabulous meal here. We had the smoked and gravalox salmon starter and the scallop starter. Then we had the rack of lamb and Beef Wellington. We finished with sticky hot toffee pudding with warmed caramel sauce and ice cream. All ingredients are house made, locally sourced, beautifully presented and delicious. Thank you to the owner, Andrew, the chef and the server, Sally.

• Visited May 2013