“Fantastic!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 33 Dolgellau B&B and Inns
Basking Ridge, New Jersey
“Fantastic!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2012 via mobile

I have stayed all over the world from campsites to 5 star all inclusives in the Caribbean but I have never enjoyed a night away as much as I did last weekend at Bryn Mair House. After a great day walking on Cadair Idris my wife and I were greated by Jan and were soon sat in the lovely guest lounge enjoying a big pot of tea, fresh coffee and home made welsh cakes! Jan's welcome and enthusiasm is infectious! The ambience is just perfect, lovely decor, a stereo to use in the guest lounge, antique telescope for viewing the mountains, coal fire lit, great views, newspaper and a pile of interesting books and magazines to flick through.
Our bedroom was fantastic - crisp sheets, spotless, tasteful decor, dressing gowns.... we had plumped for the largest room with a seperate private bathroom across the landing with a seperate shower and roll top bath. In a fridge hidden on the landing Jan (or Pete) had put us fresh milk and bottled water and had left enough room for us to chill our wine which we enjoyed later in the lounge after a meal out in town.
Breakfast was cooked fresh and at a time to suit us so we had a lazy lie in as we were kid free for the weekend! And what a breakfast - fresh fruit salad, greek yoghurt, fruit yoghurts, jugs of juices, cereals, local Snowdonia honey, preserves, and a cooked breakfast as good as I have ever eaten - and I've eaten plenty! Local sausages and dry cure bacon complimented with tomatoes, eggs any style, mushrooms, etc etc.
Then, a fresh flask of tea for us to take on another walk on Sunday - the lovely Precipice Walk as recommended by Jan and Pete.
Our first visit but 100% not our last, if only everywhere we stayed could match here for welcome, cleanliness, ambience, decor, thought (fresh milk, corksrew in room, newspaper....).

Bravo Pete and Jan!

• Stayed January 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2011

We stayed here for three nights in October. From the minute we arrived everything was fantastic. Delicious homemade afternoon tea, beautiful luxurious bedroom and en-suite wet room and wonderful views. Jan and Pete couldn't have been more helpful and we were really looked after. We have paid far more at other b&b's for not a fraction of the luxury and would definitely recommend this to anyone. Simply fautless.

Swansea, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

I have stayed at many b&b's over the years, but only a few stay in my mind as a lovely memory. Bryn Mair house has been added to the list. From the warm welcome on arrival with a reviving cuppa and home-made welshcakes served in the gorgeous lounge, to the beautiful room,comfy bed, fantastic breakfast.......I could go on and on! I wish that we could have stayed longer than just one night. Just go and stay there and see for yourself. Pete and Jan were perfect hosts. Well worth navigating the narrow approach. It cetainly wouldn't ever put us off. We'll be back!

Cheltenham
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2011

This B&B was simply outstanding. From the warm welcome on arrival - with coffee and home made cake - to the tastefully decorated and furnished lounge, dining room and bedroom, it was the perfect place to stay to explore southern Snowdonia. Do take care navigating the very narrow lane to the entrance though!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Midlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2011

I don't think I can say anything that has not been said already: great hosts, beautiful property, wonderful attention to detail. Quite simply a welcoming place - at once homely AND luxurious.
Pete and Jan are great hosts and have completely made me re-evaluate my opinion of B&Bs.
This is five star in every way! Well worth and the time and money they have invested in the place.
The proof of the pudding for me was that, since purchasing a very good mattress at home, I have struggled to sleep anywhere else - until now! The beds were wonderfully comfy with cloud-like duvets and pillows! I was almost glad we only stayed for one night as if we had stayed for 2 I think I might have stayed indoors all day just to enjoy the super comfy bed!!
Needless to say we are already planning our next trip to North Wales...

Quito, Ecuador
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2011

We stayed here recently and were very delighted at the lovely B&B rooms. Very spacious indeed with some lovely views across town. Our ensuite was small and included a wet room/shower. Everything was pristine and the tiling in this room was truly a work of art - perfectly symetrical. Strange the things you notice sometimes. The only improvement I can think of would be a larger TV (and perhaps two chairs to watch TV). The bedlinen, carpets and curtains are all lovely - new and good quality. Very nice. Very comfortable bed and quiet location unlike those places on the one way system in town. Close to the centre to walk to in 5 mins though so good location.

Breakfast was at a shared table but we were the only guests this mid week rainy day, so this might not always be the case. Would definitley visit again. As I have been in town quite a bit lately, staying at different places I can say this is my favourite place in Dolgellau.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Warwick, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2011

We arrived to a cosy house with a warm welcome from Jan and Pete. Tea and home made lemon drizzle cake when we arrived. The whole place is beautiful, period decor, spotlessly clean and lovely comfy beds, fluffy white towels, heaps of piping hot water which we needed after a day out climbing Cadair Idris!
Breakfast was great, fresh fruit, yoghurts, freshly cooked breakfast using local fare.
We will definitely return! This is one of the best B&Bs we have ever styed in, with reasonable rates.
If you get a chance, join in the local folk dancing in town (Ty Siamus centre) which was great fun!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Bryn Mair House? Share your experiences!