“Holiday with two grandchildren” 4 of 5 stars

The Lion Hotel
Y Maes, Criccieth LL52 0AA, Wales   |
Ranked #8 of 8 Hotels in Criccieth
Fleetwood, United Kingdom
“Holiday with two grandchildren”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

Our group consisted of 2 adults and two children (6 and 8). We were allocated room 38 which had ajoining bedrooms and shared bathroom which was ideal for our needs. The room was clean and was maintain so thoughout our stay. The bathroom was spotless and supplied with more than enough towels for our needs.
All the staff we had contact with during our 5 nights stay were helpful and kind to the children. It was as if nothing was nothing was to much trouble for them. I even asked an old friend over to visit it us at the hotel and the staff offered several options of hospitality there could provide to make our friends visit a happy one.
The food consisted of breakfast and evening meal. The breakfast was a self service and was generously supplied with varied selection of choice. I was impressed with detail they had gone to even down to the hot plates and napkins for holding them. The evening meal had a plentiful choice of tasteful dishes and I think the chef enjoyed making the presentation of the desserts as mouth watering as he could. I fact the food was so good that I ended up inviting our friend to join us for an evening meal.
The children had the last say by asking could they come again next year. A thing I would have no hesitation in doing.

Room Tip: Ring the hotel and let them know your needs. I am sure they will help you in every way.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
CallumLion, General Manager at The Lion Hotel, responded to this review, August 2, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind words and praise of our hotel. We very much appreciate that you have given your time to review us. You are correct, our staff are all very helpful and kind, of course as you mention there is no problem inviting non-resident friend over for dinner. We are thrilled your friend enjoyed his short visit to us. Thank you for your kind words regarding our food, and yes our chef (she) is very passionate about taste as well as presentation, I will pass on your kind words to her. We would very much love to welcome you back and look forward to your return next year.

Thanks again for your positive, kind words.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

My Partner and I stayed at the Lion Hotel in Criccieth during July 2012, we arrived early on a Saturday and were welcomed with a choice of drink from the Bar. We ventured toward the Sea as we were too early to Check-In and were dismayed to see just how dated Criccieth has become. The main Road through the Town is dotted with expensive Restaurants and a noticeable lack of Pubs. The day we arrived was very hot leading us to seek out a Beer Garden for an Ice cold drink, after circumnavigating the whole town we ended up back at the Lion which seemed to have the only Beer Garden in Criccieth! It was quite a Sun Trap, we both got quite burnt, the need for a Gardener or at least a Grass Mower was obvious but not an issue. We Checked in at about 3pm into Room 18, very pleasant room with views across the Sea. We had our Evening Meal at the Indian Restaurant next door to the Lion, food very good, service appaling. Breakfast time brings up my main complaint about the Lion, as we entered the Breakfast room, we chose a table for 2 and sat down, we were asked to move as this was not our table, with nobody present to explain that there were pre-determined tables this just seemed bizarre. The Breakfast Menu asked us to place an order for cooked food before we browsed the Buffet area so we sat and waited, nothing. Eventually we were approached and asked if we would like a hot drink, but not any hot food. We then noticed that hot food was part of the Buffet, all very confusing. Overall though a pleasant stay, just a shame Criccieth doesnt seem to want to be a Seaside Town anymore.

Room Tip: Room 18 Superb View.
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking your time to provide us with your feedback and positive words regarding our Hotel. We very much appreciate your kind words. I would like to apologise about the confusion regarding the tables at breakfast, particularly during busy periods by organising our tables in such a way it enables us to be more organised and provide a general better service. Unfortunately there was some confusion with yourselves again do accept my apologies for this.

Thank you again for your kind words, I am pleased that you had a pleasant stay.
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

My partner and I stayed here for two nights to celebrate our 10th anniversary and I would definitely recommend it.
The staff were very polite, friendly and welcoming. The room was comfortable and very clean and had a great view of Criccieth Castle.
We ate in the hotel during the second night of our stay, but wished we had eaten there on the first night too! The food was well cooked and there was a very good selection. Breakfast was served buffet style, which was perfect to stock up on fuel for a day walking around the local area. The staff were on hand to recommend walks, which was really helpful having never visited this area before.
We'll definitely be coming back here for our 11th anniversary!

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your positive thoughts and praise. We are very pleased that you enjoyed your anniversary stay with us and feel great that we helped make it even more special. Yes the majority of our rooms do indeed offer an enviable view of the Castle, one that many of our guests love to point out. Thank you for noting that our food is good, I will be sure to pass on your kind words to our staff.

We very much look forward to your stay next year & once again thank you for your kind words.
Chester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

My wife , 6 year old boy and i stayed here for two nights 18/19/ july 2012, First impression on walk to room was musky smell and creaking floorboards in the cramped corridors, We booked the family room (30), first look at room was like going back in time 30 years to when i suspect this room was last decorated, on inspection of the bed linen found washed but still stained sheets from previous occupants, one pillow case looked like a previous occupant had had a nose bleed, and although it had been washed we could still clearly see the red stain, maid changed the sheets no problem to be fair but was not impressed., Windows in this "family" room, were below knee height and rising making it very easy for a toddler running around to go through the window if he fell close to it.
The sign above the toilet says this is a saniflow toilet, whatever that means, what we found out that night is that everytime the loo is flushed, or the bath emptied, the plumbing makes loud noises , the thin walls between adjoining rooms, exacerbates the noise from other rooms, at 2300 hours we were unable to sleep due to the television in the next room,i dont think the occupant had it rearly loud, just that the walls are paper thin, breakfast poor, plates the size of saucers.
All in all, we would not go back to this hotel if offered an all inclusive free holiday,

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
CallumLion, General Manager at The Lion Hotel, responded to this review, July 24, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking your time to provide your feedback regarding the hotel. I am disappointed that your stay with us was not all that it could have been.

I would like to take this opportunity to apologies on behalf of the hotel and its team for your stay.

I do agree that the pillow case would have also left me unimpressed, we use an external company that does all of our laundry., we are investigating this and putting in measures with our room staff to ensure this does not happen again. Unfortunately in this instance the external laundry company we use has let us down and it is our business and reputation that has suffered as a consequence. We were also unaware of this incident and although we are certain a similar incident will not happen again, we have notified the chambermaid staff to make us aware if it ever does.

We are a family hotel and are renovating our rooms on a continual basis. You are right in noting that some of the floorboards may creek, the building dates back to the 1730's and has been transformed from an old inn. Our guests generally appreciate the rich history surrounding the hotel. Each room is uniquely decorated and offers an individual personality so to speak, unlike a purpose built chain hotel.

Thank you for pointing out the possible hazard from the window in your room. After investigating, it has become apparent that the safety bars were removed when the bottom half of the window was secured, these have now been replaced.

Saniflow systems operate in older buildings like this, where there are no other sanitary provisions available. We only have a few of them in the front of the main building.

We have never had a complaint regarding our breakfast before; in fact if you read previous reviews you will see that guests note how exceptional it is. The breakfast plates aren't the size of saucers,that is simply untrue, our breakfast is also a buffet so guests are welcome to enjoy as much as they like.

We do offer our sincerest apologies, it is procedure that upon check out we ensure the guest is pleased and happy with their stay, perhaps if you would have brought up your issues then or even during your stay we would have resolved them. Unfortunately in this instance you chose not to mention anything to us, as a result it's difficult to resolve the issues.

However, once again do accept my sincerest apologise and thank you for your feedback.
Solihull UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

Just returned from a weekend golf trip with friends to the area which included 3 nights at the hotel. First the good the staff and the food were excellent, now the average even through Criccieth is hardly the bright centre of the universe, the hotel and room was like something out of a bygone age (though it was very clean) I tried to remember the last time I was given an actual key to open a hotel room!
They did have free wifi in the lobby but even in there the signal strength on my smart phone was extremely poor so in the end I had to rely on 3G (I have unlimited date usage fortunately) which I was suprised to find I got a very good signal for in the area.
Finally the very poor the room didn't seem hot, but every night after a few hours asleep in the bed I woke up me and the sheets soaked in sweat! I really don't know what caused it though.
Overall it's clean and has excellent staff, but extremely dated and sleep quality was impared so overall an average experience.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thanks for providing some feedback about the hotel. I am disappointed that your stay with us was only average.

I would like to apologise on behalf of the hotel in regards to the heating problem in your room, were investigating the strange heating behaviour and will have it remedied as soon as possible. Our WiFi is generally very good, I'm unsure what might have happened there. I'm writing this using it, I do sincerely apologise though and can appreciate how frustrating this may have been. Yes we do use keys for our rooms, we've never deemed it a problem though.

I would like to thank you for your kind comments regarding our food, cleanliness & staff. I will pass on your kind messages to our service & kitchen team. You may also be interested in knowing that we refurbish our rooms on a continuous basis. I would take great pleasure in welcoming you back on your next golfing trip so you can experience the hotel as it is meant to be. Let us know upon booking and we can also pre arrange discounted green fees for you and your group.

Once again please accept my apologises, I certainly hope you enjoyed your golf, and sincere thanks for your kind words regarding our good food, cleanliness and friendly staff.
Nottingham
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012

Just had 4 nights at the Lion on a coach tour, we found the staff very polite and helpful, the room (48) was always clean and tidy and with an excellent view of the castle. And to make our stay complete the breakfast was excellent with a good varied selection every night.
Would pay a return visit anytime.
Many Thanks

Room Tip: First floor rooms in the Castle View cottages give exactly what it says on the tin.
, General Manager at The Lion Hotel, responded to this review, July 16, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking your time to provide your feedback regarding our hotel. We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us at the Lion.

We are delighted to know that the hotel and our staff were able to meet your needs over your stay. We will be certain to pass over your kind words to our staff.

We’re happy you liked your room at the castle view cottage, which yes as you say ‘gives exactly what it says on the tin’ a fantastic view of the brilliant Criccieth Castle. We are also pleased that you enjoyed the food here at the Lion. We've posted your review on our facebook page 'thelionhotelcriccieth'.

Once again, genuine thanks you for your kind words.

See you again soon.
Wigan, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

Ate in the bar only, did not stay here. This could so easily have received 4 if not 5 stars for the food, but the poor atmosphere and one very rude member of staff let it down. Recently refurbished, smart interiors, very tasty and reasonably priced food with an extensive menu, good offers and 'proper' chips. Pleasant waiter, but the man behind the bar was abrupt to the point of being rude, which made my boyfriend and I feel very unwelcome and almost like an inconvenience. Shame about that as I feel this hotel could have a lot to offer.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
, Manager at The Lion Hotel, responded to this review, July 16, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking your time to provide feedback regarding our hotel & bar, I am certainly disappointed that your meal with us was not all that it could have been.

I would like to apologize on behalf of the hotel and it's team in particular the member of staff that you are referring to. The interaction with this member of staff is certainly not typical and I have raised your experience with our entire service team.

I am pleased that you enjoyed our food including our 'proper chips', we pride ourselves on great food at a reasonable price, and yes we do have an extensive menu with good offers, thank you for noting that.

I am disappointed that we could have received a 4 or 5 out of 5 rating from you but our member of staff let us down. If you are in the area again we would very much welcome a return visit, I personally assure you that the service will be of the highest standard and would welcome a second review from you.

Once again please do accept my apologies and I do hope you enjoyed the rest of your stay in Criccieth.

Been to The Lion Hotel? Share your experiences!