“George IV hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Criccieth
Burton upon Trent, United Kingdom
“George IV hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

On a recent tour of North Wales I used the George iv hotel as a base. It is Ideal for visiting places like Portmadoc, Caernarvon, the Isle of Anglesey and many more places. It is an old style building but very pleasant. The staff were very friendly and very helpful. The whole atmosphere of the place was very good. It was very clean and the rooms very nice. The food was excellent. I would recommend a stay at the George iv hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
bolton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

We stayed at the hotel on an Alfa tour for five days. Our room was at the front of the hotel with a view of the castle. The room was spacious and the bathroom excellent. The room was spotless and the towels were changed every day.

The food was very good in the restaurant and the service was excellent. All the staff were very nice and friendly most of them were eastern european. Nothing was to much trouble for them and they were very obliging if you wanted to alter something on the menu. The entertainment was ok but a lot of guests dont seem to stay down at night to see it.

We would have no problem in recommending this hotel to family and friends.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

I stayed at George IV for two day with my little ones. I intended to stay only for one night, but stayed for another night as the experience so nice. The management seems to be so friendly. The room in which we were in so good and comfortable. Nice to see a new wing added to the hotel, well decorated. As I wanted to leave early, the management provided us with packed lunches and a small gift for the kids. Thanks to the manager and the staff. I will visit George IV in the future.

Room Tip: There is new wing added to the Hotel with brand new rooms.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Birmingham UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

Well off on an ALFA tour to this hotel, they own it, and having paid £149 for travel,trips out,porterage and most meals and entertainment did I get value. Yes I did. Well appointed rooms,however initially we were very disappointed with the midget TV ( 14") in such a big room. We paid extra for a Castle view and we did have a view but some of the rooms were better than ours, however in old hotels it is not easy to have all rooms the same.
Meals were hot and tasty and a very varied menue. I really enjoyed the Hamm and Eggs for breakfast. Service varied a bit but I think they had lost a staff member during our stay so that may have a bearing.
New lift and renovated rooms seem to move this hotel up a notch. Entertainment was varied and in the most part enjoyable and , of course, included in the cost.
Staff were all friendly and this made a big difference to our stay. It costs nothing to have a smile and joke.
Well situated for a Scenic stay.
Just down the road towards the Station there was a very friendly pub called the Castle, well worth a stop for a bit of liquid enjoyment.
Overall excellent value for money and would go back

Room Tip: Just ask for a renovated room, although I susepct they will all be by next year
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Bradford
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

You can now disregard most of the negative reviews here as the renovation work has been completed to a high standard. We stayed in August and the Hotel was busy but the service was good. The staff coped very well at all times with a full hotel.The cuisine could not be faulted well above the 3 star rating and we intend to return for a further week next summer. True there may be more exciting hotels in the town some with better views but the first room we had was excellent and was not a premium added room we don't think though we only had it for 5 minutes. Heres the bad news after being about to settle in to our double roomwith a lovely view we were asked by the reception lady to move as there had been a mistake and an elderly couple (we're mid sixties) who had booked a twin room needed the room. As we may need the same favour in our latter years we agreed to move though it turned out to be to our detriment. The room we were moved to was facing a blank wall 10 feet away with views of crumbling gutters and fall pipes. As it happened our allocated dinner partners on our table were the very same couple whom we had bequeathed our room to and with whom we became very friendly with over the week.
There was evening entertainment provided in a newly createdand humid but otherwise comfortable room. I'm not a bingo fan but the bar/restaurant manger doubles as the caller at least for duration of our stay and to say he was hilarious is an understatement. The most entertaining bingo you are ever likely to witness.
From the reviews I was not expecting great things but all in all we thoroughly enjoyed our stay and I think the room placement was a genuine error which overall did not spoil our stay. I suspect that we were possibly put in a premium view room although it was side sea facing and premium rooms are advertised as 'Castle View'. Who knows?

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

My friend and I had a very nice week end at the George Hotel . We found the staff, particularly the Reception Staff to be very helpful and friendly and the dining/bedroom/kitchen staff were also most accommodating. Our bedroom was very comfortable and well appointed and we only had breakfast but it was excellent with a good variety to choose from. On my return I gave details of the hotel to my local coach operator as I am sure that they would find it to be a very suitable place to take folk to in the future.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
manchester
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

just been to the above The hotel was very good the new part was great the staff very friendly and helpfull the food good and hot will go back My only problem was Alfa prizes I won a GB Team mug great but the umberella I won first time in the rain and a little wind it just buckeled in on me and I had to put it in the nearest bin told Alfa they said ring hotel but it is alfa that supply the goods but they do not seem to care about how good the umberellas are they look good but are very cheap

Room Tip: if you can choose the new part very good rooms and on noise
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Been to George IV Hotel? Share your experiences!