“A Nice Treat” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Meifod Country House Hotel & Restaurant

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Bontnewydd
Meifod Country House Hotel & Restaurant
You added Meifod Country House Hotel & Restaurant to your Saves list
Bontnewydd, Caernarfon LL55 2TY, Wales   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Bontnewydd
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“A Nice Treat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

On holiday in the area we decided to have a treat and eat out and wanted something a bit special. other than the local pub grub.
We were not disappointed by Meifod. Our party of 6 adults and a toddler called in on aThursday evening. We were welcomed immediately and asked if we wanted a drink and given menus to peruse.
We selected our meals whilst relaxing in the bar area, and after a short time we were shown into the restaurant area.
Four of us went for the mixed grill and my wife had the Lamb shank, my son in law had chicken and the toddler was given a lovely little children`s meal .
The whole experience was great, the food was excellent, homely and good portions. a nice treat and a bit better than the local pubs.
Thankyou to the nice lady who looked after us.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Caernarfon, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

Had a lovley wedding meal at the Meifod today. Leek & Potato soup followed by melt in the mouth Welsh beef (and PLENTY) of it with roasts, carrots, broccoli, mash and a huge Yorkshire pudding. The dessert was a brandy snap basket with ice cream and fresh fruit. If this is the typical food served there I would recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: Value wise fantastic - as we didn't have to pay!!!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Bangor, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I was the Maid of Honour at a wedding the Meifod Hotel and I have a lot of praise to give. I stayed the night before and the night of the wedding.

The room -
I stayed in the family room which has a put up bed on request. The beds were comfortable with luxurious bedding. The room was big, spacious with good lighting. The bathroom was on the smaller side. The only problem was when my room or the room opposite used the shower or hot water there was a terrible loud noise every 60 seconds which might annoy some people. My 5 year old slept in the put up bed all night so was obviously comfortable too.Robes, biscuits, card games, an iron with board and books were nice added touches.

The food -
We had dinner the night before in the dining room which was beautifully set out. The food was tastefully displayed and obviously freshly cooked. Delicious!

The staff -
The waiters and waitresses were polite and friendly. Cannot give enough praise to the lovely lady Babs, who never seems to stop in the Hotel. She was always there for us, nothing was too much to ask. She really made our stay and the wedding day a pleasant one. Thank you very much Babs!

The wedding -
Drinks on arrival were the marquee. A lovely setting with heart shaped welsh cakes - again the little touches make a difference! We had photographs in the grounds of the hotel which were memorial and lovely with the trees and plants. The wedding breakfast was served in The Orangery which was the most beautifully set out room I have ever seen. White drapes hanging from the ceiling, chair covers, flowers and hearts scattered around the room. It was very romantic. The food came quickly and everyone was served within good time of each other considering there were 80 guests. The food was delicious again with good portion sizes. In the evening, there was a delicious BBQ with plenty of choice although maybe not much for a vegetarian except pasta, salad or potatoes. I can't comment on drinks prices as I didn't pay for any they were bought for me.

All in all, I have a very enjoyable stay in the Meifod Hotel and will be returning for Evening meals in the future.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Paris, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

My brother got married here last year and while I can't comment on the rooms, I don't agree with the few negative comments on here. The whole thing was amazing from start to finish and the staff, especially Barbara, bent over backwards for us and the surprises we had lined up for the bride and groom. It was so good that I even considered coming back for my own wedding in 2013, but unfortunately they were already booked on the date I wanted.

The food was outstanding, the grounds stunning and all of the guests (100+) commented on how good the venue was. I loved the way they did the barbecue, the only problem was that we were still all so stuffed from lunch that we couldn't eat much! The decor in the dining room was perfect for a wedding, the table decorations, layout.... absolutely faultless.

Being local to the area, I can tell you that this is one of three venues that most couples choose for their wedding breakfast and it's widely recognised as being one of the best in this part of North Wales. For me the only downside is that there are only 6 bedrooms so I couldn't stay over, but Meifod is just a few minutes from Caernarfon, where there is plenty of accommodation to be found.

Easily the best wedding I've ever been to, and not because the groom was my brother. Meifod was fabulous from start to finish and I highly recommend it to everyone. Go for Sunday lunch, you won't regret it!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
wales
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

We had lunch at the meifod on monday it was excellent wonderfull service and a bit roaring fire in the lounge that was really appreciated as it was a freezing day.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Caernarfon, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

We had Lunch at Meifod for Mother's Day and my 95 year old Mom had a ball. We have grown up children( they were too busy to come,, say no more!!!) The Carvery was excellent, service spot on, atmosphere great. We have never had bad food here. The setting is lovely and only a couple of miles away from Caernarfon. A big thankyou to everyone for making Mom's day very special.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013 via mobile

My family and I (wife and three young sons) stayed here in May 2011 but I've only just got round to writing this after 20 months. We turned up without a reservation, after the accommodation we had originally booked let us down. The staff were very accommodating, and managed to work out how two adults and three children (one in a cot) could stay in one room.

We were given a great room with a big comfortable bed, camp bed for two kids and space for the cot and also managed to negotiate a good rate.

The staff were relaxed and friendly and breakfast was excellent. It's never easy with three children in a hotel restaurant but here it was no problem.

During our stay, we had a meal at the Meifod with our extended families who were holidaying at the same time down the road (by intention). So that made 6 adults and 5 children for one evening meal. The food and service were excellent but the prices were a little steep.

So 5 stars for the Meifod. The only slightly negative comment would be that the bathroom (whilst very clean) was a bit dated.

I hope to return one day.

Stayed March 2012, traveled with family

Been to Meifod Country House Hotel & Restaurant? Share your experiences!