“Loads of character, friendly staff, great breakfast.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Meifod Country House Hotel & Restaurant

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Bontnewydd
Meifod Country House Hotel & Restaurant
You added Meifod Country House Hotel & Restaurant to your Saves list
Bontnewydd, Caernarfon LL55 2TY, Wales   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Bontnewydd
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Loads of character, friendly staff, great breakfast.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013 via mobile

My family and I (wife and three young sons) stayed here in May 2011 but I've only just got round to writing this after 20 months. We turned up without a reservation, after the accommodation we had originally booked let us down. The staff were very accommodating, and managed to work out how two adults and three children (one in a cot) could stay in one room.

We were given a great room with a big comfortable bed, camp bed for two kids and space for the cot and also managed to negotiate a good rate.

The staff were relaxed and friendly and breakfast was excellent. It's never easy with three children in a hotel restaurant but here it was no problem.

During our stay, we had a meal at the Meifod with our extended families who were holidaying at the same time down the road (by intention). So that made 6 adults and 5 children for one evening meal. The food and service were excellent but the prices were a little steep.

So 5 stars for the Meifod. The only slightly negative comment would be that the bathroom (whilst very clean) was a bit dated.

I hope to return one day.

Stayed March 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013 via mobile

After arriving on business with 2 other colleagues our initial impressions were good. The host, Lucy duly took our details and issued our keys. I believe there were only one other couple staying in the hotel.
I was surprised to find I had been given the bridal suite, which was very old fashioned but in a nice way (4 poster bed, carved furniture, free standing bath - as mentioned by others, kettle half full - pet hate). We sat down stairs in the lounge on the evening and had a drink in front if the large open fire, before being lead into the dining room for dinner. The food was average but plentiful (I had thi fish cakes & mixed grill). The tables were set nicely, but being the only ones there it lacked any atmosphere as there was no music etc. On retiring to my room I found the bed to be rather uncomfortable, the mattress sagged and I ended up with a bad back ache (I'm 27). Then early hours onwards I was horrifically ill. I hadn't felt right since dinner and can only attribute it to dodgy or under cooked fish cakes. Looking at other reviews perhaps I was just unlucky or mistaken, but considering how ill I was its unlikely ill be staying again or recommended to others.

• Stayed February 2013

Travelers are raving about these Bontnewydd hotels

Bolton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

I have just returned from a two nights stay at the Meifod with my parents. Unfortunately, the reasons for our stay was a family funeral and we had booked the hotel for the wake after the service.

From the moment we arrived we couldn't have been looked after better. A roaring log fire fire greeted us in the residents lounge along with the warmest welcome from Lucy, one of the regular staff members of the team.

Dinner that night was lovely though the portions are not for the fainthearted. My parents had portions of beautiful cod in homemade light crispy beer batter and tasty homemade chips. My house salad and garlic mushrooms were heavenly.

The following day the hotel provided a cold buffet for 40 of us in the main conservatory which is a beautiful room for any occasion and I'm sure looks absolutely stunning when dressed and set for a wedding. The food was all home made and presented beautifully. Again we were looked after 100%
We opted for the cooked breakfast on both mornings which, along with a large pot of tea and big jug of coffee set us up for the day.

I've read some of the previous reviews with interest particularly with respect to the hotel rooms and interior... yes the carpet in the main thoroughfare is in need of a good shampoo and the dim lighting in the bedrooms did nothing to help my failing eyesight but it has to be said that this is an old Victorian family house hotel with just five bedrooms and many of its original & 'lived-in' features are very much part of its charm.

The only thing that could have been added (for me anyway) was the presence a couple of daily newspapers in the snug lounge and then to curl up and lose myself in these in total comfort!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Liversedge, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

Although the happy couple had a fantastic day, venue definitely a let down. Stayed in Meiford the night before and night of the wedding. After travelling down from Leeds getting there late it was not what I expected. Main entrance the glass to the door was broken covered with plastic, the carpets in main area leading to the rooms were dirty. For £110 a night the room was below standard, the light fittings were hanging off with little working bulbs. The curtains were hanging on by a thread. Bathroom, where to start toilet was on a sani-flow system every time you flushed it or ran the tap it sounded like a mini digger in the room. Toilet would not flush, someone did come to the room to fix 45 minutes later toilet off the wall it was sorted. One of the staff came to replace bin and toilet roll in the bathroom to be informed one of the keys for my room was missing! Not a great nights sleep after hearing that to say the least. As a paying guest you would expect to have access to all areas in the hotel, we were told not to be/sit in the public area?! Wouldn't recommend for a wedding.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

Went to a wedding here and I have to say it was so buetifully decorated. Downfall on the drinks tho they were very overpriced!I payed for a vodka and coke at £3.90 in the day and after the meal I was getting charged £7 for a vodka and coke.My dad also gave the bar man £20 and the bar man served someone else without giving him the change and clamed he gave him £10 not £20. Have to say the hotel is WAY WAY overpriced for what the bride and groom payed for the meal I mean come on its cheaper at a 5 star hotel!!But despite all the issues raized like I said the place was buetifully decorated and we all had a wonderfull day.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Bangor
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

Attended a wedding last week. We know what they happy couple paid for this and to be honest I thought it was overpriced. On arrival there was no-one to greet the guests, the bar was poorly managed and staff a little invisible in their presence. Guests were told they could not go into certain rooms as they were for regulars which as some of the wedding party had booked most of the rooms was ridiculous.
Staff wise I found the place to be understaffed and decidely average. Bar-staff should be told not to place money in till until after the change has been given over as I am 100% certain I was shortchanged a tenner. The setting is very good and the room was well laid out.
After the wedding bar prices seemed to increase dramatically. Wedding food was ok although the stand out was the dessert of baked Bara Brith which was excellent.
Having attended a wedding in one of the Llandudno Hotels a few months previously, there is no comparison with the professionalism of the staff there and the slip shop service at Meifod.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

i have just read some of the very negative reviews of the Meifod Hotel and am astounded that the comments could be the same place i visited last weekend.
i live in Australia and returned to Wales to attend my sister and now brother-in-law's wedding. The service, wedding dinner and evening party with BBQ were all conducted at the Meifod.
The venue was most elegantly decorated; the attention to detail was without fault. My understanding is that the decorations are planned with the staff and there are a few different themes to choose from.
The staff who served the wedding meal were all pleasant and helpful, and the manageress was absolutely excellent. All courses were served with efficiency.The quality of the wedding luncheon - vegetable soup, roast lamb and cheesecake - was excellent and the accompanying vegetables were cooked to perfection. The evening BBQ food was also of great quality and abundance and very reasonably priced per head.

The ladies toilets were spotless and I thought really elegantly and classically decorated. The marquee was fine - we didn't use it much but it was set up to seat all guests. The grounds are tidy. We stayed overnight and yes, while the room was small, it is an old building and i would suggest the size of the room we stayed in reflects the era in which it was built - ie Victorian. If i had to make any criticism, it would simply be to query the use of carpet in a bathroom these days......Besides, the room that acted as a bridal suite was very substantial. not having lived in the UK for ten years, I assumed the price for one night there was standard for the level of accomodation received.
breakfast the next morning was excellent adn delivered with excellent service.
Overall, the building was spotless, tastefully and elegantly decorated, and the quality of the food served was excellent. In my opinion, the staff worked incredibly long and hard hours to provide this standard of service, and I applaud them for their commitment to providing such standards of excellence.I would recommend this venue for simply Sunday lunch or for any formal function. My understanding is that it is fully booked with two weddings a week for the next 12 months - so it can't be that bad! it would be my first choice of venue for a wedding/christening/family occassion, and I thank the staff for providing me with a day well worthy of the 24 hour trip from Down Under.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Been to Meifod Country House Hotel & Restaurant? Share your experiences!