“Birthday treat” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Snowdonia National Park, United Kingdom
“Birthday treat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012 via mobile

We had a fantastic per Christmas short break. We experienced total luxury in our garden suite with an enormous king sized bed, elegant design and lavish bathroom.

Canapés by the fire, every mouthful a new delight for the taste buds. Moving through to the dining room for a three course meal with exquisite service. Each course was beautifully presented and tasted divine. We had our coffee brought to our room and again there was even more food - homemade truffles.

Breakfast was fabulous, the only trouble was to find space to put it all.

it is the kind of place you hope to visit time and time again. Thank you Brian and Susan for your hospitality and attention to detail and for making our trip so special. Jim & Laura

Crewe
“After nine years I still rate this place very highly.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

Nine years ago we were on our way to a friends wedding at Pale Hall. We were very early for the ceremony which was scheduled for 3pm on a Saturday afternoon. We were starving and since I had chosen the scenic country route after driving through Corwen we just happened to come upon this gem hidden in the beautiful Welsh countryside.

We had a stunning lunch.

Since that fateful day we have been regular visitors. Four years ago I declared to Susan Webb that, in my opinion, her husband, Brian's, food was of Michelin star standard. The following year they were deservingly awarded their star.

I have stayed here on many occasions. The last time being on a chilly, damp November Sunday evening when we availed ourselves of the Roederer gourmet evening. The food was superb. Once again we stayed in room 1.

This is a restaurant with rooms. It is not a purpose built hotel but a retreat adapted to fulfil a very different role to it's original purpose.

The building and grounds are a delight. The outside veranda is reminiscent of the seaside and in the summer, a great place to sit, relax and drink Champagne or partake afternoon tea. The daffodils in the spring are stunning.

The lounges are comfortable. The dining room is in two sections both of which have their own distinct character, I've dined in both, the new extension is, however, lovely.

The staff do vary. It must be very difficult to find reliable staff in the middle of nowhere. I have always experienced good service. The tables are prepared and laid in keeping with a Michelin starred establishment.

Brian's menus have always given me a good and varied choice.

Brian Webb's food is excellent. He breaks the tradition of modern fine dining which seems to dictate that one should walk away from the table feeling hungry and ripped off. His portions are generous. The food is well prepared, it is multilayered, multi flavoured and multi textured. He sticks to what he does well. Much of the produce is locally sourced and it shows in the quality of the food on offer. The food here fully deserves it's Michelin 1star rating.

The canapés can be seen without a magnifying glass and are served so that each diner can have one of each.

The wine list is populated with a good selection of unusual wines as well as the usual classics. I enjoy trying different wine and have been able to experience a few pleasant surprises during my visits.

Go for Sunday lunch, and go hungry. I defy anyone to eat everything offered and walk away feeling hungry!

Chef Webb's wife, Susan, is a charismatic character. She cares deeply about her husband's craft and tries very hard to do everything she can to make the experience of dining at Tyddyn Llan as good as it can be. Being in charge of front of house at a fine dining restaurant in the middle of nowhere, where sheep & cows outnumber human inhabitants by multiples to one, is bound to be an impossible task and must be very stressful. I have noted the adverse comments of one or two other reviewers and can only say that I have always found her to be very professional and welcoming.

I look forward to our next visit. I've never had a substandard meal or dining experience here.

The rooms are quirky, individual, spotlessly clean, and laid on to provide diners, who would otherwise drive, an opportunity to eat, drink, be merry and stay, hence removing the risk of losing their licence. This is not a 4/5 starred hotel with a fine dining restaurant, but more in keeping with a B&B with a Michelin Starred restaurant! The breakfast, incidentally is wicked.

London
“Deserving of it's 1 Michelin star”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

The Sunday lunch here was so good, I've booked to go a second time within two weeks!

Tyddyn Llan really is a gem in the middle of North Wales. Not too far from Llangollen and close to Corwen, you are well treated from the moment you step through the door.

I dined with two girlfriends for Sunday lunch and the food really was something to savour. I can truly say that I ate the best roast beef dinner ever! The meat was cooked to my liking and the gravy, divine....

The ladies also enjoyed their lunches and we couldn't get enough of the desserts either. My champage and rhubarb trifle was perfect. Be sure to order it, if it's still on the menu.

For a set menu of 3 courses for £38 (without wine), Tyddyn Llan shouldn't be missed.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Wrexham,North Wales
“Wonderful return visit to this fabulous restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

This was a return visit for us to Tyddyn Llan for Sunday lunch and an indulgent night’s stop over. This Michelin star restaurant with rooms is definitely our favourite restaurant in the UK. We were greeted by a roaring fire and some divine canapés with our pre-dinner drinks while we perused the menu. They have an excellent reasonably priced wine list and we chose their Chateau Bauduc white house wine which was gorgeous.
We had the sweetbreads & langoustine for our appetisers. Veal kidneys & Sea bass for mains and my husband had the prune & almond tart for dessert. I was too full by then but the staff were very accommodating and arranged for us to take a lovely plate of cheeses up to our room to enjoy later.
Every morsel of food was presented beautifully and the flavours were fabulous. We had a very comfortable night’s stay and the room facilities were 5 star.
Susan, the owner is a wonderful hostess and always remains friendly & unruffled no matter how much pressure she is under. While we were there, there was a large table of 20 people that needed serving quickly as they were on a tight schedule. This was all handled without the rest of the diner’s even noticing the pressure that all the staff were under.
Bryan the chef/owner truly deserves his Michelin star for his amazing food and a fantastic choice of affordable menus for a Michelin star restaurant. We would recommend you make the effort to travel here & experience it yourself.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
“Comfortable room, good food, country house dining, quite an experience, We would go again.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012 via mobile

This place describes itself as a restaurant with rooms, which doesn't really give the full picture about the room quality itself. Our room was well appointed comfortable and very pleasant. the food was excellent and the service was attentive but unfussy.
We came for our wedding anniversary and the first night we were there we had a nice little card congratulating us on our anniversary which was a thoughtful touch.