“Memphis - Doubletree” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #29 of 134 Hotels in Memphis
Houston, TX, United States
“Memphis - Doubletree”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

This hotel is well-located near Beale Street. The room was rather small and dark, with just a small corner window. With the exception of the mildew in the tub/shower area, I was happy with my stay. I probably wouldn't stay here again, because we would like a better view and a balcony.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
memphis, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

Just across the street from Auto Zone Park and two blocks from Beale Street. Very nice lobby with access to a TGI Fridays for drinks and late night eating. We had a good stay. I can't think of anything else to write.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

Booked through hotwire as a secret hotel. Wasn't disappointed. Arrived on a rainy day and the receptionist was really friendly and gave us lovely warm cookies as a welcome (small things ah!!) room was great, spacious and had everything we needed. Easy check in and out. Valet parking makes everything super easy. Would stay here again. Some reviews reference TGIs but I didn't even notice it was there. The staff all seemed friendly and helpful- I think it's the way you speak to them determines how your treated back for those that haven't had a good experience.......

Bromsgrove, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

My partner and I stayed there for 3 nights in September 2013. My partner was in Room 322. I was in 318 after insisting on being moved from another room because the air con was stuck on hot. Despite the heat outside, this was belching out even hotter air.
This place does no credit to Hilton whatsoever. The building is partially a very old one and partially a newer, bigger, brutalist building. We were in the older part. Room 322 was dark and dingy with filthy windows. You could hardly see to get ready to go out. And that was in the day! At night it was worse with most of the lights not working or containing a 2 watt bulb. OK, maybe 20 at most.
The door keys wouldn’t work. We went to reception to get them validated. Many other in our party had the same problem. The luggage wasn’t brought up to our room. After 3 hours we brought it up ourselves. We expect, like most US hotels, a room safe. No room safe here. There are deposit boxes in a little cubby hole. Every time we wanted to use it, we had to ask for someone to let us in. They then stood guard over us. Presumably we looked dodgy and might break open some of the other deposit boxes.
Room 322 was incredibly noisy. The windows were single glazed and the frames were rotten. There was a gap all around the bottom that you could almost get a finger through. See photo. There was a depo., over the road where trucks were loading through the night. There were mosquitoes getting in around the window frame and there was noise from air conditioning units outside the room. It was the noisiest room we have ever encountered. Sleep was impossible. It actually sounded as if the window was open so big was the gap around it.
The bath tap was broken. A maintenance man was sent up at once. My partner was unable to turn the tap on because the handle was missing and there was just a sharp spindle remaining. The man apologised, explained it happened all the time. And they got broken because people were confused: All of the taps had been put on the wrong way round and you had to turn them to hot for cold and vice versa.
The loo flush handle in room 318 was broken. The loo carried on flushing noisily unless you yanked the handle up after you had pushed it down and let it flush. I discovered this technique in the middle of the night when I went to the loo and got back into bed. After several minutes I decided that the noise wasn’t going to stop by itself.
There is no dining room or restaurant in this hotel. This is subbed out to TGI Friday, presumably by some kind of agreement. There is an internal door into TGIs. It is very noisy with loud music and full of revellers in the evening. It is impossibly noisy for us to eat in. How could Hilton attach its name to this? In TGIs, the staff were arrogant and unhelpful and avoided eye contact when we spoke them. It took a long time to get our bill. And then a long time to get our change. The reception staff in the hotel were similarly arrogant and unhelpful. It was almost as if they felt that they worked in a classy hotel!
Oh; the beds were comfortable and the pillows soft. And the location is good for the tourist areas. Credit where credit is due.

Room Tip: Keep away from 322!
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

My wife and I traveled to Memphis, TN for the wedding of our best friend's daughter. She was married on the rooftop of the Peabody Hotel however, that is a different review. We waited too late to make reservations at the Peabody so we booked a room at the Doubletree across the street from the Peabody. It is a nice hotel but things started badly.

I reserved a king size (bed) room and was disappointed to open the door to a room with two double beds. After a trip to the front desk I was informed that our reservation had been through Expedia and as such, we got the "leftovers" in the hotel, which was sold out for a nearby concert. I was disappointed in that I thought I was making a reservation directly with the hotel web site but shame on me. It was through Expedia. I was also informed that I would not receive my HIlton Honors points since I went through Expedia.

The hotel itself was well run with a lovely and well trained staff. However, room service was provided by TGI Friday's which was on premise. Food was okay but it is still a franchised restaurant with a predictable menu.

Valet parking was provided but I wanted to self park, which I did. However, it cost the same at $22.00 per day. Ingress and egress to the front door is very limited with a small turn in driveway which quickly becomes crowded as it did when we checked in with a pouring rain. Worse, all the smokers hang out in front of the hotel subjecting non-smoking patrons to second hand smoke on the way inside

The wedding and other ceremonies took place across the street at the venerable Peabody Hotel. If you have never stayed there, do yourself a favor and stay at the Peabody. It is a bit pricey but the Doubletree did not compare to the ambiance of the Peabody, especially when compared side by side as we did.

One redeeming element was the facade of the old hotel on that location. It has been recreated onside with accent lighting. When you first walk in the open lobby it is a bit surprising to see this old, brick facade staring you in the face. Although it did not take long to figure out what we were looking at, the hotel could have done a better job of presenting via informative plaques or signs how the facade had been preserved and recreated.

Overall, not a bad stay but it was basically very average compared to nicer properties.

Room Tip: Corner room has two nice daylight windows.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Atlanta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

This was a quick getaway trip we decided to take, b/c we've never been to Memphis. In the beginning, I was nervous b/c I booked the hotel on Hotwire. When I saw the hotel after paying, I felt a little better and began to read the reviews. We checked in and the young lady was very nice. They provided us with everything we needed. The room was clean and in order. It would be great if hotels cleaned the carpets more. Even though, the carpet was dark I could still see the stains. I double sanitize everything, so we were good. We loved that it was close to everything!

West Plains, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

First, I want to say that my husband and I are Hilton Honors members, so we definitely love most Hilton properties; however, sometimes some hotels are better than others. This particular Hilton DoubleTree Hotel is fabulous! We were treated like royalty upon arriving at the hotel. The valet service was extremely polite and accommodating, the bellhop was kind and hospitable, the front desk clerk was just a sweetheart, not to mention extremely fast, and then, of course, the bedding in all Hilton properties is so amazing that I have purchased them for my home! Everything was exceptionally clean and fresh. One of the fabulous perks is that it only takes a few minutes of walking time to get to Beale St. in order to enjoy all the blues music (a very safe walk, I might add). It is close to loads of eating places and other entertainment, as well. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and will stay here every time we visit Memphis, TN!

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Memphis Downtown? Share your experiences!