“Great hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Breakfast & WiFi
Ranked #30 of 134 Hotels in Memphis
“Great hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2012

This is a great hotel that is convenient and walking distance to Beal street and a lot of downtown attractions.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
World
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2012

I wanted to book this property at the wedding group rate. I left a message for the "Group Sales" person. She never called me back so I ended up paying much more than the group rate ($174 per night). The room was disgusting. There was gunk on the "work desk", a dirty cleaning rag left on the floor in the bathroom, no chair to sit at the work desk, no luggage stand (had to live out of a suitcase on the floor). The bed was OK but I didn't sleep at all for the two nights I was there because whenever the air conditioner compressor kicked in it sounded like a bomb going off. I had the choice of sweating in the heat or lying awake anticipating the "bomb". The coffee machine was broken and there was water in it that who knows how long it had been in there. There were loud noises in the halls all night and absolutely no security - anyone could walk in the lobby then walk to the room elevators at will with no scrutiny whatsoever. After coming back from the wedding at about 11:30PM the valet parking was backed up on the street. We waited, waited and waited in our car for an attendant to start moving cars. This was a Saturday night in downtown Memphis in May. It turns out that there was only one valet parking employee on staff during one of the busiest nights in the downtown area.

Avoid this place if at all possible!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Ghee A, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Memphis Downtown, responded to this review, May 23, 2012
A clean room with functioning appliances and comfortable temperatures are a basic expectation of a good stay. I am terribly sorry for the experience that you had.
I have shared your comments with my entire Team so that we can effectively address all the issues you have shared with us so others are not as disappointed as you were.
All our rooms are have luggage racks in the closets and desk chairs. We have had 3 security guards on duty each weekend night in May(Fri & Sat) and one guard on duty during the day time. I hope you will give us another opportunity the next time you are in Memphis, so that you can experience our commitment to service and guest satisfaction. Thanks again for taking the time to share your experience with us.
Rancho Mirage, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2012

Staff was very friendly, but did not follow through on a number of requests. We originally booked their corner suite with a sofa bed only to arrive to find out that their sofa bed was not to be found. We then ordered a roll away bed to be brought up which they confirmed... it never showed up even after 3 calls. In the final call at 11:30 PM they said that they ran out of the roll away beds that afternoon. We had to put our son up in another hotel for the night. The next day after 2 more calls they finally showed up with roll away... the bad news is that the frame was broken. We also had problems with a leaking toilet on the floor and a broken toilet seat in the other bathroom. Have had better experiences..If it was not for the friendly staff I would not be able to recommend this hotel at all.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Ghee A, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Memphis Downtown, responded to this review, May 16, 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to post comments regarding your recent stay with us. am terribly sorry that you had to call down 3 times to request a rollaway. Please know that I am diligently working with the Team to ensure that others don't have the same experience as you did. Guest satisfaction is very important to me and I profusely apologize for letting you down. I hope that your travels bring you back to Memphis soon so that you can experience our commitment to Guest satisfaction.
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2012

Right next to the Peabody -- and about $100 less per night -- this is where we went to celebrate Mothers' Day -- mostly because we could get smoking rooms. The staff were friendly and extremely efficient. Bellman had the luggage up almost as soon as the room was assigned. Car was out of valet in about three minutes anytime we needed it. Front desk was great. Rooms just a tad worn but nothing objectionable. Rooms are spacious. The location is splendid. Beale Street, which we visited just as soon as we had checked in late on Sunday afternoon. Memphis is quite a wonderful city to visit and the Doubletree downtown is within quick walking distance of not only Beale Street but the restaurant and bar laden Main Street as well as the river front. Supported by easy to use trolleys, such cultural sites as the Civil Rights Museum AND the baseball park are very easy to visit. Of course we stepped into the Peabody (a cultural site in and of itself) but the Doubletree is not a bad choice at all and we will come again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2012

Across the street from the Peabody hotel and the baseball park, 2 blocks from Beale Street. Upon arriving the staff is always at the door greeting. In fact every staff member we ran into was friendly and helpful. The lobby is huge and in the evenings there was a jazz pianists which was a special touch. The rooms are small but adequate. TGIFridays is connected but we never ate there as there were so many great options in walking distances. The only thing is the valet parking was outrageously expensives, $22 a night and we were never told of any other options.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Mississippi
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2012

Redbirds baseball was going on. Lots of music playing on Beale Street. Memphis in May was about to start. Went to a concert at Minglewood and the staff was very accommodating with cabs and valet parking. Check in was delightful. Staff was really nice. Now doing a cocktail hour in the lobby. Pool area was closed, which was unexpected.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you so much for your wonderful comments regarding your recent stay with us. Our outdoor pool is open from Memorial Day until Labor day. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel the next time you are in Memphis.
Alabama
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2012

I stayed in this hotel for a conference, thank goodness I had enough points not to pay for it because it is not worth price.

Pros:
A mostly friendly staff
Location, Location, Location
Comfortable bed
Nice size rooms
Flat Screen TV

Cons:
Some of the staff - see below
Security latch in my room was broken and never fixed as asked
The extra pillow and towel I requested was never delivered
The walls were paper thin (I could hear Beale Street Saturday night and could hear my neighbors phone ring. Every time they closed their bathroom door it felt like their was an earthquake.)
The Thermostat didn't work consistently
The carpet felt old and dirty
Black out curtains were from the 80s I think that are way too small

- Upon arrival, I had a very nice lady check me in. Since the hotel was apart of the conference, she was able to tell me where to go and how to get there. She even gave me a full color map. Well, I still had to get some things from my car before I valeted it and I accidentally left the map in my trunk. Instead of causing a big problem with the valet, I thought I would just stop by the front desk to grab another map, I mean it had only maybe 30 minutes since I got the first map so should be simple. No so simple unfortunately. The lady who had first checked me in was not at the desk and the new lady, was....uninformed. I told her I was with the conference. She didn't know what I was talking about. I told her you know the conference, that is on the sign right there. (There was a huge sign in the lobby welcoming the conference members) She still didn't know what I was talking about. Then I said its at the conference center. So she gave me very brief directions. "OH just go up a block and hop in the trolley" Ok...what is my stop, which way do I need to go. Points, "That way". Me., "Can I just get a map?" her "What map?" So you get where this is going. After more of this, she finally gives me a map, but doesn't bother to point out where the conference center is. So I ask, silly me. Her "The trolley will drop you off." Me: "How far is it?" Her: "A mile give or take." A mile? I am not going to take the trolley to go a mile. It was a beautiful cool day. I ask her again where is the conference center and we go back and forth several times. I finally spell it out for her, "Ok listen, I am not taking the trolley as I have already said several times to go a mile. Where is the conference center? I am not taking the trolley." Her:"Why ain't you taking the trolley?" ME: "Its only a mile." Her: "Yeah its a mile so why would you want to walk that far?" Seriously? SERIOUSLY??? OMG. Me: "Its a beautiful day and I want to enjoy it." She rolls her eyes and gives me directions. This all lasted 10-15 minutes!!!!

After I check in at the conference, and complete the orientation, I head back to my hotel. That is when I notice the security latch is broke. I am meeting-up with some colleagues so I thought I would just stop by the front desk on my way out. I know, I know fool me once...and all that. Any way, the manager is at the front desk this time so I tell her the latch is broken and I give permission for maintenance to enter my room. She said it would be fixed immediately. Several hours later I return to the hotel. The latch is still broke and remained broke during my entire 4 day stay.

Room Tip: Rooms on the same side as the elevators have a view of Beale Street and it is super noisy. Also, if...