“Good prices + very good service at the restaurant” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Crowne Plaza Memphis East

You added Crowne Plaza Memphis East to your Saves list
Crowne Plaza Memphis East
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   2625 Thousand Oaks Boulevard, Memphis, TN 38118 (Formerly Hotel Memphis)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #58 of 134 Hotels in Memphis
Liege, Belgium
“Good prices + very good service at the restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012

Very good location close to the airport. Good food + great service at the restaurant!

Room Tip: Very quite 14th level.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

When we learned that our return flight home from our vacation was cancelled, and that we were "stranded" in Memphis, the disappointment was there. But the airlines arranged lodging for us at this outstanding property..What a gem!!...close to everything...and you still get the "top of the line hotel" experience..The drivers, wait staff, front desk, even the engineering staff were equally friendly and helpful. Your property made our family feel as if we were visiting "other distant relatives" who went all out to impress us!!! I would strongly encourage anyone who is contemplating visiting Memphis, stay here...it's a true value option...and the restaurant (and other adjacent dining options...the hotel will drive you!!) are first class as well. Kudos to the manager, and team.

Room Tip: the hotel is very quiet....and away from the main thouroughfare...ask for a room facing the interior...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Salt Lake City, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

Truly enjoyed our stay. Facilities outstanding and the staff could not have been nicer. Went out of their way to make us feel like family. Highly recommend

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Nashville, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2012

My wife and I stayed at this property our honeymoon night. The reason we chose this property was the airport shuttle. Although we did not stay more than 5 hours in the hotel. From my experience, it fit the bill. We stayed on the top floor and the bed in our room was awesome. My only issue with the hotel was the lack of cold water. I know this sounds unusual, I assure you a warm shower is great, a scolding hot shower, not so much. Due to the age of the hotel, I am sure this was just a maintenance issue. I would stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Louisville, KY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2012

The good:
Very friendly and accommodating staff. Good gold member lounge on 14th floor for breakfast and evening snacks.

Gym is nice and outfitted with quality equipment that is all in good working order.

Rooms are comfortable and pleasant.

The Bad:
The entire lobby smelled like sewer from the first day to the last (Mon-Wed).

Drinks in the hotel bar are overpriced such as $7.75 for a Jack & Coke.

If you wander outside of the 8' metal fence that surrounds the entire hotel, I would suggest being heavily armed.

As with many places, it's the staff that made this place a good experience.

• Stayed May 2012
Sunset Hills, Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2012

Recently stayed at the Memphis Marriot East and while the hotel and staff tries to be good, they aren't quite up to par. First the rooms, as others have stated, old tube TV's with limited channels is out-of-date, and this is just an example. 0.85 per minute to use a computer in the business center? Are you kidding me? Ordered 2 drinks in the bar (call brands) and handed a bill for $30? Are you kidding me? We got a very good weekend rate here, but felt like they just tried to make it up with the other prices. I have recently stayed in Drury and Hampton Inns and the rooms were as nice or better than this Marriot. Plus, they had free hot breakfast and free happy hour in the evening. Because of the high bar price I stopped in the local grocery store to buy some goods, it had armed guards at the door. The liquor store nearby I tried had all the bottles with the cashier behind bullet-proof glass. After dark you will not want to leave this protected compound of a hotel. The staff tried to be nice, but would guess they were all too inexperienced to really be great. This hotel really seems to be operating on a time frame of 10-20 years ago and needs a upgrade to 2012 standards.

Room Tip: You may get a cheap rate, but EVERYTHING else here is way overpriced.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Lincoln City, Oregon
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2012

I spend from one-third to one-half of my life in hotels, some of which are disappointing, but my experience in this hotel gave me a whole new perspective on what disappointing looks and feels like. Please understand that the hotel had reasons to keep me happy. I was there to present a two-day program in their meeting and banquet area. My company was renting the meeting room and AV equipment, buying lunches for almost 30 people and offering an open bar to the attendees in the evening as well as generating business for the hotel from a number of people who came to the program from out of the area.

My flight arrived after 9 p.m. and the hotel did not have a room saved for me, despite having my reservation. Instead of a sleeping room, they gave me a meeting room to sleep in, telling me that I would love it because it was big and had a dining table in it. It did have a dining table large enough to seat six people comfortably. Unfortunately, it didn't even have a real bed. There was a small Murphy bed they had pulled down out of a piece of furniture. I am not tall, by any definition of tall, but the bed was so short that when I lied down on it may feet hung over the lower edge. But it was late and there were no other rooms, plus I was tired, so I unpacked and got ready for bed.

The room had a "bar" area and I soon realized that the wretched stench in the room was coming from there. Under the bar where I found a large trash can stuffed with recently emptied beer bottles. The previous occupants of this room had partied big time. I called down to the main desk and asked to have the trash removed. When a maid did arrive, she had not been told why she was there and was shocked at the mess. She removed it.

When I decided to go to bed, I discovered that the so-called bed had a sheet on it, but no blanket. I called downstairs again and after a while the same maid showed up at my door with a narrow coverlet--the kind that hotels lay across the bottoms of beds to make the bed look fancy. I tried to cover myself with this, but despite the fact that the bed was narrower than a single bed, the coverlet would not reach from side to side. I called back down and asked for a real blanket. The maid eventually showed up with a very thin comforter. Still no blanket. She could not locate a real blanket. In a hotel!

Because this room was a meeting room, not a bedroom, it had two doors. The gaps between and under these doors were huge, letting in a surprising amount of light from the hallway. I got very very little sleep that night.

If you are unfortunate to have to stay there, I'm fairly certain you will not be shunted into this same room, but the very fact that the hotel would allow this to happen to a guest with commercial value speaks volumes about their basic incompetence. I can assure you they are capable of finding some way to surprise you with a level of inconvenience you have never seen before.

Room Tip: Tip: stay anywhere else.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business

Been to Crowne Plaza Memphis East? Share your experiences!