“Great improvement over the old Memphis Marriott” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Memphis Marriott East

You added Memphis Marriott East to your Saves list
Memphis Marriott East
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   5795 Poplar Ave., Memphis, TN 38119 (Formerly Holiday Inn Select Memphis-East Poplar & I-240)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Stay for Breakfast
Ranked #24 of 134 Hotels in Memphis
San Francisco, California
“Great improvement over the old Memphis Marriott”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

I have worked in Memphis for the past three years and use to say at their old place on Thousand Oaks. This was such an improvement. Beautiful rooms, nice lobby and lobby bar, pleasant and professional staff. The room I had, had a very large shower (however i do like soaking in a bathtub at the end of a long day - so I missed that). They have a airport shuttle and will take you anywhere within 5 miles of the hotel. Next time I am there to work, I won't need to rent a car!

Room Tip: If your business is nearby, don't rent a car - use their airport and nearby shuttle service.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Greg L, General Manager at Memphis Marriott East, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Good Afternoon ReginaPhelps,

I am happy to hear we have a new loyal Marriott customer from the former Thousand Oaks property now staying with us.

We are very fortunate to have the newest Marriott full service hotel in the Mid-South. Our location is fantastic and as you mentioned shuttle service to our airport as well as a five mile radius of the property here in East Memphis.

Lastly I wanted you to know we still have tubs in our rooms with two beds so you may not have to miss the relaxation you need after a long day!

Thank you for reviewing our hotel and for choosing Marriott.

greg.lindner@interstatehotels.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

Jeremy had a very bad attitude!! Not as friendly!!! Everyone have those moments but he need learn how to separate it from his work.. Hotel was very nice and clean but the night manager she was very friendly

• Stayed September 2013
Greg L, General Manager at Memphis Marriott East, responded to this review, September 15, 2013
Dear Jblue87,

I appreciate the candid review and 5 star rating albeit its very troubling to hear that the service and behaviors were less than hospitable.

We are fortunate to have a great team of dedicated Hosts and our bar team typically gets great comments. If you would be kind enough to contact me offline I hope to learn more about this visit..

Thank you for the kind words on our Night Manager and I would equally like to understand more about the excellent interaction you had with her.

Please let me know and convenient time to give you a call or converse via email.

Memphis, Tennessee
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

Well, I'm guessing all the employees run this hotel. Management was no where to be found. The front desk agents needed assistance with getting me checked in but come to find out, there was no front desk manager on schedule the whole weekend. To be honest this makes no sense how there are only two people working and they are front desk agents. You would typically expect people to call in on them but this was clearly out of their hands. This is the worst hotel experience I've ever had in my 28 years of living...The two front desk agents definitely need some sort of raise because they didn't bulk under pressure. Check-in time is at 3pm and there were NO rooms ready at three and clearly this was NOT the front desk agents fault. Your service is HORRIBLE and I will NO longer do business with you guys. Some sort of disciplinary action needs to be taken upon the management...this is one of the busiest weekends in Memphis and your management decided they wanted to take a freaking vacation...I mean who does that??? I ended up going to the Extended Stay and my stay was indeed wonderful!! Maybe you guys should take some freaking pointers from them!!! HOPE YOUR MANAGEMENT TEAM ENJOYED THEIR FREAKING VACATION BECAUSE I DID NOT ENJOY MINE...JERKS!!!!!

Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Hello Caledia N,

I am very disappointed to hear that your experience was not acceptable. We did in fact have at least three managers on duty this past Saturday September 14th.

It would be great to hear more details concerning your check in experience and I welcome the opportunity to discuss this with you personally.

My contact information is below.

Nashville, TN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

This place is beautiful and elegant in every way! It is sparkly, clean, ornate, and comfortable beyond measure. What used to be the Downtown Marriott in Memphis lost the Marriott Badge ... well, Memphis Marriott East picked up its Badge while maintaining its own. The colors and decor catch the eye at every turn. The furnishings are modern and appealing. And there is true HD TV!

The staff of this Marriott are always splendid. They go out of their way. The van driver that has been there every Sunday evening (which is when I often stay there) has the most wonderful personality and he aims to please (I believe his name is Lewis or Louie?).

The entire property is quite and relaxing. The open bar area downstairs is oh so lovely.

Going to Memphis? Unless you just want to be in the heart of downtown ... THIS IS THE PLACE TO STAY!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Greg L, General Manager at Memphis Marriott East, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
Hello davidki,

This is a fantastic review and surely makes our team and owners proud. We are fortunate to have a totally reinvented Marriott Hotel here in East Memphis.

The design, color palette and functionality is what our brand and owners envisioned. Although the hotel is less than a year old it is our dedicated team of hosts that make our location excellent. I will share your kind remarks with my bell services team.

Thanks for choosing Marriott and my hotel.

Mandeville, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013 via mobile

I'm a platinum Marriott Rewards Member. This hotel was surprisingly higher end than your normal Marriott property. The platinum lounge was first class, rooms were very updated, and they were able to accommodate a last minute reservation. Overall 5-stars! One more thing, I wish all Marriotts would upgrade their door locking system to the one utilized at this property. You never have to remove the key from the paper sleeve which is extremely nice. Simply slide it in front of the reader and presto, the door unlocks. Small details that make it easier on the 5-day a week traveler. Thanks Marriott!

• Stayed September 2013
Greg L, General Manager at Memphis Marriott East, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
Hello CarlisleC3,

I am extremely pleased to hear how much you enjoyed the brand new accomodations we have here in East Memphis. The ownership group gave us a remarkable next Generation hotel that our dedicated team of Hosts are proud of.

The door locking system is also best in class and makes for a convenient and safe experience for our team and every guest. Thank you for also experiencing our Concierge Lounge and we appreciate your loyalty to the Marriott brands.

I hope you can always call our hotel your home away from home when traveling to the MidSouth!

Safe Travels!

Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

Warmly greeted by bellman as we pulled into hotel and again as we entered the beautiful lobby by the front desk staff. Hotel has been decorated tastefully with contemporary colors and cozy furniture. The lobby bar is inviting and the local beer cold on tap!!! Great for a hot long day of driving in from Knoxville. Even the bar food was tasty.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade especially on a weekend. Corner rooms are spacious.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Greg L, General Manager at Memphis Marriott East, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
Dear sitto31146,

Thank you so much for the tremendous testimonial on our totally refurbished hotel here in East Memphis.
I am very fortunate to have a warm and gracious team of hosts for every guest.
The new Greatroom concept you experienced in our lobby allows for big open spaces and excellent furnishings that are all interchangeable.
It sounds like you also enjoyed Memphis's own Ghost River products at our bar.

We look forward to another visit from you soon!

Best Regards,

Jacksonville, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

When my boss told me about a free trip to Memphis I agreed wholeheartedly. I just didn't know what I was getting into.
Thanks to our hosts from FedEx the trip was nothing short of spectacular! We were booked at, what appeared to be, a hotel in the middle of nowhere. But it was in the middle of convenience. I was able to go to Target just across the street and didn't feel threatened by the crazy traffic.
The room was huge. The bed was super comfy. The shower was amazing. The Internet service was fast. I wish I had brought my swimsuit to try the pool.
If ever I make it back to Memphis I will definitely go back there.

• Stayed June 2013
Hello Marc32275Jax,

It's great to hear your trip to Memphis exceeded your expectations. We are fortunate to have a great location which can get you just about anywhere in Memphis within 20 minutes.

This totally refurbished Marriott hotel opened just 10 months ago and we have been given the newest product in the market. I am happy to hear your experiences were fantastic and we look forward to hosting you again soon!