“Beware of car break-ins in the parking lot” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Memphis Marriott East

You added Memphis Marriott East to your Saves list
Memphis Marriott East
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   5795 Poplar Ave., Memphis, TN 38119 (Formerly Holiday Inn Select Memphis-East Poplar & I-240)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
FREE Wi-Fi
Ranked #22 of 134 Hotels in Memphis
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Novato, California
“Beware of car break-ins in the parking lot”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

Although the hotel is nice and the staff is fantastic, the hotel has a recurring problem with car break-ins that management is not properly addressing. The night of our stay, my car and six others were broken into at 4AM. According to the Memphis Police Department, it is not the first time and will not be the last until hotel management makes certain obvious corrections. (Security cameras would be a good start...) Memphis PD did note other high end hotels in Memphis are having the same problem, so take your valuables to your room with you!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Greg L, General Manager at Memphis Marriott East, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Hello alansaun,

Thank you for taking time to review my hotel concerning last weeks stay here in Memphis. We do have a fantastic location and great people.

It is worth mentioning that the hotel does in fact have surveillance equipment as well as security coverage everyday. Since your visit we have already added additional officers and will be taking other measures to enhance our presence as well as partnership with the Memphis Police.

We take all our guests safety and security very seriously and will continue to do so.

I am also happy to discuss any additional concerns off line that may not have been covered last week.

greg.lindner@interstatehotels.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Louisville, KY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

I've traveled to Memphis for many years, and this hotel is exactly what this area of town needed. The hotel is nice and clean (it's a renovated Holiday Inn, but feels new). Gym is great. Concierge lounge is above average. I didn't eat in the restaurant, but I sat at the bar for a drink and it was nice. Regarding the previous negative reviews regarding the service, I didn't experience bad service anywhere inside the hotel. It isn't the Four Seasons, but employees were greeting me and saying hello all over the place. Maybe they read the previous reviews and listened, to which they deserve a lot of credit. The only slight negative for a first-timer at this hotel could be the quirky way you must enter and exit this hotel from Poplar Ave. Once you figure it out it isn't a big deal.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Greg L, General Manager at Memphis Marriott East, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Good Morning KUDLOW4PRESIDENT,

This review makes for a nice start to my day. Thank you very much for the review and recognition for my hotel here in East Memphis.

We are very fortunate to have a totally reinvented and rebranded property. We sit on a little island,(minus the water) right on I-240 and Poplar which allows great access anywhere however is quite tricky during the recontruction of our interchange.

Please come again soon and safe travels!

Houston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

I have stayed at several of the Marriott family hotels in Memphis over the years. This Marriott is great! It has been completely updated and renovated. There is ample parking, there is a concierge level and it is in a nice neighborhood near most attractions and restaurants. The rooms are large with all the standard amenities. The staff is very helpful. In future trips to Memphis, I will exclusively stay at this hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Greg L, General Manager at Memphis Marriott East, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
Good Afternoon Kimborkr,

Thank you for recognizing my hotel on your recent stay in Memphis. We are very fortunate to have a totally remodeled Marriott hotel with a fantastic location.

The best part is our warm hospitable team of dedicated Hosts!

Please come again soon when your travels bring you back to Tennessee!

Best Regards,

Dallas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

This hotel appears to be fairly new. The facilities are very nice and the location is great if you need to be in East Memphis.

However, the service from the majority of the staff is not very good. I checked in late on a Sunday evening and several of us had to wait for the front desk staff to resolve a guest related issue. The front desk is not the appropriate place for the discussion.

The attention to detail in the rooms is also lacking - no shampoo and no bottled water.

I hope the management team addresses the service issue. They have an opportunity to leverage a great property.

Room Tip: I would recommend a room on the Concierge level.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Greg L, General Manager at Memphis Marriott East, responded to this review, August 9, 2013
Good Morning demetgolf,

I appreciate you recognizing the fantastic redevelopment of this hotel. We are very fortunate to have the newest Marriott full service hotel in the market.

This however really gets overlooked and frankly does not matter when we are unable to deliver BRILLIANT service as your hosts on any visit. I sincerely apologize your room was not adequately supplied and that our team was less than 100% for your arrival.

Please call me personally off line so we can discuss further in detail. Thank you for your loyalty to the Marriott brand.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

I have been staying at this hotel almost every week (m-th) for 4 months. I have tried several of the Hilton and marriott hotels in the area and have found this hotel to be the best overall.

The best assert of this hotel, by far, is Sandra. She works every night in the Concierge Lounge and makes all the guests feel like they are her family. When you live on the road it is nice to be welcomed for dinner by name (I don't know how she remembers everyone's names!!). She never lets you lift a finger and always has a smile on her face. If there was an employee of the year at marriott, I think Sandra deserves it!

The rooms at the hotel are newly decorated and very clean. I have never had any trouble with my room at all.

The bigger area if improvement is the restaurant. The restaurant across the street at the Hilton blows this restaurant out if the park. Room service has "lost" my food on several occasions and by the time it was delivered it was cold. The dishes never seem to match the ingredients on the menu and differ from visit to visit for the same dish! The service in the restaurant is often very slow and takes a long time to get drinks and food. I have received some attitude from one of the bartenders as well.

I would recommend anyone stay at this hotel if you are in the area. Be sure to visit the concierge lounge--just plan to eat meals elsewhere!

• Stayed July 2013
Greg L, General Manager at Memphis Marriott East, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Good Afternoon Katie M,

I appreciate the very detailed and candid review of my Marriott here in East Memphis. Thank you for your loyalty to the brand and this hotel specifically.

Sandra is a gem and we are fortunate to have her on our team. This is not the first time she has been lauded for her gracious hospitality. I will be sure to mention this review to her today and recognize her publicly as well. Our housekeeping team also works very hard to give great rooms.

On another note it is very disappointing to hear the inconsistencies in food quality in our restaurant as well as room service. The service levels are equally troubling and I can understand how this makes for a less than stellar experience.

If possible I would like to speak off line concerning the bartender whose behavior was not acceptable.

Please come again soon and hopefully I can meet you personally the next visit.

D (901)896-3787
Saint Louis, Missouri
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

Very nice Marriott hotel. The rooms and lobby look brand new! However, there is an additional fee for in-room Internet access that I did not discover until check-in. When I questioned this fee, I had a very bad experience with the front desk supervisor. More importantly, there was a party going in the room directly across the hall. Management was notified of this just past midnight but the noise continued until at least 3AM. If the service had been consistent with other Marriott hotels, this would have been a 3 to 4 star review.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Greg L, General Manager at Memphis Marriott East, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Good Afternoon Charles F,

I want to thank you for taking time to review my Marriott here in East Memphis. As you mentioned we have a beautiful new hotel just reopened last November after a total transformation. The Marriott Full Service brand does charge for WIFI in all areas of our hotels except for the lobby. Our Marriott Rewards program does provide for complimentary wireless for all Gold and Platinum members.

I am however very interested in talking off line concerning your experience with my Front Desk Supervisor and the follow up on a noise complaint. We should be dealing with any noise complaint quickly and at any time of the day or night.

Please let me know by phone or email a convenient time that we can discuss your experience.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

Not all Concierge Lounges are created equal...and the difference usually comes down to the caliber of the people running them. My sense is that good Concierge Lounge hostesses are hospitable people off the job as well as when they are on the clock, that they enjoy having company in their home and caring for them there as well as at the hotel, and that this is part of what makes them so good at what they do. As a result, they have a knack for making people on a business trip or vacation feel at home. Susan at the Memphis Marriott East is a perfect example. When we walked into the Concierge Lounge here this morning, my wife turned to me and said, "I didn't remember this hotel, but do I remember her - how nice she was on our previous visit!"

The first time we stayed here on a road trip from Dallas to Louisville last winter around the Christmas and New Year holidays, Candis, a server in the restaurant; Darrell at the front desk, along with the African-American woman working with him (sorry I did not catch her name); and the housekeeper on the 9th floor on Sunday morning (sorry I did not catch her name either), were all especially gracious.

I understand that this property used to be owned by another chain before someone local bought it and turned it into a Marriott. All I have to say to them is, "Keep hiring these kinds of people and your hotel will quickly become the destination of choice for anyone traveling to or through Memphis!" It's clean, modern, comfortable, well located, and very well run - everything we expect from a Marriott! Fresh roasted pecans on my oatmeal were the icing on the cake...:)

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Greg L, General Manager at Memphis Marriott East, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Good Day PasterMarkB,

Thank you so much for a fabulous testimonial on our hotel. I am so fortunate here in East Memphis to have a dedicated and so talented team. Hospitality is our business but attentiveness takes it to the next level.

Our owners have provided a superior product and team members like Susan, Darrell, Candis, etc., really make the difference.

We will keep serving great oatmeal and maybe even have walnuts next visit!

Please come again and I will be sure to recognize our team personally.

D(901)896-3787

Been to Memphis Marriott East? Share your experiences!