“Way understaffed” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Sheraton Memphis Downtown Hotel

You added Sheraton Memphis Downtown Hotel to your Saves list
Sheraton Memphis Downtown Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   250 N Main St, Memphis, TN 38103 (Formerly Memphis Marriott Downtown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #35 of 134 Hotels in Memphis
Biddeford, Maine
“Way understaffed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

I was recently in Memphis attending a conference and stayed at the Sheraton Memphis Downtown. Nice hotel, decent prices but way understaffed. Got there after 3 pm and room was not ready until after 5. Went to the bar for a bite to eat, one bartender and one server who, although very nice were overwhelmed by customers. Bellmen were somewhat disorganized as they did not have tags to put on luggage that needed to be stored until the room was ready. They used blue masking tape (I will give them an A for being innovative and using what they had at hand.) I think this could very easily be a better than average hotel if they just hired and trained more staff in all areas.

Green Features: They did provide separate trash receptacles for trash and recyclables.
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled on business
Dan P, Manager at Sheraton Memphis Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, yesterday
Hello Richard L.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the delay you had in getting into your room. Sometimes we have large groups that check-out late and it puts us behind for that 3pm check-in time. Most of the time it is flawless. I will also send this review over to the Food & Beverage Manager to review with the team so that we can focus on getting better. It's all about taking care of our guest and I truly appreciate your feedback. Thanks for the review and for staying with us. I hope you will give us another opportunity in the future.
Warm Regards,
Dan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW via mobile

The downtown Memphis Sheraton was exceptional. The service, cashiers, valet, and all in between were friendly, kind and loving. Really enjoyed my time in Memphis. The hotel is in prime location.

Valet member Camron Smith was one of the best I have ever had.

Stayed April 2015, traveled on business
Dear Sir Hodge,
It was our pleasure to provide you with an exceptional experience and I thank you for staying with us and taking the time to write this review on Trip Advisor! I am excited to share this one with the team. I will also give special recognition to Camron Smith for a job well done. Come back and stay with us again if you are ever in the Memphis area.
Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

I'm late in writing this review from my stay in September 2015 on a business trip. However, my experience was so poor that our standard joke about any hotel is "at least it's not the Memphis Sheraton". First, we arrived later in the evening. There was no parking and no valet. One of us ran inside to the desk to ask for the valet. It took him a few minutes to arrive, but he was friendly and helpful. That was the ONLY friendly and helpful employee I encountered at this hotel. The hotel was under construction, so the lobby was confusing and the service desks in area not directly accessible. The desk clerk that I had just asked about a valet, and who I told we would be checking in, looked up as I approached the desk. I saw him quickly click a few keystrokes before addressing me. I asked to check in, he told me that he had just closed the day, and it would take 20 minutes before he could check me in. HE SAW ME APPROACHING WHEN HE DID THIS! Of course, being under construction, there was no place to sit while we waited to check in. We stood in the adjacent hall (in sight line of the desk). The clerk never did let us know we could check in, I had to come and ask again. When I finally got to our room, I was pleased. A very nice, well accomodated room. Until I undressed and pulled back the sheets to discover DIRTY LINENS. I won't even explain what I saw that made me realize they had not been changed. Just awful. I called the front desk, and he offered to change our room. I explained that it was late, and we had unpacked, and just requested clean sheets. They finally brought some up to me - 3 hours later. I took the sheets, to change the linens on the bed myself, and crawled into bed. An hour later, someone knocked on my door - with more clean sheets. Ridiculously absurd. Add to this the need to wander around the hotel looking for the improvised dining area where you could observe construction while you ate the overpriced breakfast. I certainly came away feeling that the Sheraton was deliberately unaware that patrons were being inconvenienced. I will commend that the manager on duty the next morning did comp my room. Still, overall, I doubt if I would give this hotel another chance. Just a shame.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled on business
Dan P, Manager at Sheraton Memphis Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, 2 days ago
Dear Debby S.,

Please accept my sincere apologies for terrible experience you had during your stay. We strive to be the best hotel in Memphis and I'm so sorry we did not deliver our best to you. Things were a little hectic with the renovation, but that is no excuse for lousy service and dirty linens. I"m so glad that our manager on duty took care of you while you were on property. I wish you could experience the hotel now! There is no doubt that we have a fabulous product and a staff that is genuinely hospitable and ready to serve. Thank you so much for the review as it helps us identify areas of the hotel that need improvement. I think we've made great strides since your stay in September 2014.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW via mobile

Booked this hotel through a blind Priceline bid on very short notice, and was initially a little bummed when I saw where I had been placed (what with some of the terrible reviews on yelp and this site.) However- I had an awesome stay! Room had two queen-size beds, had Starbucks coffee and a decent view, and was very clean. That bed was a dream after our road trip! Also, we got in at 11 and walked a little less than a mile to get some late night food (former New Yorkers- we don't bat an eye at a 15 minute walk) and there were a few good places still serving late on a Monday night. We took an Uber back after our meal since it was getting late, and it was only $4. About the parking- we did not want to pay for the $22 valet service and found a few metered spaces on Exchange St. It was free overnight and we just ran out to put a dollar in at 8 AM when it started. I wouldn't count on getting one of those spaces on a weekend but it saved us money on a quick overnight stay! Front desk was very nice at check-in and Tervon (sp?) directed us to the hotel restaurant or other closer spots before we decided to be slightly more adventurous. One of the reasons I wanted to take the time to write this is my boyfriend has worked in hotels for years, and also enjoyed his stay. We can't usually splurge on 3.5+ star hotels and have had not-so-great luck with Priceline before. We only wish we could have stayed at this Sheraton a little longer!

Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Hello Sarah City Mouse,

I'm glad that we pleasantly surprised you! I know that we are not perfect and that we will get a bad review from time to time, which is expected. We service thousands of guests on a weekly basis and I can honestly say that 99.9% of them are happy with their experience at the hotel. I'm so glad we delivered a great experience for you and who knows...you may get lucky again on Priceline as we do offer discounts from time to time. Thanks for recognizing Teron...he is one of our best and I will be sure to share this review with him. Have a great day.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We had a good stay at this hotel, the location is great since it's located downtown, we had a nice room, two comfortable twin beds and a nice view of that small park outside the hotel, I just wished they put more complimentary water bottles in the room since there are two adults and one baby and yet we only got one water bottle. FYI this hotel doesn't have any parking available, it's only valet, that was disappointing cause we wanted to take our car and cruise downtown but we didn't want to pay every time we give our car for valet, it cost $22 for valet parking plus you also got to tip them. So we took the bus (tourists normally do that) to go to Beale St. and it cost $1 one way. The check out was fast and hassle-free but I just noticed that once the guys got their tips, they didn't even try to help my husband put our stuff at the back of our truck, one guy was acting like he was helping though but that was it. The staff were friendly though in general.

Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Dear Lea June M.

I'm so glad to read that you had a good stay with us. I am going to forward your review to our parking manager as it is disturbing that the valet staff would not assist with luggage after receiving a tip. That is just not acceptable. Our parking is $22.00 per night with in and out priviledges all day long - there is no addtional fee for that and I always tell my guests tip if you receive excellent service...if not...then no tip! I hope you will stay with us again in the future.
All the Best,
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We are from New York City and thought we were going to a safe and welcoming hotel. We were not welcomed when we arrived and treated like the civil rights era was still ongoing. The staff did not care to help us feel welcome. The bell desk was empty and we had to track someone down to help us. The whole city is a dump along with many of the street bums. I'm a chef whom travelled here with my two children and wife from the city. I can't tell you how sorry I am to not have researched this hell hole of a city before taking my two small children here to be exposed to the homeless dangerous bums on every corner and in between. We were told by many on TA and the hotel reps that we could access the busses "right in front of the hotel for just $1.00". What a laugh! Not really! There were creepers{Homeless sicko bums) everywhere you turned. Even in front of this hotel. We did not wait for just a short fifteen, twenty minutes, we waited about a half hour to forty five minutes every time we ventured to the so called famed Beale Street. We were approached every two to three minutes even with our children. They were threatening and didn't care if we ignored them. They followed us, sometimes in packs. We tried to see if we could duck into a local business but there were none open for business. Every one of them was closed because this is a very dangerous city. If you think you are going to find wholesome things here,think again! Bums and more bums that want to rip you off and possibly hurt you. The whole city has a permit to carry a hand gun. So, the bums will ask you where you are from so that they can see if you are a local. If you are from out of town, they will know you are not carrying a firearm so they think you are game for them to rob you. Go to Virtual Tourist.com and you will see the posts form people whom consider this a very bad place to go. Spend your money elsewhere. It was like being with a bunch of zombies. Hotel had homeless people in there and it is not what you would expect.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled with family
Dan P, Manager at Sheraton Memphis Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear Moses G.

I am so sorry to read that you had a terrible experience in Memphis and that you were bothered by so many homeless people. I am going to forward your review to the Major as he needs to be aware that these individuals are preying on our tourists. As far as your experience inside the hotel, that is bothersome to me as we strive to provide excellent service and accommodations for every guest. Please call me at 901-214-3717 so I can get some details on who you are and who you had contact with in the hotel. Thank you so much for your review as it helps us identify areas that need improvement. Have a nice day.
Sidmouth
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

The hotel is on the outskirts of town but there is a good bus route which will drop you in town for a couple of dollars. This hotel and is 5 star all round, the staff are very pleasant and very helpful. Rooms are large as are the beds. A good place to stay when going to visit the attractions of Memphis.

Room Tip: All rooms are good